Aspen in aerobatics question

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
I'm curious if anyone has experience with an Aspen PFD and aerobatics. My electric gyros tumble easily and I hate to abuse them. I enjoy acro and would like to get IFR current and be able to file occasionally so I don't want to destroy them.

I have heard one person's experience with a G600 system is red Xs, although the system recovers well as soon as the flying becomes more "normal."

Ernie

Electric gyros (as in driven by an electric motor) or electronic (as in MEMS. or "solid state" gyros)?

My understandng is that the MEMS type devices can't be damaged with acro.

Aspen requires a pneumatic back up AFAIK
Not necessarily, although it's a common option.

Like many Diamonds you can make your airplane all-electric if you have two independent sources of energy and independent buses for your primary and backup attitude gyros.

Even with that, however, for some reason the FAA won't sign off on two Aspens independently powered, but that may be due to some factor besides the instrument itself. I don't know why but the Aspen guy at AOPA was pretty disgusted. Aspen's working on a standby instrument based on their componenets and that WILL be ok as a backup, similar to the L3 Trilogy.

I was just discussing ditching the vac system in my plane and was told it was a non starter as electric back ups such as what i have installed don't cut it.

Might have to do some more digging.

I was also told they are working on approval for dual aspen installations.

I fly Advanced in an extra 200 with an Aspen. I only turn it on durign cross country flights and the sequence card goes over it during acro anyway. But with that said, after 3 seasons the thing works perfectly fine.

Adam

I fly Advanced in an extra 200 with an Aspen. I only turn it on durign cross country flights and the sequence card goes over it during acro anyway. But with that said, after 3 seasons the thing works perfectly fine.

Adam

Thanks, that is the feedback I was looking for.

Ernie

Back