Aspen Evolution added to Bo

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
My former instrument student and now good friend just added the Aspen Evolution to his A36's panel, as well as a Garmin 430W to drive it. They did a really nice job on the installation. He included the Synthetic Vision option for the Evo which is pretty impressive. We took it for a spin this afternoon and shot several approaches. The GPSS worked well, too....flew a perfect holding pattern without us doing a thing. I'm looking forward to some future trips with this setup.

Photo attached with it flying the hold.

Attachments

• Bo_AspenEvo.jpg
    Bo_AspenEvo.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 136
I've certainly enjoyed the one in the 310. Haven't added synthetic vision yet, but that might be next year's upgrade. One of my friends who has it said he only uses it on the top half to make the HSI more visible.

I've certainly enjoyed the one in the 310. Haven't added synthetic vision yet, but that might be next year's upgrade. One of my friends who has it said he only uses it on the top half to make the HSI more visible.

I think it's probably the most cost effective glass upgrade for legacy panels in certified aircraft. Using the whole screen for SV didn't seem too distracting, but it's pretty early in the game. It's cool to watch the runway grow and the numbers slide beneath you as you approach your touchdown point!

It's cool to watch the runway grow and the numbers slide beneath you as you approach your touchdown point!

Just so long as you are using the real runway as primary. Those database runways aren't always where they are supposed to be.

That looks like a great setup, for the AHRS alone! Now that I've got a kid on the way I've about lost all desire to fly IMC behind mechanical gyros. It used to be an interesting challenge when flying solo giving myself the leans behind these error-laden POS instruments, but these days it's IMC behind AHRS or I just stay VMC in my recreational flying. The accuracy difference is just so significant I can't believe the stupidity of years flying behind mech gyros I essentially survived for a lack of better term.

The installed pricing of their VFR-software PFD model is hovering around 10K, which is encouraging. I'll def continue to watch their pricing in the next couple of years. As much as I despise the overpriced nature of everything certified, this is one panel upgrade I now consider a must for real-world single-pilot IMC flying.

Just so long as you are using the real runway as primary. Those database runways aren't always where they are supposed to be.

It would take a significant emergency to deviate from the regs and land with SV only. But if it got that bad I'd take a shot.

Last edited:
It would take significant emergency to deviate from the regs and land with SV only. But if it got that bad I'd take a shot.

+1. It's better than the non-SV emergency checklist:

1) Pray
2) Pray more

My former instrument student and now good friend just added the Aspen Evolution to his A36's panel, as well as a Garmin 430W to drive it. They did a really nice job on the installation. He included the Synthetic Vision option for the Evo which is pretty impressive. We took it for a spin this afternoon and shot several approaches. The GPSS worked well, too....flew a perfect holding pattern without us doing a thing. I'm looking forward to some future trips with this setup.

Photo attached with it flying the hold.

Is there an STC for that pen holder? :D

I have an Aspen in the 421, how much is the SV option to add?

It's in that realm. I think I remember on the website $2,200, and then an additional $700 if you have a second Aspen.

Aspen has a deal now where if you call up and ask them about a future install, they'll give you a $500 credit. Maybe that applies to SV? :)

It's in that realm. I think I remember on the website $2,200, and then an additional $700 if you have a second Aspen.

Aspen has a deal now where if you call up and ask them about a future install, they'll give you a $500 credit. Maybe that applies to SV? :)

I assume there are regular updates on SV along with the terrain and such. Are those on 28 day or longer cycles?

It would take a significant emergency to deviate from the regs and land with SV only. But if it got that bad I'd take a shot.

That depends. If I had your hypothetical significant emergency, which I presume would be all airports in the area are reporting "zero zero" and I have no where else to go, the Number 1 item on my emergency checklist would be "Find an LPV IAP and use it."

Centered LPV needles will take you to the runway, the SV runway may or may not.

Number 2 on my checklist would be an LPV runway with ALS and HIRLs.

I assume there are regular updates on SV along with the terrain and such. Are those on 28 day or longer cycles?

There is a cycle for terrain, and I'd assume SV as well. I have no idea what the cycle would be for that or who you get it from.

The terrain is very infrequent (we don't have many topo changes occurring -- few Mount St. Helen events) :) The big changes are in the man made obstacle database. That is the one I see changing frequently. Especially with all these new windmills I see going up.

I want SV to show the windmills with the blades spinning. ;)

I want SV to show the windmills with the blades spinning. ;)

In time Ted, in time... :) It is amazing to see how far this technology has come over the past 5 years.

Back