Aspiring student here.

Laurence Miers

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Larry in OK
Hi folks.
I'm just starting to pursue a pilot certificate. I'm a few months shy of 60 years old and have had the bug since I was a kid but too many reasons/excuses have gotten in the way. Kind fo feel like if I don't get off the X now it'll never happen. Anyway, it looks like there is a huge amount of good information on the forum. Looking forward to learning all I can here.

Larry.

Hi folks.
I'm just starting to pursue a pilot certificate. I'm a few months shy of 60 years old and have had the bug since I was a kid but too many reasons/excuses have gotten in the way. Kind fo feel like if I don't get off the X now it'll never happen. Anyway, it looks like there is a huge amount of good information on the forum. Looking forward to learning all I can here.

Larry.

Sometimes too much information for a student.

Welcome, Larry! I hope you can make your dream happen!

Do you know the difference between Sport Pilot and Private Pilot?

The reason I ask is you’ll probably seek a 3rd class FAA medical at some point.

BEFORE YOU DO THAT check in here for thoughts. Some meds and conditions, even back in childhood, can result in a denial of your medical. You’re going to want to know that BEFORE submitting any paperwork online to the AME (FAA Dr).

You can fly Sport Pilot as long as you’ve never had a medical denied. If you seek the medical for a Private Pilot and get denied, the Sport Pilot route is also gone.

I feel many newcomers don’t realize this so I wanted to highlight it.

Your training for the PPL can be applied to the Sport Pilot license, so get started! You’ll love it.

Just don’t rush into the medical.

Do you know the difference between Sport Pilot and Private Pilot?

The reason I ask is you’ll probably seek a 3rd class FAA medical at some point.

BEFORE YOU DO THAT check in here for thoughts. Some meds and conditions, even back in childhood, can result in a denial of your medical. You’re going to want to know that BEFORE submitting any paperwork online to the AME (FAA Dr).

You can fly Sport Pilot as long as you’ve never had a medical denied. If you seek the medical for a Private Pilot and get denied, the Sport Pilot route is also gone.

I feel many newcomers don’t realize this so I wanted to highlight it.

Your training for the PPL can be applied to the Sport Pilot license, so get started! You’ll love it.

Just don’t rush into the medical.

Just read the first page of the recent posts, FAA medical isn’t about how healthy you are or even recognized medicine, if you can go drivers license medical (LSA)

Terry, I appreciate the heads-up on medical. I have seen multiple recommendations to get the medical taken care of before going to deep into training so I started looking at the medical stuff and this old man would have to answer YES to at least 4 questions on the checklist. Nothing mentally or physically debilitating though. Type II diabetes on oral meds (A1C of 5.9), HBP well controlled for 20+ years by the same meds that are on the approved list, a lazy thyroid that has me on a med, and I managed to score 3 shoulder surgeries last year, in large part due to arthritic bone spurs, the third one left me with a shoulder that is less than 100% but mostly functional. I haven't committed to anything yet but I am leaning hard to Sport Pilot.

Hi folks.

Larry.
Wow, sound like we are on the same path! I am 59 years old myself and have always been enthralled with aviation. It has been my dream to be a pilot, private or otherwise.
It has just been about six months since I mentioned it to my wife. She insisted that I start the pursuit of my dream. So, I started doing some research and talking to some of my coworkers. Little did I realize that in our group there were two older gentlemen that had been PP Certificated for decades. Also, a coworker is actively training now at the age of 41.

After much discussion and research, I decided to do things a little differently than most. I set up my own self-study course for the Ground School portion (home schooling, sort of). I made it a point to commit at least 10 hours a week to study. I also purchased the 2021 ASA Private Pilot Test Prep booklet. It comes with five free online practice tests. If you score above 80% on at least any two, they will provide the CFI Endorsement you need to take the actual written test. I took the written test (PAR) on 12/11 and made a 97% (missed two). I am now working with a Senior AME for my third-class medical. I have been conversing with him, and I have a physical scheduled for mid-January. I made sure to open a line of discussion with him before I even started down the road for a physical. He is confident that my two conditions can be documented with CACI forms, and he feels that he will be able to issue the certificate when I have my in-person visit. From that point I plan to obtain my Student Pilot Certificate.

I chose to use this approach in order to ensure that I was willing to put as much effort into the process as will be required. By getting through the part considered most tedious (by some, not me), I have convinced myself that the large sum that will be spent to pursue my dream will not be wasted. I really did enjoy getting back into the routine of study and testing. It was actually a welcome distraction from the annoying new pressures at work. Besides, it just seemed to make sense to me. In high school driver's education, we had to study, and then take a written test. Once we had our "learner's permit", we jumped in the car and drove under the watchful eye of the instructor. Why should flying be any different?

Good luck, and keep us posted! If you would like any recommendations for a self-study program, I would be happy to list my resources and equipment purchased so far.

Last edited:
Terry, I appreciate the heads-up on medical. I have seen multiple recommendations to get the medical taken care of before going to deep into training so I started looking at the medical stuff and this old man would have to answer YES to at least 4 questions on the checklist. Nothing mentally or physically debilitating though. Type II diabetes on oral meds (A1C of 5.9), HBP well controlled for 20+ years by the same meds that are on the approved list, a lazy thyroid that has me on a med, and I managed to score 3 shoulder surgeries last year, in large part due to arthritic bone spurs, the third one left me with a shoulder that is less than 100% but mostly functional. I haven't committed to anything yet but I am leaning hard to Sport Pilot.
Well, three of your four listed conditions can easily be handled with the CACI process (Conditions that AME Can Issue). Hypothyroidism, Hypertension, and Arthritis are all common maladies designed to be assessed and approved by the AME. Only pre-diabetes is CACI allowed though. Bummer.

Back