Aspen 1000 Evolution + 430W + Century 2000 A/P ... ???

mswmsw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mswmsw
I’d like to get folks thoughts on this combination. I’m contemplating buying a Piper Turbo Arrow with this set-up. I’m familiar with the Garmin 430 but not the Aspen PFD/MFD or the Century A/P. (Is the Century 2000 a later derivative of the older Piper Altimatic series autopilots?) Does anyone else have this - or close to this - combination of avionics? Appreciate any info, input, opinions, etc.

I had the EXACT same set up in my old Turbo Saratoga (Which I sold about a year ago), it had exactly what you describe. I really liked the combination, it was a rock-solid IFR platform, and never once in my 10 plus year ownership did I have any issues whatsoever. My install was done by Satnan Avionics in Sioux Falls, SD (KFSD), and he did a fabulous job. I didn't do much hard IFR but all my IPC and practice approaches were perfectly fine.

Attachments

• Entire-Panel-After-comp.jpg
    Entire-Panel-After-comp.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 40
I had century 2000, it was alright and as good as they get for a analog AP. Doesn’t even come close to the newer digital ones but gets the job done. Be ready for some S turns on approach at times. Customer service sucks and they still charge a arm and a leg to get something overhauled / fixed.

I had the same components except for my legacy Piper Autocontrol 3b( Century 2). So I can’t talk about vertical hold or glideslope capture, probably a big absence of info for you. However, with respect to its function, the GPSS abilities with the Aspen and Garmin would be hard to fault. After replacing connectors, and the use of the Aspen as a source of heading bug data, the reliability has been excellent in the 10 years with the combo. But, the STC requirement of the Aspen to have a backup AI, and the need for that AI to supply data to the legacy Century autopilot has forced me to retain my vacuum system and AI. And that is because it is the least expensive way to continue forward until less expensive electric/electronic STC compatible alternatives exist( like the hoped for Uavionics AV-30 autopilot compatibility, for example) when replacement of vacuum components are needed in the future.

Last edited:
... Garmin 430 but not the Aspen PFD/MFD...

We have an Aspen 2000 Pro, GNC 430W and JPI 930 in our plane. You'll enjoy the bigger map in the MFD and extra info in the PFD. Going from a G1000 to this wasn't bad at all. Add a G5 and you can remove the vacuum system. Do get the MAX upgrade to overcome the issues with the static port dependence.

I've always wondered this about later Century autopilots. Are you able to upgrade the IIIc to a 2000 easily? There are features on newer Century devices that I wish I had.

Back