Aspen PFD question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
On the Garmin PFD units I regularly fly (G3X Touch and G500), when you push the CDI button on the navigator to switch between GPS and VLOC mode, the needles on the HSI change colors between magenta (GPS) and green (VLOC).

Today, I flew with a friend who has the Aspen PFD. While following the GPS track programmed into the navigator (GTN750), I noted the HSI showed green.

I asked if the HSI changed colors to indicate the mode and was told it always showed green.

Is this correct for the Aspen? Or can it use the color cues like the Garmin systems?

Isn’t that interesting

74cccbdb94b9e5346599abfbc5adfacd.jpg

I had an Aspen PFD and now upgraded to Aspen Pro Max…
The CDI/HSI info (lower half of screen) is always Green for the primary Nav. It is possible to have up to 2 more “pointers” on the HSI such as a VOR that I’ve tuned, those show up in a different color (I think Cyan). Mine is fed from both a Garmin 430w and a Kx155.

You asked about “change colors to indicate mode” well the “Mode” is indicated by the status text, to the upper-left of the CDI/HSI. For a VOR or Localizer it tells me what frequency it’s reading from. When on GPS, it tells me what fix its pointing towards and counts-down time to arrive.

(Not sitting in my plane now, but this is as I remember it.).

Back