Aspen - Cleared for Takeoff

I watched the video on the link. Pretty cool. It says it works with your existing avionics. How would you set it up in your cockpit?

Indeed. Excellent news. We should have all that installed in a month. Yay!

-Felix

I'll let you know. That's the unit that I haved scheduled to replace my DG and AH when the autopilot is replaced. Sure hope it is reliable.

I heard that the Aspen unit is only certified as a supplemental, i.e., you must keep the original flight instruments somewhere in the panel. Anybody know for sure on that?

Big, Big news for Albuquerque businesses, IMHO. I hope that Aspen succeeds!

I heard that the Aspen unit is only certified as a supplemental, i.e., you must keep the original flight instruments somewhere in the panel. Anybody know for sure on that?

Unless I am mis-reading and have been grievously misinformed, I believe that the Aspen will be legal as primary.

• TSO-C2d Airspeed Instruments
  • TSO-C3d Turn and Slip Instrument
  • TSO-C4c Bank and Pitch Instruments
  • TSO-C6d Direction Instrument Magnetic (Gyroscopically Stabilized)
  • TSO-C8d Vertical Velocity Instrument (Rate-of-Climb)
  • TSO-C10b Altitude Pressure Activated Sensitive Type
  • TSO-C106 Air Data Computer
  • TSO-C113 Airborne Multipurpose Electronic Displays

Futher info...

The issue is with autopilots that rely on feeds from the AI, HI, and/or TC -- you may have to leave the original instrument in the panel to feed the autopilot. Check with your avionics guru for details based on what's in your airplane.

Futher info...

The issue is with autopilots that rely on feeds from the AI, HI, and/or TC -- you may have to leave the original instrument in the panel to feed the autopilot. Check with your avionics guru for details based on what's in your airplane.
We have a Bendix FCS810, which isn't exactly a very modern autopilot, and it can take inputs directly from the Aspen (or so the avionics shop says), including GPSS and altitude pre-select.

-Felix

Futher info...

Y'know, Ron, sometimes I don't read so gud.

In my plane, for example, I would have to maintain the TC, because that is also the computer for the S-Tec 30.

I am unlikely to be making any big changes real soon, as I have a 430 (OK, it's getting WAASed in May), a King HSI, and electric AI, and air-powered backup DG and AI. So, if I were to get an Aspen install would I want to keep the (more reliable) electric instruments, or keep the air instruments for "diversity of power" backup?

My inclination would be to keep the electric stuff, because the Aspen has its own backup battery, and back it all up with a standby alternator.

I am seriously thinking about getting the standby alternator anyway...

I believe that King and Century require their own AI as part of their autopilot certification, so unless they do the work, the Aspen system won't be able to feed them attitude info. STec and Chelton, however, being rate-based and digital or near-digital, are more likely to interface cleanly.

Yep, Flight Electronics here on the field at Addison told me I would need to keep my AI to interface with the KFC-200. We're not on the verge of upgrading, but may look into it later.

Best,

Dave

I expect that if the Aspen is popular, that autopilot manufacturers will THEN start working on their part of the STC process, because there are likely to be many "plain" airplanes that will get the glass, then decide they want an autopilot.

Yep, Flight Electronics here on the field at Addison told me I would need to keep my AI to interface with the KFC-200.

Interesting... Their FAQ says:

Q: Will the Evolution Flight Display work with my current autopilot/flight director?
A: The Evolution Flight Display Pro and ATP PFDs are designed to work with at least the following autopilots and flight directors:
Bendix/King: KAP 140/150; KFC 150/200/225/250/300/325; KCP 320
Century: II/III/IV/41/2000
Cessna ARC 400/800/1000 series
S-TEC: 20/30/40/50/55/55X/60/60-2/65

I wonder what their definition of "work" is... :dunno:

Interesting... Their FAQ says:

I wonder what their definition of "work" is... :dunno:
There's a big difference between them designing it to work with other systems and getting FAA approval for the interface. The question is who ponies up the bucks to do the interface testing -- the AP mfrs with no particular motivation since there are virtually no Aspens out there in the fleet, or Aspen, which has a vested interest but probably not the resources to do all the necessary certification testing.

Indeed. Excellent news. We should have all that installed in a month. Yay!

-Felix

Serious?? I'm driving up to check it out once you get it installed.

I've got my Auracle II shipping to me soon here. If they're ALREADY doing the panel...

The avionics guy told me I would have to keep my AI along with the Aspen. I think I would want to keep it as a backup anyway, but I don't know if it is mandatory. I am just concerned about the reliability of the unit. Also, the longevity of support for the unit. I hate the though of plunking down 10G's and then having it die within two years and not having a company to get it repaired. It has a lot of nice features, and since I am getting a new AP and DG now, I thought a redesign of the panel and a nice HSI unit would be nice. Anyone have any inside news on the testing and reliability issues with it?

The avionics guy told me I would have to keep my AI along with the Aspen. I think I would want to keep it as a backup anyway, but I don't know if it is mandatory. I am just concerned about the reliability of the unit. Also, the longevity of support for the unit. I hate the though of plunking down 10G's and then having it die within two years and not having a company to get it repaired. It has a lot of nice features, and since I am getting a new AP and DG now, I thought a redesign of the panel and a nice HSI unit would be nice. Anyone have any inside news on the testing and reliability issues with it?

Ask him why you have to keep your AI? Is it strictly to drive your existing or new autopilot? Or does he have another reason?

I've got my Auracle II shipping to me soon here. If they're ALREADY doing the panel...

Now that's a cool unit too. :yes:

http://xerionavionix.com/auracle2.html

I like the fact that they've designed the system to minimize installation costs - If you have a JPI you can use all of the existing sensors and wiring; If you don't have anything, the sensors only need to be wired into the box in the engine compartment. Very smart. :yes:

Serious?? I'm driving up to check it out once you get it installed.

You're more than welcome to check it out once it's all installed! I'll keep you updated.

The Auracle is a nice unit....if there wasn't already the JPI....

As for the reliability question - I don't have any insider information, but I suspect that it'll be more reliable than the 1st gen products (hello, Avidyne). Given that it's all solid-state, it should last for quite a while, too.

-Felix

Last edited:
Felix,
I'm taking you up on that offer when its done.

Kent,
The Auracle I is plug n play (or close) with the JPI harnesses. I won the Auracle II which has the data unit reside on the engine side of the firewall. Then just the one data cable comes through to the display. Just a minor point. ;)

The Auracle I is plug n play (or close) with the JPI harnesses. I won the Auracle II which has the data unit reside on the engine side of the firewall. Then just the one data cable comes through to the display. Just a minor point. ;)

Yeah, I caught that but I didn't feel like typing that much. :rofl:

I think BOTH designs are smart. :yes:

That is an extensive list, though it does not include the Swift... Yet. Oh well.

There's certainly a lot of unusual stuff on there - Grob 115, Piper Arapaho, Beech Twin Bonanza, Meyers 200, "King's Engineering Fellowship Model 44" (What the hell is that???) and a bunch of other stuff that I have no clue what it is. Quite the list.

But no Swift. :dunno:

Thats a twin engine pusher STOL airplane built in Orange City, IA ( I think ) that is purpose built for christian missionary work.

http://www.angelaircraft.com/

Oh, that thing? The one that looks just like a 414 only with pushers? There was one parked a few spots down from me at OSH last year, though I think it might have been gone by the time you got there.

I wonder how many have been built?

Back