Assistance need from Missouri

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
As some of you may know Joplin Missouri was hit by a EF5 tornado on Sunday May 22nd and some 1500 people are still unaccounted for. I am looking for a few pilots in the area willing to help us fly areas of the county in search of victims.

If you are available please contact me at ddavis@jaspercountysheriff.org or 417-358-8177 ext 1109.

I will fly if someone provides the airplane.

Dean, I truly wish we could help. The Citabria battery is dead and we're going to get a new one tomorrow. Plus, we've had so much rain, we can't get the Citabria out of here. The airplane that Tom uses to train in now has radio problems, and we may not be able to contact the Joplin Tower. We're looking at replacing the radio.

Is the TFR still in effect over Joplin?

Dean, is Saturday too late?

If not, I'd be glad to come over and help. Diana, if you want to come along I could pick you up at LLU.

If not, I'd be glad to come over and help. Diana, if you want to come along I could pick you up at LLU.
That would be great! I'd love that. I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend in Joplin who lost her home and her car. If she doesn't need help on Saturday, I'll be available.

Same as Jesse, if someone has a plane I can use I'd be more than happy to lend a hand where I can.

Email sent, I am down in Tampa, but could make it up there this afternoon.

Mike

Thanks to all that have replied. Diana and Tim are the closest to me. I have been working with some local Powered Parachute guys, but the weather is keeping them grounded. I have called CAP but have not heard back from them. I will keep you all updated. I had a chance to leave the office yesterday to look at the damage, it is unbelievable the damage an EF5 tornado can do. The pictures are nothing compared to seeing it first hand.

Dean - as a rule, for State-level activities, CAP is initiated by the Governor's Office, altho Nate can provide more details information about local emergency services.

Tim Winters has stepped up to the plate and has offered to fly it Saturday when the weather clears. Thanks Tim!

And Diana's going to be co-pilot spotter...maybe...if she's free.

I have a commitment to be at MHK on Monday anyway. I could come out early - be there Friday night late or Saturday early - if more help is needed.

Tim, did you put the back seat in again? Maybe I could ride along in the back on the left side to help look down below on your side?

Dean, do you know how long the current disaster TFR will be in effect over Joplin? Is the area that you want to fly over in the TFR? I suppose there will also be a TFR for President Obama's visit on Sunday. I wonder when that TFR will be in effect? I wonder how large the area affected will be? Many of the local airports may be in it, including our farm.

I see that the Westboro Baptist Church group will be there to protest while Obama is there. That should be interesting. :(

Tim, did you put the back seat in again? Maybe I could ride along in the back on the left side to help look down below on your side?

Dean, do you know how long the current disaster TFR will be in effect over Joplin? Is the area that you want to fly over in the TFR? I suppose there will also be a TFR for President Obama's visit on Sunday. I wonder when that TFR will be in effect? I wonder how large the area affected will be? Many of the local airports may be in it, including our farm.

I see that the Westboro Baptist Church group will be there to protest while Obama is there. That should be interesting. :(

I have already taken care of the TFR, all I need to do is call when Tim gets here and give them his N# and we will get the OK to launch.

I have already taken care of the TFR, all I need to do is call when Tim gets here and give them his N# and we will get the OK to launch.
How many other people will be going besides you? Assuming you will be going?

Diana,

Sounds like we have to break our date tomorrow. :(

I just got a note from Dean stating that FEMA is taking over all SAR flights so we're not needed.

Back seat? What's a back seat? Are 182s supposed to have a back seat? :)

I guess I could still come over and we could go harass the Westboro folks. <JK>

Back