For Sale AST-3000 Flight Simulator

jafa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
AST-3000 flight simulator for sale - ex flight school.

Full 2-seat cockpit with mechanically linked yokes.
Full (real) instrumentation and radios.
Electro-mechanical trim (electronic controls move mechanical parts to adjust the yoke dampeners).
4 x forward 27" LCD screens, 2 x window 27" LCD screens, 1 instructor screen.

Swapable engine controls and instrumentation modules for Cessna 172, 182, Caravan, Citation, Beechcraft 1900, Piper Saratoga, Seminole. Engine controls are different for each plane - you install the module so you have the right throttle, mix, prop angle levers, etc. You also install the matching engine gauge module and power distribution module (start switches, generator switches, etc).

Supports headsets but not included.

Uses X-Plane computer for the visuals, AST 3000 computer for simulation + instrumentation, and a third computer for the main pilot display.

I was told it was rated for logging hours but I didn't see paperwork - will have to go through the boxes again.

Note that this simulator is painfully accurate. First time in the Citation it wouldn't start after a few failed attempts - turns out it had simulated the battery going flat! Hint - got to be above idle for generator / power take-off to engage. Guide slope lights work if you configure things right for the airport.

Located in the Bay Area California. Can be moved with a lift-gate truck.

Estimated value is around $25k but open to offers.

Pictures coming once approved by a moderator.

Nick

More info...

Includes the following instrumentation hardware:
KMA 24 TSO
Garmin GNS 430 GPS
KLN 94 TSO
KX 165 TSO
KR 87 TSO

Most of the gauges are Bendix/King.

Been a lot of people getting scammed for simulators on other forums, apparently pilots are ripe targets. Make sure you know who you are dealing with and trust no one. Caveat emptor.

Pilot side has the following analog gauges (real):
Compass with ADF, Air speed indicator, turn coordinator, Nav/GS indicator with OBS control, Chronometer, Altitude, Vertical speed indicator, engine gauges (2 to 8 depending on the module installed), L and R fuel, L and R fuel pressure, L and R DC load, L and R cyl head temp, L and R oil temp, L and R oil pressure, and N1/HLD/N2. Pilot side also has center LCD panel for digital display.

Copilot side has the following analog gauges (real):
Airspeed, horizon, altitude, gyro suction, turn coordinator, Nav/HDG with controls, vertical speed indicator, EGT indicator, OAT indicator, compass with ADF, hours counter.

Other controls:
breakers, landing gear, flaps, carb heat elevator trim wheel, rudder trim wheel, lights, engine specific controls.

Yoke has electronic trim control and radio button.

Rudder controls are mechanically interlinked as well - if you apply left the right pedal pushes towards you, mechanically duplicated on the 2nd seat.

Been a lot of people getting scammed for simulators on other forums, apparently pilots are ripe targets. Make sure you know who you are dealing with and trust no one. Caveat emptor.
Definitely be safe. I purchased this one a few years back when I was looking to get into flying but I ran out of time to peruse things beyond messing around. Did a few hours in gliders.

Once moderator approved I am happy to post a picture that includes today's date and a reference to this forum. Also happy to show people in person.

Edit - I sent a message with my phone number to the forum "Contact Us".

Nick

Last edited:
I made three videos with my phone...

Cockpit video:

Mechanics video:

Modules video:

Missed one - it also simulates a 206... the engine controls are the same as the 182 so you install the 182/206 modules and make the selection in software.

Upgrades:
I installed SSDs and upgraded the video cards when I first got the simulator some years ago. Visual computer has been upgraded to Windows 10.

Known issues:
The buttons on the Garmin GPS take a bit of pressing to register (common problem in planes as I understand it) - you may want to fix.
When I tried the Citation the engine gauges didn't seem to work. Not sure if I used the wrong module or if there is a problem. The gauges for the 172/182/206 work which is what I was using.
The three computers need to be started in the right order for things to work.

Best to start the simulation on the ground. It can start mid flight or close to landing but that only works if you have been flying and the controls are set perfectly for mid flight.

Also you need to know the frequencies for the different airports for the guidance things and glide slope lights to work.

I was told it was rated for logging hours but I didn't see paperwork - will have to go through the boxes again.
I hope you can find the letter approving this as a training device. Having or not having that can greatly what you will be offered.

Anyone in the Bay Area California interested in coming and taking a look?

I am in Milpitas CA. I need to sell or move it into storage. Open to offers.

Nick

@jafa ... Not interested in purchasing, but curious if you've had any action

@jafa ... Not interested in purchasing, but curious if you've had any action
Haven't had any inquiries so I shipped it with the rest of my household stuff to Phoenix AZ.

Current thinking is to set it up for demonstration then see if any of the schools around here might want to lease it.

I am presently in Queen Creek, how much are you selling the simulator for?

V/R
JRB

Back