Aspen info

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Need to be in Aspen in mid July for 2 nights (Fri-Sun). Anyone recently gone there and wants to share their info?
Questions that come to mind:
Which FBO and how much $$$?
Does everyone land RWY 15, regardless of winds, or can you request 33 if better?

I am an easily-scared daytime VFR pilot only. We can go to 18,000 ft with our 260hp C182, so we can approach from any direction (have oxygen and routinely fly above 14,000 in the Rockies). Landed at KEGE twice (and Leadville and Telluride), but never Aspen.
Thank you

When you say you routinely fly the Rockies - which parts of the Rockies?

Personally, I'd suggest landing at Rangely, then borrow/rent a car for the drive to Aspen. Leadville is easy, Aspen is completely different. It's a one-way runway - you really can't land on 33, the mountain at the SE end gets in the way. Take a look at any of the instrument charts.

As for pricing, call the FBO for all the info. Aint cheap.

Density altitude will get ya in the summer, as you well know.

Never been to Aspen, at least on the ground (just flown over a couple of times), but... Give yourself some credit. If you fly between all those rocks, you're not THAT easily scared. Plenty of folks here who wouldn't dare do that.

I'm guessing, by the number of bizjets I saw on the ramp (70-100) that it's pretty expensive... And it looks like there's one FBO (strike two) and it's Atlantic Aviation (strikes three, four, and five). It might be cheaper to just wear a chute, bail out over the airport, and then buy a new airplane the following week. :rofl: But the most reliable method is to call.

Glenwood Springs!
See redboard post, Momo, save $250. Besides all the good eating is in Basalt, El jebel, & Glenwood.
Smoke
Nepal
Riverside Grille

Been into KASE 34 times, but I go to GWS when it’s VFR. Say “hi” to Hector for me, at the shop at the East end of the field for me..a good mech :)

Last edited:
Jut for grins....I’m watching flightradar and at this timestamp, an AA bombardier did 2 missed approaches...waiting to see if the 3rd time’s the charm. 360 @ 7, 1500 ft overcast

Jut for grins....I’m watching flightradar and at this timestamp, an AA bombardier did 2 missed approaches...waiting to see if the 3rd time’s the charm. 360 @ 7, 1500 ft overcast

That’s not American Airlines, it’s Skywest

That’s not American Airlines, it’s Skywest
skywest under banner of AA and United runs a number of flights. The one I was following was if we’re looking at the same flight was under AA.

I used to go to Aspen at least once a month, and in the winter sometimes once a week or so, but that was years ago, and I don't miss it.
Aspen is pretty much a one way in and out, and you will be on final while they launch planes in the opposite direction outbound.
You can sometimes get some wind shear on final off the last hills on your right, and be prepared for landing with some tailwind. You will only go there in the daytime, so don't even consider it at night or if the weather is iffy, divert to somewhere else. DA will be an eye opener in the summer time.
I would watch some videos to get a feel for the terrain and the sight picture of the landmarks.
There is always something going on in Aspen, summer and winter, so it's crowded and expensive, but the scenery is beautiful too.
Other options are Eagle, Glenwood Springs or Rifle.

https://www.boldmethod.com/blog/2014/01/aspen-approach/

http://code7700.com/kase.htm

Last edited:
Back