Astronaut spines

Mark Kelly grew 1.5 inches over a year in space, but shrank back to his original size within 2 days after landing.

Imagine my disappointment when I opened this thread and saw that it wasn't about @denverpilot getting an experimental spine replacement surgery and shopping around for what type of spine is best.

Mark Kelly grew 1.5 inches over a year in space, but shrank back to his original size within 2 days after landing.
Skylab astronaut Bill Pogue reported spinal lengthening of about two inches, happening in a matter of days.

Ron Wanttaja

I wonder if the prolonged time in space helps heal/rebuild discs with less pressure on them for a prolonged period. Seems like it the decompression would be helpful, even if the return to Earth's gravity causes overall height to return to normal.

I wonder if the prolonged time in space helps heal/rebuild discs with less pressure on them for a prolonged period. Seems like it the decompression would be helpful, even if the return to Earth's gravity causes overall height to return to normal.

Interesting idea. I think there's also a bone density loss problem with extended zero-G, so while you might heal the bone, it could wind up more fragile.

If we could solve the economical portion of the lift equation, it might become feasible to have multiple shorter term stays.

Interesting idea. I think there's also a bone density loss problem with extended zero-G, so while you might heal the bone, it could wind up more fragile.

If we could solve the economical portion of the lift equation, it might become feasible to have multiple shorter term stays.
Right, I was just speaking specifically to the spinal spongy joint tissue. However, the bone density loss is pretty alarming as well, not to mention the increased risk for other diseases due to being at much greater exposure due to lack of ozone/atmosphere.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Myostatin was curative for space bound muscle loss, which can help with skeletal density as well.

Our bone structure is continually being remodeled. A delicate balance between osteoblasts (bone building cells) and osteoclasts (bone destroying cells) maintains our bone density within narrow limits.

This balance is swayed by more stress on bone structure (increased gravity) or less stress (less gravity) or aging.

Prolia (densosumab) (post #6) is an osteoclast inhibitor and sways the balance toward more bone density. It has likely been considered by NASA, and they may be using it or not.

The patient might not enjoy the ride into space.

Just a few Gs. :)

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

on the space shuttle it max'd about 3.5 Gs.... but for quite some time.

Apollo had higher Gs but shorter time period.

but I'm going from memory...

on the space shuttle it max'd about 3.5 Gs.... but for quite some time.

Apollo had higher Gs but shorter time period.

but I'm going from memory...

Capsule re-entry is no picnic, either. Going from what I've read.

Back