Asthma disqualifying?

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
I took a coworker of my wife's and his sons flying after work today. Perfect day and all three now want to learn to fly. :D Turns out the younger son has asthma (minor) and my wife doesn't recall him ever using an inhailer this past school year (he was in her class). He has one, but I guess the need is rare. Is this going to be a problem for him when/if he decides to work towards his PP? Or should he consider sport pilot when he is old enough? I suggested that they make sure about the situation before ever seeing an AME (see, Bruce, I've been learning something here).

Thanks.

It's a special issuance. Summary of current status by the doc, pulmonary function (Spirometry) studies, followed annually with the doc's report and PFTs.

special issuance??? I have allergies/asthma, always check the box. Until the last medical I just told the doc that it was under control, occasionaly inhaler use only, usually after exposure to things i'm violently allergic to or heavy physical labor. The last medical I had to get a note from my family doc saying the same thing. If this has gone to a full blown special issuance maybe I'll just quit flying the towplane...

special issuance??? I have allergies/asthma, always check the box. Until the last medical I just told the doc that it was under control,
No doubt you also told the doc it was allergies, not diagnosed asthma. Bruce was specifically discussing the latter.

Mine was diagnosed as asthma though it is basically asymptomatic except when doing strenuous exercise in cold weather. I carry an inhaler which I only use when I have a bad respiratory infection, and as prophylaxis before bicycling in cold weather. Never ever been to the ER for asthma or anything asthma-related. Never got a SI letter, never needed annual letters from docs. First time I needed the PFTs, but the last two medicals, the AME quizzed me and that was that. (My guy isn't quite in Bruce's league, but he is a senior AME who does difficult cases.)

Sounds like it's an easy SI, then. I'll pass that on to them. Good news. They really enjoyed the ride yesterday afternoon.

Tony, thanks. If there is use of medication then it's an SI. The OP's friend's kid has an inhaler and insurance records to prove it. If there is no use of medication, no "attack requiring acute or urgent care in the preceeding 2 years" and a convincing case that there is no functional limitation from it, it's "mild" and there's no SI. :)

Sorry, I've been a tad stressed. One of my three computers crumped and I was up really really late trying to rescue it. I've just shot it between the eyes and will be doing a build on a brandX box.

sorry about your stress. so i use an albuterol inhaler as needed for wheezing, and the doctors have told me i have allergies and asthma since I was about 4 years old. i don't use any other medicine besides the inhaler and haven't for years. i get the letter from my family doc every 5 years at renewal time and I'm OK or do I now have to get an SI?

Tony, you are right on the edge. Make certain you have a clearly written letter from the doc stating that you have had no "attack" which required urgent care in the preceeding several (>>2) years., and that you have no operational limitation from the asthma. I have a few who are regular issuances in that situation. Mostly they puff when the are around Cats, or around animal danders.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back