Aspen E5 Software Unlock

Flybuddy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flybuddy
I've got this tentatively scheduled for tomorrow but the avionics shop has never done one and he only has a small window to do it. If it takes too long I may have to go back next week. It seems like it'd be a simple software update BUT sometimes they aren't that simple like the Avidyne operating system updates.
Has anyone had this unlock feature with the E5 done yet. If so, how long did it take and were there any glitches? thx

The unlock process is simple. Every E5 is actually a Max Pro. There is dongle to unlock the capability already installed.

Thx ND, just got an email back from Aspen saying it's a 5 minute procedure. Shop manager is nervous because he's never done one and is squeezing me in.

I had mine done a two weeks ago. Its a very simple process. The shop did have to pull the E5 out to apply a new sticker to the side of the casing to show its software version. But that took all of 2 minutes to complete.

I also have the air-data unlock installed as well. Once the software is updated, and the air-data unlock is done, theres a few settings they'll need to make in the configuration to enable the air data on the display. It's turned off by default. They'll also need to select the source of the OAT as the RSM.

The entire process of doing the software unlock AND the air data unlock was probably 20 minutes? Mine wasn't done from the dongle (the config module), it was all done via micro SD cards right on the front of the display.

Heres what it looks like in flight:
https://i.imgur.com/G98yLOH.jpg

G98yLOH.jpg

Your Aspen E5 looks very nice Lynn! I especially like how nice it lays up against (or passes through?) your plastic panel overlay! Whoever installed it did a great job!

What make and model airplane is your E5 installed in? (EDIT: DUH! I just noticed your avatar). And what other equipment is your E5 interfaced with?

I’m planning an upgrade and considering either an Aspen E5 or a pair of Garmin G5’s. Can you also tell me where your RSM is mounted? Top? Bottom? Inside? Outside?

Thanks! ZT

Last edited:
Hi ZT! Thanks for the comments. Thom Duncan Avionics in Fayetteville TN, (KFYM) is the shop that did the install. He very nicely trimmed the Cessna plastic overlay to fit the E5 and then he made a custom bracket to mount it, since Cardinals have an odd tilt on their gyro instruments. Its a very, very well done install. My E5 is interfaced with an IFD540 and a TruTrak autopilot. I am VERY dissappointed in the "integration" between the E5 and the TruTrak....it simply doesnt really exist. I had to have Thom install a source selector toggle switch to flip my TruTrak from the E5 to the IFD540 so that I could fly coupled approaches. The E5 WILL NOT send vertical steering commands that it receives from the IFD540 to the TruTrak. You need those to fly a coupled approach. To get a full couped approach, I have to flip a toggle so that the TruTrak talks to the IFD and NOT the E5. Its a horrible integration.

My RSM is mounted on the top, outside, on the turtle deck, just behind the rear window in my Cardinal RG. you;ll want the RSM on the outside since it houses the OAT sensor inside it.

Honestly, I'd skip the Aspen E5. It wasn;t worth the money to me, I was REALLY hoping for the promised integration with the TruTrak, but Aspen simply totally missed the ball by jacking up the vertical flags that it gets from the Avidyne. This is a stupid simple fix----- just pass the damn vertical information that it gets from the Avidyne without modifying it---- but they still havent fixed it. Andy Smith from Aspen has told me that it will likely be a while, if ever, for them to actually fix this. Right now, Aspen is saying its TruTrak, and TruTrak is saying its Aspen.

At least with the G5's you'll get tiny toy sized displays, but actually get usable integration with other stuff.. Especially the GFC500.

I am VERY dissappointed in the "integration" between the E5 and the TruTrak....it simply doesnt really exist. I had to have Thom install a source selector toggle switch to flip my TruTrak from the E5 to the IFD540 so that I could fly coupled approaches. The E5 WILL NOT send vertical steering commands that it receives from the IFD540 to the TruTrak...

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Lynn!
I remember reading you unlocked new software early this year but I'm curious though, how long ago you installed your E5?

You're not the first I've heard report their dissatisfaction with the TruTrak. But then again I've read stellar reviews by quite a few others who couldn't be happier with their TT installations; though I should note that most of them had opted for the dual G5s instead of the E5. But from everything I've seen in the TruTrak and E5 install manuals, your setup seems fairly typical and should have worked fine! I do have to assume your E5 installation also included the Aspen ACU module. The ACU supposedly is what makes it all work together.

