Aspen E5 availability?

Lynn Dixon

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CubedRoot
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has heard when the Aspen E5 is supposed to be shipping / available? I am slated to have one installed in my Cardinal RG, but last I talked to Aspen, they were shooting for the end of October before they started shipping.

Any one heard any juicy rumors? Or can confirm when they will be available?

a6664115a6fb1b7347caaba549909877.jpg

I hear they should be shipping by Oshkosh. The last I asked, though, was at Sun N Fun. More vaporware?

I consider announcing a new product that is so far from release very bad form, especially when it is named specifically to compete with another product. Anybody who knows me knows I’m not Garmin’s biggest fan, but the G5 is a home run in that regard. It doesn’t do a whole lot, but it does what it does very well, and overall at a very reasonable price point.

I know Avidyne did a similar thing with the 440 and 540. Years from seeing posters in avionics shops to getting units shipped.

I hope Aspen eventually gets it out the door, but until it’s shipping, I consider it not an option. Even the discount on the Pro with the promise of a cheap screen upgrade is bad business, IMHO.

I spoke with an Aspen sales rep this Monday. He was saying they are doing the last bit of finalizing for the FAA "paperwork" (pardon, he gave all the details of what it was, but my mind grouped it as "paperwork") and will hopefully be shipping the units around the 15th to 20th of December. They have the first run of units produced and ready to be boxed, they are just waiting on the approval from the FAA for some sticker on the unit and they'll begin the shipping process. Supposedly, mine is in the first batch that ships.....hopefully :)

I asked him a BUNCH of questions, and here are some of the details for what its worth:

1. The E5 is the same exact hardware as the new Apsen Pro Max units. They are identical as far as hardware/screen/processors/inputs, etc. The ONLY difference is the software. The E5 is FULLY ugpradeable to the Pro Max via swapping out an SDCard and a log book signoff and paperwork. This upgrade should be available within a few months of the unit shipping.

2. There are a LOT of differences between the older Aspen units (ones being sold now) and the newer ones. New screen, faster processors, fixed the red "X" issue everyone trashes them for (GPS assisted AHRS in the event of pitot and/or static failure), and a bunch of other fixes.

3. The E5 does allow for the removal of the Vacuum system if you want.

4. E5 can inteface will digital sources out of the box, nothing extra needed. IF you need to interface with any analog sources you'll need to buy the ACU. However, the Pro Max comes with the ACU.

5. Supposedly the CDI on the E5 is engineered in such a way that it gives you all the information you'd get from an HSI. I still need to see this to believe it.

6. Upgrading to the mid-tier software upgrade, gives you a full HSI and full Air data on the display in addition to weather/traffic from Garmin, Lynx, and one other ADS-B source (sorry forgot the third one....). Those are the only three ADS-B sources supported as of right now.

7. TruTrak intergration will be ready via Aspen on launch, BUT, TruTrak control heads will need to be sent to have their software updated once TruTrak has released the software. He had no insight on when that might be (since its TruTrak), but said he heard talk that TruTrak was shooting for 1st quarter of 2019.

Hope that helps! I am honestly looking forward to the Aspen E5. For someone like me, it kinda fits my budget and gives me an easy upgrade path later down the road when I have budget for it. while minimizing downtime on the airplane.

Thank you for this~!

Concurs with info I have from TruTrak..

TT have the software update ready, and the update is free. I am assuming we have to pay shipping both ways though, I did not ask that..

Cap

Yeah, cappy48, looks like we'll need to have an A&P pull the TruTrak from the panel, send it off to TruTrak (or one of their installers that has the eqiupment) and have them do the firmware update on it, and send it back to our A&P.

I am just hoping that its not going to be a big deal for my A&P to remove the TruTrak head for shipping.

Yeah, cappy48, looks like we'll need to have an A&P pull the TruTrak from the panel, send it off to TruTrak (or one of their installers that has the eqiupment) and have them do the firmware update on it, and send it back to our A&P.

