As we say in NASCAR...

https://www.amazon.com/Unfair-Advantage-Mark-Donohue/dp/0837600693/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PUWOWZP4S4GZ&keywords=the+unfair+advantage+mark+donohue&qid=1673905033&sprefix=donohue+unfair+a,aps,825&sr=8-1

It's a "must read" for anyone who races. Most of the content comes from his time in Trans Am and Can Am. Donohue was a mechanical engineer and came up with some clever ways to interpret the rules "creatively" and gain an advantage.
Donohue invented the original downforce generating device....I was a FAN of the Can Am cars ;).

If you rob a bank and don't get caught, you are still a thief.

Racing is a game of limits. The person who is able to get closest to the limits of the car, the tires, the track, and the rules, without breaking any of them will go fastest and win. Racing has a long tradition of competitors learning to stay just inside the rules, getting as close as possible to the limit, interpreting the literal words and barely complying.

I'm guessing Ross Chastain's running around wall on the final turn at Martinsville would be a good example. The rules didn't say you couldn't do that. Something tells me the rules will change.

How do you escape 1,000 screaming NASCAR fans who want to kick your... uh... donkey?

Make one right turn.

"Cheating is tolerated, it's accepted...it's like a big part of the game...but if you get caught cheating..."

I'm guessing Ross Chastain's running around wall on the final turn at Martinsville would be a good example. The rules didn't say you couldn't do that. Something tells me the rules will change.
He even said he probably wouldn't do that again, almost blacked out as g forces were calculated as being over 5g's.

Last edited:
Back