In addition to the GNC355 to replace my #2 KX170B, my current plan would include leaving my KXI75B/KI214 in the panel and tying both to the TruTrak. I corresponded with a Charlie Reiche from Aspen who advised this was all doable provided the ACU is installed... including the glide slope up/down/+flag/-flag signals from the KI214.

"The Aspen system needs to have an ACU in place if the PFD is to act as the GPSS converter for the Trutrak. You will need to contact Bendix King / Trutrak for what compatibility they have approved on their STC when no ACU is installed.

If you want to connect a KX-175B to the E5, yes the ACU is required. See the top section of Figure 9-15 for KX-175B connections. If you also have a glideslope receiver integrated with the KX-175B, see notes 2 and 3 for the glideslope receiver connections."

Right now, Aspen is saying its TruTrak, and TruTrak is saying its Aspen.
Duly noted! And exactly what I'd like to avoid!

ZT

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Lynn!
I remember reading you unlocked new software early this year but I'm curious though, how long ago you installed your E5?

You're not the first I've heard report their dissatisfaction with the TruTrak. But then again I've read stellar reviews by quite a few others who couldn't be happier with their TT installations; though I should note that most of them had opted for the dual G5s instead of the E5. But from everything I've seen in the TruTrak and E5 install manuals, your setup seems fairly typical and should have worked fine! I do have to assume your E5 installation also included the Aspen ACU module. The ACU supposedly is what makes it all work together.

In addition to the GNC355 to replace my #2 KX170B, my current plan would include leaving my KXI75B/KI214 in the panel and tying both to the TruTrak. I corresponded with a Charlie Reiche from Aspen who advised this was all doable provided the ACU is installed... including the glide slope up/down/+flag/-flag signals from the KI214.

"The Aspen system needs to have an ACU in place if the PFD is to act as the GPSS converter for the Trutrak. You will need to contact Bendix King / Trutrak for what compatibility they have approved on their STC when no ACU is installed.

If you want to connect a KX-175B to the E5, yes the ACU is required. See the top section of Figure 9-15 for KX-175B connections. If you also have a glideslope receiver integrated with the KX-175B, see notes 2 and 3 for the glideslope receiver connections."

Duly noted! And exactly what I'd like to avoid!

ZT

Iet me be clear: I LOVE my TruTrak. The autopilot flies great and will do coupled approaches when its direct connected to the IFD540 via the source selector switch. HOWEVER, I DO NOT like the Aspen E5. The "integration" Aspen promised is horrible. It's half-assed at best. this is not a fault of TruTrak, its squarely on Aspen for this.

My install is typical, and we have verified from both Aspen and Trutrak that its working correctly, everything is setup correctly and that the "limitations" are exactly that: You're not going to get GPSS vertical steering passed through the E5.....EVEN if your navigator sends everything correctly (which my IFD540 does, because the TT flies coupled perfectly when direct connected to the IFD540).

I'd be very, very skeptical of what Aspen is telling you on the ACU. I've heard conflicting reports that it works to pass vertical flags correctly (mine in response to the GPSS from the IFD540). No one from Aspen will give the same answer which is horrible.

I would ask Charlie Reiche if the ACU will pass the proper vertical information to the TruTrak that the E5 gets from your navigator essentially like this: IFR Navigator --> Aspen E5 --> TruTrak

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply Lynn!

Just to be clear... did your E5 installation NOT INCLUDE the Aspen ACU?

PLMK! ZT

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply Lynn!

Just to be clear... did your E5 installation NOT INCLUDE the Aspen ACU?

PLMK! ZT

No, it did not. It was an extra $1000 plus install costs if memory serves correctly. We were told the ACU would not give me anything else other than a second NAV radio input. I have an IFD540 for my primary NAV/COMM radio, and a Narco NAV-122 all-in-one unit that I didn't need feeding the Aspen.

Thanks Lynn! That helps a lot too!

I’m certainly no expert but, based on what I think I’ve learned, the Aspen ACU may have solved your coupled vloc/ ils /TT problem. I hope so because I’d like to keep my KX175/KI214 in the mix for and would like to be able select it as a nav/loc/ils source on the E5 for the autopilot. I’m still looking at the E5’s and G5’s requirements for backup nav indicators other than the E5’s HSI. I do know that Aspen allows you to parallel existing CDIs when connecting to E5 or ACU but not sure if that’s the case with the G5’s.

