Asthma and class 3 medical

B

Blahblahblah

Hi so interesting situation. A friend of mine is a middle aged student pilot. He’s met all his requirements and was about only a month out from his check ride. Then he gets a call from the FAA saying they are pursuing legal action against him for exercising the rights of his class 3 medical. Well apparently the AME made a mistake due to his asthma being below the minimum FEV1 level and was issued a medical. The FAA noticed he never qualified so they him sent several letters to him but he never saw them until he was called. He went and tried to do the physical again and blew a 69% on the FEV1. He’s pretty upset about all this being so close to the finish line. Any options for this?

He needs a full evaluation and two year history from a board certified pulmonologist
A desaturation walk test.
And an AME who can "call it in and evaluate with a medical officer, day of exam".
This is a special issuance.

But if FAA legal is on him already, the medical officers will be mum. WTH was this guy thinking, ignoring certified mail from the agency?

No checkride for this fellow....until it's special issued.
DO NOT IGNORE A CERTIFIED LETTER FROM THE FAA. It merely insures it will be the better part of a year before he can legally take a checkride.....

Attachments

• Desaturation_Six_Minute_Walk.test.08.26.21.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
He needs a full evaluation and two year history from a board certified pulmonologist
A desaturation walk test.
And an AME who can "call it in and evaluate with a medical officer, day of exam".
This is a special issuance.

But if FAA legal is on him already, the medical officers will be mum. WTH was this guy thinking, ignoring certified mail from the agency?

No checkride for this fellow....until it's special issued.
DO NOT IGNORE A CERTIFIED LETTER FROM THE FAA. It merely insures it will be the better part of a year before he can legally take a checkride.....
Yeah kinda dumb I know but he fully cooperated and no legal proceedings ended up happening. I thought he could just get on basic med because of his mistakenly issued class 3 but they said since it never even was supposed to happen he wasn’t eligible. He submitted a lot of reports from his doctors and the only thing preventing him from getting it is blowing over %70 on the function test, literally 1%. What’s dumb is the special issuance for COPD is only 60%!

Since Covid everytime I’ve had a certified letter delivered to me it’s just left in the mailbox without my signature even if it was required by the sender.
Yeah, but...it has a tracking number and can be tracked through delivery to OP's mailbox. As I said...fishy.

Back