Asking for a friend, No really. Hernia surgery scheduled.

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
I had a hernia when I was a little kid so been there done that. I read the other hernia threads here but didn't see the answers to my questions.

My friend is wanting to get serious with his training and was soon to go get his medical and found out he has a hernia. So he is scheduled for surgery in the next few weeks.

What documents does he need for the AME if any and what is a reasonable post surgery time frame to schedule with the AME for class 3?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had a hernia when I was a little kid so been there done that. I read the other hernia threads here but didn't see the answers to my questions.

My friend is wanting to get serious with his training and was soon to go get his medical and found out he has a hernia. So he is scheduled for surgery in the next few weeks.

What documents does he need for the AME if any and what is a reasonable post surgery time frame to schedule with the AME for class 3?

Thanks in advance.
What kind of hernia? I have a hiatal hernia, as do tens of millions of folks (most need no surgery).

I had mine repaired and the AME never asked for any documents at my next CLIII medical or any since then (surgery was in 2002). They do check to make sure the patch is still holding, but nothing else other than that. That was my experience for what it's worth.

Can't help with the timing, but I was up and about after a few days. My first medical post surgery was 8 months later.

Cheers,
Brian

Same for me. AME never asked for any documents at my next medical. It was a non-event as AME issues go. It was probably 6 mos. after surgery or so for my next AME medical appointment. I was moving around within days, some lingering soreness for a little while, and back in the gym doing normal stuff soon thereafter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back