Anyway, I’m glad you’ve got yours all working satisfactorily now and I do appreciate your thoughtful replies!
ZT

Thanks Lynn! That helps a lot too!

I’m certainly no expert but, based on what I think I’ve learned, the Aspen ACU may have solved your coupled vloc/ ils /TT problem. I hope so because I’d like to keep my KX175/KI214 in the mix for and would like to be able select it as a nav/loc/ils source on the E5 for the autopilot. I’m still looking at the E5’s and G5’s requirements for backup nav indicators other than the E5’s HSI. I do know that Aspen allows you to parallel existing CDIs when connecting to E5 or ACU but not sure if that’s the case with the G5’s.

Anyway, I’m glad you’ve got yours all working satisfactorily now and I do appreciate your thoughtful replies!
ZT

Well, my E5 IS NOT working satisfactorily. Thats the problem. The ACU *might* add vertical guidance to the trutrak for an analog NAV radio source like an ILS glidepath. But I don't think that it will add the GPSS vertical guidance that comes from an RNAV approach. I am NOT HAPPY with my E5. It was a total waste of money in my opinion. I should have gone with G5's and a GFC500 as I would have complete functionality (including electric / automatice trim). The problem is that the Aspen is NOT passing the vertical guidance that it gets from the RNAV information coming from the Avidyne to the Trutrak with the correct flags. The Aspen changes these flags (or doesn't pass them at all). When I have my Trutrak direct connected to the Avidyne, I DO get vertical guidance (this takes the E5 completely out of the scenario though).

I was one of the very first to purchase the Aspen E5, the promise of the Aspen's integrations with the trutrak is what drove me to buy a TruTrak. Aspen never came through on their comittment to us TruTrak owners and the "integration" they delivered is half-assed, and not worth the money. Especially considering you give up redundancy by not having a second unit to revert to.

From what I have been told (and its always a very very differnt story from the Aspen people...no one can/will give me straight answer) is that an ACU would have allowed me to connect an ANALOG source so that I could fly an ANALOG ILS on my TruTrak. It does nothing for GPSS (digital) stuff coming from any source. Now, I am not an avionics expert, don't claim to be. I'm simply saying that no one can give me any solid answers, and my avionics guy is VERY skilled in what he does (he's an Aspen and Garmin Dealer), and I am tired of throwing gobs of wasted cash at this problem when it seems to always come back to Aspen not getting their crap together.

It's also worth mentioning that my Aspen E5 has failed on me three times in flight (two of them were in actual IMC getting IFR training) It simply reboots for no apparent reason. Aspen knows about this issue, and has issued a service bulletin, and even delivered a software update..get this... for the MAX units ONLY!!!!! My E5 is the same dang hardware, but they don't have a timeline as to when they are going to release the fix for the E5's to stop the random rebooting.

I was a HUGE fan of both Aspen and TruTrak (see my previous posts before all this current drama). But after spending thousands upon thousands of dollars, and getting the freaking run-around with Aspen and TruTrak, I am saying **** on them now. Spend your hard earned money on something else that actually works, and a company that actually delivers what they promise.

@Lynn Dixon I’m in the contemplation phase of an upgrade, and I am interested to know if your issues have been resolved or addressed to any degree.

@Lynn Dixon I’m in the contemplation phase of an upgrade, and I am interested to know if your issues have been resolved or addressed to any degree.

Nope. None of my issues have been resolved and I am still very much not happy with the Aspen and Trutrak. Recently my Trutrak has been having problems holding altitude. It wants to dive and climb and starts oscillation and never can seem to hold any altitude. No help from bendix of course. Aspen had a recent AD issues against them this week.
So yeah.
Stay far far away from Aspen and Trutrak. I am really regretting my decision to spend so much money on this garbage.

