Aspen MPH vs. KTS

Brian Dilse

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Dilse
So, the original 172 POH is in MPH. I understand you must then use MPH for the airspeeds in your Aspen (obviously) per the type certificate.

BUT, what I didn't know, is I am told, you cannot discriminate the IAS tape in MPH and choose wind direction/ground speed in KTS.

Either all MPH or all KTS for everything.

Does that sound right? I prefer having MPH on the IAS anyway, as the original analog ASI is MPH…but having ground speed and wind direction displayed in MPH is annoying.

Is my avionics guy right? you would think you could program what you want for units not needed for airworthiness

It's easy enough to google how to access the setup menu for the Aspen. I haven't been in it for awhile so can't tell you how to get in there but single unit set up sounds right.

Yes, it confirms what my avionics guys says….all MPH or KTS, no mix matching…and its hard set at installation…he needs to use the POH/type certificate numbers…unfortunately, MPH

I hope there is some work around…MPH for indicated airspeed/limit/V-speeds…fine, that works for me, but no option to use KTS instead of MPH for GS/windloft….mildly annoying

Even if you keep the original ASI? I would think a non primary instrument you could change it.

Even if you keep the original ASI? I would think a non primary instrument you could change it.

This is the argument I'm trying to win with my avionics guy…per STC, I need my original ASI for one PDF Pro….the original ASI is in MPH. Then, I could convert all the limits to KTS on my PFD, but "reference" the ASI in MPH to keep it legal sheemegal

My airplane is all in KTS. I would think that having some stuff in MPH and others in KTS would be very confusing and prone to mis-reading things.

See page 118 of the Installation Manual (google it). Let the shop set it up however necessary to make them happy and return the plane to service. Then change it yourself. Easy.

Back