Aspen 1000 bracket height

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Can someone tell me the distance form the top of the AI 3.125" instrument hole to the top of the Aspen 1000 mounting bracket?

I am designing a new panel and eventually I will put in an Aspen. I need to place the N-Number high enough above the AI hole so as not to be covered up by the eventual installation of an Aspen.

Page 46 of their install instructions does not show that dimension.

Why not put the N number placard someplace else? Is there an FAA requirement to have the placard anywhere in the airplane?

I've never seen one without an N-number placard. It just makes sense on my panel to put it above the AI... just need to be sure it is far enough above to not be blocked by a G5 or Aspen in the future.

Feel free to place it anywhere you'd like.

This is what I am trying to achieve. I think the pink area is what an Aspen would cover but their instal manual does not give enough dimensions to be really sure.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-06_at_10.16.26_PM.png

Aspen is 7", each hole is 3.05 which leaves ~1", divide by 4 to get 1/4" <--- close enough considering it is slightly less

My Aspen is wired on the primary bus instead of the avionics bus, so I have both an avionics master and EFD 1000 switch. Is that what your "master" and "standby" switches represent? You may also want a traffic mute button unless you are putting that on your yoke.

Another thing to consider is flush-mounting the Aspen. I don't think the G5 can be flush-mounted yet? I also believe the Aspen STC still requires a backup AI (I assume that will go in the VSI spot?)

My number is less than an inch above the top hole and is visible above the Aspen.

The flush mounting requires an extra install kit if you want to do that. I actually found the buttons easier to push with the bevel rather than flush mounting.

Check out the installation requirements for backup instruments though. You don't need a VSI, but you'll need to keep a backup AI unless you're installing two units.

Back