I am just hoping that its not going to be a big deal for my A&P to remove the TruTrak head for shipping.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It shouldn't be Lynn...

Most time consuming part is taking off the panel overlay.

After that, 3 screws, one electrical plug and two small hoses and you have it in your hand.. I can do it in about 30 minutes. Mine is in the 3" hole to the left of the TC, a stack mount may be more difficult

You need a couple of plugs for the pitot and static lines..

I will do the shipping myself, that way it is under my control.. :)

Easy...

Cappy

I’m hoping to have a stock of programmers with the new software so a plane can fly in and get a live swap, flying out with the new software and no downtime. The main issue will be whether new wiring is needed at the same time.

We got a quote for 13 hours, as the install is basically the same as the other Aspen units, the variable being how many interconnections you are having done, and if you are installing a magnetometer (HSI) option.

The big news MAY be this...

>>The Evolution E5 can be sold directly to consumers by Aspen Avionics authorized dealers and aviation retailers.

If I read this right, it may NOT have to be installed by "authorised dealers".. ?

If your local AP or AME (Canada) can install it, this could lessen the cost significantly.

We have an estimate of 4-6 hrs. if we can get it done locally, and then fly the aircraft to them for final checkout and configuration as required in Canada (in Canada) avionics NEW INSTALLATIONS must be signed off by an AMO / Avionics shop.

The shop is OK with us getting anything done here as long as it is up to their standards, and they will do the final inspection, make any needed corrections and submit the paperwork.

Step first, probably more news to follow soon… :)

Cap

We got a quote for 13 hours, as the install is basically the same as the other Aspen units, the variable being how many interconnections you are having done, and if you are installing a magnetometer (HSI) option.

The big news MAY be this...

>>The Evolution E5 can be sold directly to consumers by Aspen Avionics authorized dealers and aviation retailers.

If I read this right, it may NOT have to be installed by "authorised dealers".. ?

If your local AP or AME (Canada) can install it, this could lessen the cost significantly.

We have an estimate of 4-6 hrs. if we can get it done locally, and then fly the aircraft to them for final checkout and configuration as required in Canada (in Canada) avionics NEW INSTALLATIONS must be signed off by an AMO / Avionics shop.

The shop is OK with us getting anything done here as long as it is up to their standards, and they will do the final inspection, make any needed corrections and submit the paperwork.

Step first, probably more news to follow soon… :)

Cap
Yep I saw the sell to consumer part and got excited. But 13 hours might be a tipping point where I just pay and not have the headache. haha We shall see if I ever decide to upgrade. I figure I'll upgrade if my vacuum system totally fails at once. what are the odds. haha

>>I figure I'll upgrade if my vacuum system totally fails at once. what are the odds. haha

I have a DG that getting progressively noisier... Sometimes I imagine it to be "noisier" at times....

:)

Cap

Just got a text from my avionics shop... He received shipping notifications that my E5 should be delivered before Christmas! Now, its a matter of finding schedule to get the airplane there, and for his schedule to get cleared enough to get it installed :)

Im surprised that Apsen hasn't released the documentation for it yet. I would like to go ahead and get the pilot guide to read it over the holidays, and I am sure my installer would like to get a copy to see whats involved (or different from the older Aspens) on the installation before it gets here.

I had a nice chat with a fellow from Aspen. The E5 needs an external, IFR gps source, which ruled it out for my VFR application since I don't have a panel mounted gps. I didn't get further into the installation requirement.

I had a nice chat with a fellow from Aspen. The E5 needs an external, IFR gps source, which ruled it out for my VFR application since I don't have a panel mounted gps. I didn't get further into the installation requirement.

Did he tell you why it needed an IFR GPS source? I have an IFD540, so I guess I'll have that, but I thought that was only if you wanted to have the CDI/DG display information from the GPS. Also, I figured the external GPS was so the Aspen could do GPSS to an autopilot.

Back