Aspen discount

I'd get a Garmin G500TXi for the same price, better reliability. These guys have a lot of work to do catch-up unfortunately.

Well FWIW my avionics tech tells me the G500 is a lot more work (read time & $) to install, and he has Aspens installed in 15 Twin Otters on floats in the Maldives (e.g. salt water) and zero failures after 5 years. YMMV

I've not heard many good things about Aspen support (but I have no direct experience with them). Also, there's a popular youtuber out there with a video of what appears to be a full Aspen failure due to pitot icing. Everything including attitude reference went Tango Uniform. Pitot heat and a reboot of the Aspen cleared the failure. Hopefully I'm not slandering Aspen here, but it seems like a very bad failure mode for what should have just been a loss of airspeed indication. Take a look for yourself and see what you think.

I have the aspen pro nice to see their giving away synthetic vision,and ADSB unlock. To bad they won’t do that for previous owners. Was looking to update,but they’re not very competitive.

I've not heard many good things about Aspen support (but I have no direct experience with them). Also, there's a popular youtuber out there with a video of what appears to be a full Aspen failure due to pitot icing. Everything including attitude reference went Tango Uniform. Pitot heat and a reboot of the Aspen cleared the failure. Hopefully I'm not slandering Aspen here, but it seems like a very bad failure mode for what should have just been a loss of airspeed indication. Take a look for yourself and see what you think.

That.

This is why I consider a aspen a downgrade from a traditional old school sixpack, only thing it's really good for is looking fancy on the ramp so you can impress your friends who don't know what there looking at.

Still amazes me that the FAA certified that thing with that deadly failure mode.

image.jpg

I really thought with the Garmin G5 and Dynon glass offerings that the Aspen prices would come down a significant amount to stay competative, especially when you consider how old the hardware technology and lower screen resolution is of the Aspen Evolution. Surely by now they are well beyond recouping their R&D where they could get more competative. They have their little promotions from time to time but I would think they should consider an across the board price reduction for all of their Evolution glass panels and combos.

here we go again..........

Didn’t mean to start this, we have already established G5 is superior . Saw someone offering a discount in avionics world, posted it for benefit of humanity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t mean to start this, we have already established G5 is superior . Saw someone offering a discount in avionics world, posted it for benefit of humanity....

not you, Juan........

I question the overall reliability of the Aspens. My friend went through 5 of them, and there are many reports of failures on multiple aviation forums. They were revolutionary when they came out, but now are outdated. They need to come out with an updated competitive product. I probably wouldn't consider one.

Well FWIW my avionics tech tells me the G500 is a lot more work (read time & $) to install, and he has Aspens installed in 15 Twin Otters on floats in the Maldives (e.g. salt water) and zero failures after 5 years. YMMV

Hmmm. I know a pilot who flew all those Twin Otters. I’ll ask him what he thought of them. He left and went halfway around the planet to fly Twin Otters again, and then went to dropping smokejumpers, and for all I know he’s on to something else by now again, so he’ll be able to say things he might not say if he worked there still. Pretty red paint jobs on them, though.

I’ve heard Aspen stories all over the place. Some people have great luck with them, others have total lemons and repairs don’t seem to clear it up.

here we go again..........

LOL.

I question the overall reliability of the Aspens. My friend went through 5 of them, and there are many reports of failures on multiple aviation forums. They were revolutionary when they came out, but now are outdated. They need to come out with an updated competitive product. I probably wouldn't consider one.

Agreed. IMO, if they don't come out with something new by Oshkosh 2018, they're likely to go out of business. They're just not keeping up any more, unfortunately.

@GRG55 so confirmed. Same Twin Otters. He said they had three that had continuous minor problems but there was a point in time where 15 were installed and then later more, so the story is legit.

He said they beat the hell out of all fifteen plus and the bad ones were always wrong and the good ones were seemingly indestructible.

Sounds to me like the story of Aspen is, if you get a bad one, DEMAND they replace, not repair it, otherwise it’ll last a long time.

Back