ASA IFR Test Pret App

mcoflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mcoflyer
I downloaded the ASA App for my iPhone and iPad and have been doing the test on there over and over and have been getting high 80s to low 90s on all the tests.

How up to date is the ASA question database? I have my written scheduled for the 26th and I feel pretty confident but I don't want any surprises. The ASA database actually has 600 questions so...

Anyone take the IFR written lately?

I downloaded the ASA App for my iPhone and iPad and have been doing the test on there over and over and have been getting high 80s to low 90s on all the tests.

How up to date is the ASA question database? I have my written scheduled for the 26th and I feel pretty confident but I don't want any surprises. The ASA database actually has 600 questions so...

Anyone take the IFR written lately?

Jackie Spanitz, ASA's curriculum director, meets with the FAA (and Gleim, and the Kings, etc) twice a year to go over new questions and argue about deleting old questions. She then publishes product updates on their web site www.asa2fly.com. There are product update pages for just about all ASA publications.

Bob Gardner

I passed with an 82%...1st try. Took about 90 minutes and this test had me sweating. The first 5 questions were about boots and other de-icing equipment. After those 5 all I could think was "oh ****". Glad I passed...

I passed with an 82%...1st try. Took about 90 minutes and this test had me sweating. The first 5 questions were about boots and other de-icing equipment. After those 5 all I could think was "oh ****". Glad I passed...

Congrats!

I vote for the Dauntless app, its a little bit more but it tracks history so that you can focus on the historically weak areas. The flashcards are broken up into 5 stacks where they all start in stack 3. As you get one right it moves up a stack and wrong it moves down a stack. This allows you to make tests that hit the weak areas. I'm using it for my CFI/AGI/CPL written now

How did you do? How did you go about studying?

I made an 89. I took two weeks to study and they break down exactly how to study. Very structured if you follow there plan. They will even give you an instructor sign off if you need one.

Re: IFR Test Prep

I'm taking the IR written tomorrow. Very comfortable / scoring mid-90's in the question bank from the old published sources, but wondering a bit about the more recently added questions.

Activate de-icing equipment as soon as icing is encountered (as far as the written test goes), right?

Switch to alternative means of navigation for a RAIM warning, but continue an approach (if past FAF) for up to 5 minutes until the actual RAIM failure flag appears?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

I remember a couple of questions about vibrations in icing conditions when you lower the flaps, and a question about icing on the trailing edges of the wings.

I was getting 90s on my ASA test prep app and ended up with an 82.

I'm taking the IR written tomorrow. Very comfortable / scoring mid-90's in the question bank from the old published sources, but wondering a bit about the more recently added questions.

Activate de-icing equipment as soon as icing is encountered (as far as the written test goes), right?

Switch to alternative means of navigation for a RAIM warning, but continue an approach (if past FAF) for up to 5 minutes until the actual RAIM failure flag appears?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

Do you mean that you would not activate your de-ice?

That procedure is written in the blood of the folks who died in the Roselawn crash back in 1996. The same is true of "turn off the autopilot when flying in ice."

Bob Gardner

Do you mean that you would not activate your de-ice?

No; I mean that I have absolutely no experience in de-ice aircraft, and so my "oh look, icing" checklist is:
1. Check autopilot off, you nimwit
2. Check pitot heat on, you nimwit
3. Talk to ATC and get out of there, you nimwit
4. Pay more attention to the weather brief next time, you nimwit

I've heard people in the past say that for boots it makes more sense to allow a thin layer to build up and then knock it off, as opposed to heated or weeping systems, but have also heard that "bridging" of ice and whatnot doesn't really happen.

So in answer to your question, the reason for "(as far as the written test goes)" wasn't that I believe something different in real life, but that I have no experience in deiced planes and wouldn't go flying one without more specific training.

Anyway, I read the little blurb on icing in the Instrument Flying Handbook last night, which I (rightly) figured would cover anything on the IR written. Passed with a 90%; should have payed a little more attention to the types of spatial disorientation (when the answer is always "ignore the vestibular input," I've never felt the need to memorize which illusion is which) and the speed limits (my thought has always been "I'll learn those when I'm flying something that can get close to them").

Back