Aspen Evolution......what compares?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I am trying to decide if the Evolution is going to be installed in my archer. I have a quote of $11k

Are there any others near this price point that compete with the Evolution? I'm not really trying to go all glass, but I'm not opposed to it either.

Also, would it be overkill if I also installed a Sandel 3500?

Any suggestions from the crowd?

I don't see much of a point in a Sandel if you're considering an Aspen. For the price of an Aspen, there reallyisnt any comparison.

I've had one for about 3.5 years and now have SV. It's mostly a good system. I've had a couple of reliability issues, but Aspen has handled them wonderfully.

I have the aspen,no issues, great space saver.

A single panel Aspen and a GTN are a good pair. We have that in the Bonanza and are very happy.

And consider spending the small money on a new panel overlay like we did. The few hundred this costs goes a looong way toward increasing the perceived value of the aircraft.

Attachments

• v35panel.png
    v35panel.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 198
The only other things are the G-500 and some even more expensive units.

A single panel Aspen and a GTN are a good pair. We have that in the Bonanza and are very happy.

And consider spending the small money on a new panel overlay like we did. The few hundred this costs goes a looong way toward increasing the perceived value of the aircraft.

That looks really nice. Clean and modern. That's on my list.

I wish Garmin did a certified version of the G-300 series, that and a 750 would be perfect.

I have the same set up in my 182. I think aspen is the best bang for the buck in aviation. Plus if you have an autopilot, it gets you gpss steering.

Jim

Nice looking panel. Panel overlay for a few hundred? More info please.

Contact Trevor @ TechAero in Denton. He did the work for us.
(940) 387-6637
http://www.techaeroavionics.com/

Yeah, Vintage had a whole new panel done in a water jet, I remember the cost on it was cheap as chips, it was less than the hose supplies for the P-Stat system, that crap was like 15¢ in inch.:yikes: CAD-CAM technology makes it cheap and easy, you email them the pattern, they download it and load the sheet and 20 minutes later a panel appears steady for the counter sink and paint.

Last edited:
Installing a Sandel 3500 might end up costing more than an Aspen.

Been flying behind a set of Aspens for a couple of years. Very happy with them. So much packed into the units.

7e8d0d1464283f273b9881bd0e6ad50c.jpg

I like the Aspen the Archer which I trained on has one. BUT if I was going to add full glass the Garmin 500/600 would be my preference. BTW Marauder, that is one sweet panel you have in your Mooney! You definitely spent some serious $$$ on it. Is that a Mooney 201J?

I'm chewing on it.....also looking at an EDM 900 as well. Not sure what I want to do.

Been flying behind a set of Aspens for a couple of years. Very happy with them. So much packed into the units.

7e8d0d1464283f273b9881bd0e6ad50c.jpg

Nice panel....:thumbsup:...

And.... That is exactly what my altimeter looks like sitting in my hangar at Jackson Hole...:yes::D

And.... That is exactly what my altimeter looks like sitting in my hangar at Jackson Hole...:yes::D

I remember that! Took a couple seconds for the turbos on the Navajo to spool up. But once they did, still made around 45". :D

I like the Aspen the Archer which I trained on has one. BUT if I was going to add full glass the Garmin 500/600 would be my preference. BTW Marauder, that is one sweet panel you have in your Mooney! You definitely spent some serious $$$ on it. Is that a Mooney 201J?

Yeah, I had used both the Aspen and G-600 (in the same plane lol) and for me the choice was simple to get the G-500, the Aspen wasn't really in the running. However, the 750 was not available at that time either. The main deciding point was the screen real estate:information ratio. With the 430 I needed 2 Aspens, and the G-500 was little more with twice the screen area.The Aspen and 430 did not provide enough, however an Aspen and 750 combo would likely be ok, but I haven't flown that combo yet. If the G3 series was certified, 2 of those with a 750, SL-30 and engine panel in the middle would be an awesome set up.

Last edited:
I have an Aspen in my Archer II and love it. Very reliable.
10151774_388733794613554_5013121099677270185_n.jpg

I have the single Aspen Pro w/SVT, a 750 and a 650 and am VERY happy with the setup. I also installed an MVP 50 and the only thing I would do differently next time is figure a way to mount the MVP on the pilot side.
I removed the old Sandel and gave it away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice panel....:thumbsup:...

