Asthma Inhaler

U

Unregistered

Just a quick question I'm about to get my medical and the only medication I actually ever need would be a rescue inhaler for asthma and was wondering if this would be any cause for disqualification or cause any issue?

Thanks!

It depends on the level of use. Mild, well controlled asthma is certifiable. If you're puffing on the thing 5 x /day 15 days out of 30(and going to an ER once per year unable to breathe) that's not mild or well controlled.

So you'll need a letter from your prescribing doc addressing these items.

It is very mild, maybe used once a month at the most and it does work when used. Will i still need the letter with it as mild as it is?

"Mild asthma which has not required acute care of any sort, for which a beta agonist is used approximately a dozen times per year".

Certified.

i had to go through this last spring for my medical. after 7 years of no problem certifying all of the sudden the FAA cares now. so I had to pay the co-pay and burn the insurance co's money for a visit to my primary care physician who has never seen me before to get a note saying basically what bruce wrote above (no ER visits, as needed inhaler use only). It was no sweat other than that.

I fought this battle when I first started flying. If you have a reasonable examiner this should not be a huge hurdle. I have controlled Asthma, and I still have my medical. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back