Wow. Well, I had been debating e5 vs dual G5 The ding on the E5- before reading this - was no vertical guide for the Trio auto pilot. Sounds similar to the TT issue. Think I'll stay away. Sorry you're having so many issues but thanks for sharing. Helpful.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Hi ZT! Thanks for the comments. Thom Duncan Avionics in Fayetteville TN, (KFYM) is the shop that did the install. He very nicely trimmed the Cessna plastic overlay to fit the E5 and then he made a custom bracket to mount it, since Cardinals have an odd tilt on their gyro instruments. Its a very, very well done install. My E5 is interfaced with an IFD540 and a TruTrak autopilot. I am VERY dissappointed in the "integration" between the E5 and the TruTrak....it simply doesnt really exist. I had to have Thom install a source selector toggle switch to flip my TruTrak from the E5 to the IFD540 so that I could fly coupled approaches. The E5 WILL NOT send vertical steering commands that it receives from the IFD540 to the TruTrak. You need those to fly a coupled approach. To get a full couped approach, I have to flip a toggle so that the TruTrak talks to the IFD and NOT the E5. Its a horrible integration.

My RSM is mounted on the top, outside, on the turtle deck, just behind the rear window in my Cardinal RG. you;ll want the RSM on the outside since it houses the OAT sensor inside it.

Honestly, I'd skip the Aspen E5. It wasn;t worth the money to me, I was REALLY hoping for the promised integration with the TruTrak, but Aspen simply totally missed the ball by jacking up the vertical flags that it gets from the Avidyne. This is a stupid simple fix----- just pass the damn vertical information that it gets from the Avidyne without modifying it---- but they still havent fixed it. Andy Smith from Aspen has told me that it will likely be a while, if ever, for them to actually fix this. Right now, Aspen is saying its TruTrak, and TruTrak is saying its Aspen.

At least with the G5's you'll get tiny toy sized displays, but actually get usable integration with other stuff.. Especially the GFC500.
Thom did my Aspen install as well and joined me on the post install flight to calibrate my AP! Excellent service. See my review here-

Thom did my Aspen install as well and joined me on the post install flight to calibrate my AP! Excellent service. See my review here-
That’s a nice video! Glad to see it works well with that old autopilot, same one that I have.

We've got a brand new Aspen Pro and an S-Tec 30. They do seem to get along nicely but for whatever reason, none of the V-Speeds were programmed...?

We've got a brand new Aspen Pro and an S-Tec 30. They do seem to get along nicely but for whatever reason, none of the V-Speeds were programmed...?
V speeds easy to program in the menu. See the EFD install manual. Can be downloaded from their site.

I've got an Aspen E5 that chronically shows a slight left turn. Is there any adjustment that can be made without taking it back to a shop?

V speeds easy to program in the menu. See the EFD install manual. Can be downloaded from their site.

Not my yob, man. :D We paid for an install, we are going to get a complete install. :mad:

FWIW, this was but one of several squawks that brought the airplane back to complete the job. Not being able to drive the HSI with the NAV radio was a bit of a problem.

Not my yob, man. :D We paid for an install, we are going to get a complete install. :mad:

FWIW, this was but one of several squawks that brought the airplane back to complete the job. Not being able to drive the HSI with the NAV radio was a bit of a problem.
Fair enough. FWIW my installer not only did everything right, but also went on a test flight with me to fine tune everything and make sure all checked out.

I've got an Aspen E5 that chronically shows a slight left turn. Is there any adjustment that can be made without taking it back to a shop?
Any updated regarding this? Curious to see what is causing that and the resolution

Any updated regarding this? Curious to see what is causing that and the resolution

I've been hesitant to address this with Aspen as I know it will be a "go back to avionics shop" answer and I'm not really wanting to go back as it's been there a few times already for other issues. In going through the E5 install manual, there are pitch and roll adjustments but they caution to only use these for panel mounting variations. There is no mention of how to adjust for in flight variations. It's possible an RSM reconfiguration might help. When it bothers me enough I guess I'll eventually bite the bullet and go back to shop.

I've been hesitant to address this with Aspen as I know it will be a "go back to avionics shop" answer and I'm not really wanting to go back as it's been there a few times already for other issues. In going through the E5 install manual, there are pitch and roll adjustments but they caution to only use these for panel mounting variations. There is no mention of how to adjust for in flight variations. It's possible an RSM reconfiguration might help. When it bothers me enough I guess I'll eventually bite the bullet and go back to shop.

I'd at least contact the shop in writing so they know the issue exists now. If you go back in 6 months, they may try to sidestep the problem.

Back