LOL! If I were sitting at a field elevation of 6,500' I'd be owning a turbo version! Thanks for the comment.

How much is the difference for the G500/G600 setups?

Depends entirely on what difference you're looking for...

Single screen Aspen is about 10 amu + install
add a screen for 10 more amu or cheap out for 5 amu and not have redundancy
add a third screen for 5 amu

Three Aspens is just about equal to a G500 in terms of cost. I think the G600 is another 5 to 10 amu.

A single Aspen with a 430w or better and a two axis autopilot is pretty darn good in terms of IFR operation.

I had a single Aspen unit in my 421, I really liked it! Great unit, I wish the screen was a little larger. I installed a G600 in my 425 and it's wonderful!! A lot more money than Aspen, but I justified the additional expense as a smaller % of the airplane's value! :D
Given the choice, I prefer the G-500/600, whatever fits your type. IF I go with something for my 182, it will likely be Aspen just based on cost. :D
The Synthetic Vision is OK on the G600, but I don't think I'd pay extra for it on a G500.

The Synthetic Vision is OK on the G600, but I don't think I'd pay extra for it on a G500.

I agree completely on SV. I use the terrain clearance info on the plan view (HSI) but think the actual SV on the AI is useless. Now the glide slope and localizer guidance on the AI, that's another story and worth the price of admission...I wish someone would figure out how to present the vertical guidance on the AI prior to the FAF...

Persoanlly I'm not a big fan on the touch screens.

I'm flying a sandel/530/430 and I don't see any value in "upgrading" to a quasi glass panel.

In you do go aspen or garmin 300 or something having a EHSI is a waste of money.

I remember that! Took a couple seconds for the turbos on the Navajo to spool up. But once they did, still made around 45". :D

What ever happened to that nicely painted plane ??? Is it still flying??:dunno:

I wish someone would figure out how to present the vertical guidance on the AI prior to the FAF...

Not sure I follow you. On the Aspen PFD, I get both horizontal and vertical on the AI before I reached the FAF. Are you talking about something other than the Aspen? BTW -- I love the indicators on the AI. Makes it really nice. Does the G500 do that?

Not sure I follow you. On the Aspen PFD, I get both horizontal and vertical on the AI before I reached the FAF. Are you talking about something other than the Aspen? BTW -- I love the indicators on the AI. Makes it really nice. Does the G500 do that?

Vertical guidance prior to the GS intercept on the Aspen? I don't think so. Yes, I realize I'm changing my argument a little bit but that's what I really mean. I want minimum altitude guidance prior to glide-slope intercept so I don't have to look at the plate again.

I've had an Aspen in the 'kota for five years now...

What ever happened to that nicely painted plane ??? Is it still flying??:dunno:

It is! That was my boss's Navajo. I haven't flown it since moving here.

My Tiger came with a single Aspen and a GTN 650. Not sure if I would spend what it would cost to do it myself, but a very nice setup. Only complaint is that the 650 is a bit small.

Size is my complaint about the 430 and the 650. :D

My Tiger came with a single Aspen and a GTN 650. Not sure if I would spend what it would cost to do it myself, but a very nice setup. Only complaint is that the 650 is a bit small.

If size is a desire get a 430W / MX20 (with plates, VFR, IFR ETC) and a Sandel.

Id think you'd have more situational awareness with that setup, if you can haggle you could probably score a deal on it too.

If size is a desire get a 430W / MX20 (with plates, VFR, IFR ETC) and a Sandel.

Id think you'd have more situational awareness with that setup, if you can haggle you could probably score a deal on it too.

Or get GDL88&flightstream, use bigger ipad to display moving map, traffic and wx

Size is my complaint about the 430 and the 650. :D

Why do I imagine that when Ford announced the Excursion SAV (suburban assault vehicles) you were in oversized rapture?

That's a gorgeous panel.

Why do I imagine that when Ford announced the Excursion SAV (suburban assault vehicles) you were in oversized rapture?

I had a 2000 Excursion. One of, if not the, best vehicle I've ever owned. I shouldn't have sold it.

Back