As promised: CheckRide write-up

Owad1971

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Owad1971
Thank you all for sharing your stories and advice on the forum. I am sure I passed because I had the benefit of the experiences of other pilot's posts. I am happy to offer my humble musings to the body of knowledg found in these threads. As I promised , Here is a re-cap of my checkride.

Overall the experience was almost an informal conversation followed by some relaxed flying. I am sure I left out some stuff but what follows are the points that I remember most. Probabably because they gave me the most trouble during my training. I in no way had a perfect checkride, nor was the interview absolutely perfect. For example, I forgot the second part of some acronyms, mis-spoke on one or two points and when prompted “was I sure..” I came up with an acceptable response and demonstrating working knowledge of even the botched nemnonic devices. I made some mistakes, but worked through them without shouting “...Awww S**T!!” on comms.

My examiner arrived at my school and after exchanging pleasantries with almost everyone in sight (the school knows him well ). We began the process of getting the paperwork all sorted out. IACRA done, we head upstairs for our chat.

My DPE began with describing his process, He was careful to advise me that throughout the exam, he may take notes, make highlights on his outline, check circle underline etc. These should not be misconstrued as good or bad…it was his way of keeping track of what he tested/ what he wanted to discuss further, or what didn’t need to be rehashed.

So we begin with certificates an documents for the pilot and aircraft…I advised him I was looking forward to the day when I would not have to have my logbook with me when flying alone- I got the impression that he was satisfied that I had read at least that section of the FAR carefully. Next we covered some things about aircraft systems, and performance. He provided a scenario based question about density altitude and its effects on performance, how could we determine the effects- which is better high density altitude or low density altitude. Again here it was if I was explaining to a friend who indicated an interest in my flying practice some key aspects to consider when contemplating a flight.
Next we talked about aircraft systems “Tell me about the engine..” “Tell me about the electrical system?” “What powers this instrument?” “How do you know it is working” “If it fails what will be left?” “If the engine quits will I have electrical power?” “How does the engine get fuel?” and so on….
The scenario based conversation, in my view, tested whether I understood the interrelationships between the aircraft components, as well as if I could recognize an emergency condition as it developed.
We also spent some time talking about runway incursions, and what procedures were available to ensure safety. Next were aero-medical factors (hypoxia what, how, risks) with another scenario based upon the fact that I informed him that I was a scuba diver and was familiar with the safety considerations when deciding to fly after diving.

Next we went to the sectional, and some questions on airspace- trick question here: Is a mode C transponder required in ALL class D airspace airports?” I thought they were, but this was because my class D airport is within the NYC mode C veil…. Learned something here-COOL!

Do I need permission to enter Class Bravo? Charley? What kind of permission….what counts? I added what I thought would be a best practice when it is clear that ATC was busy. He pointed to a random airport.”What is this?”- basically be able to ID whether a field is private, uncontrolled, elevation, CTAF, whether left or right pattern..Know your sectional-

Next Aeronautical decision making and a discussion on how you must always “Fly the plane” no matter what emergency, or situation. Then some random questions “What’s a TFR?” By this time it really does not feel like an exam..just a free flowing conversation. I must credit both this forum, as well as the dpe seminars on YouTube for taking much of the mystery out of what the examiner is looking for during the oral interview.
The rest was a blurr…until he said..ok, lets take a break- you can preflight the plane, come back in, warm up some, and then we can go fly: NICE!!!!!!!!! I call the wx briefer to get latest info on my xcountry ( make sure the examiner can hear me file (but not open) a flight plan for our trip

The Flight Portion:
I preflight the aircraft, go inside get my examiner and get back into the aircraft. I brief him on he aircraft safety systems: seatbelts, what to do if we need to rapidly exit the aircraft…bla bla bla. He asks if I have foggles..UM..Crap…They’re back inside…..

OK Take Two:
Re-Review passenger safety briefing…I make the point that since this aircraft is equipped with one, as a passenger, he will be required to use the seatbelt AND shoulder harness durin the taxi, takeoff, climb descent and landing phases of our flight…He seems to enjoy this level of attention.. he plugs his in, and asks.”Hey, you have a headset right?” CRAP- inside- right next to the spot where I found the FOGGLES…

OK Take Three:
Engine start…taxi out (looking conspicuously for aircraft on approach etc..)..run-up uneventful….Number 1 at hold short line..I brief the takeoff- He asks for a short field- cleared to go and off we went!
On the climb-out Tower asks us to recycle our transponder- CRAP!!!!
Recycle and the unit takes it’s sweet time to start working- after identing and recycling 2x she decides to work..

On course and at altitude I check the time off and note it on my log. At checkpoint 1 I ask him if he can see my waypoint out of his window..when he says yes, I note the time (1 minute early)- Turning on course to checkpoint 2-

½ way there he says ok… show me steep turns
I confirm 360 left then a 360 right: Bang; Left done (wake bump) Right done (slightly less pronounced wake bump) within PTS-GAME ON!

Next show me slow flight- I LOVE slow flight…and we are flying..SLOOOOOOOOWWWW. I ask “ You want I should turn or something?” (sic)

He says- oh yeah, yeah to the right…

Next power off stall, then power on stall- Meh…not perfect but…

Ok he says…Lets go to Bridgeport for some landings. I get the ATIS, then promptly forget the letter code. Bridgeport tower is kind and clears us in for some T&Gs.

Now Short Field Landing followed by Soft Field Takeoff….( yoke full back simulating max braking is the perfect set-up for the soft field weight-less nosewheel- who kenw?!?!?)..now up stay in ground effect…Vx---->Vy OK, let’s climb!

I square the pattern….Next one Soft field landing…Normal takeoff….Ok, there’s the fence, over numbers, keep some power in to soften the touch…faint chirp, power out, slight bounce, but soft second touch…and off again,
This time another short field..the last two I came in a little low..OK two white over two red all the way down… Hit my mark. Next one he asks for another soft field..set up was sweeeeet…70kts on final 66 over the fence..3…2…1..”GO Around” (what?!?!?!?!?!? This was the best approach in the history of approaches!) Power IN, horizon..and we are gone..

During the climb he asks if I have my foggles handy…that’s right it’s instrument time…We exchange control of the aircraft positively. I place my groovy red foggles on, take back aircraft control and he says:”Turn and climb to 210 degrees and 2500ft..”

I respond; “set course to 210, make my altitude 2500, Aye…”
DPR: “were you in the navy?”

Me:” Um no….but I figure I would never have the chance to use that so why not now? (we both laugh heartedly )

DPE: “ok now turn to 260…wait Belay that order continue on 210 and make your altitude 3000…now take me to the JFK VOR..”

I tune in JFK on NAV 1, Identify it from under the crappy static..and confirm I got the right VOR. I next center the needle with the OBS to give a TO indication. For some reason…this thing worked better than I could possibly imagine…That needle did not move one iota for the entire time (I know I am not THAT good, X-Plane doesn’t even work This smoothly!!!)

I state:” The needle is centered with a to indication for the JFK Vor…we are on the 070 radial (pointing to the bottom of the instrument at the reciprocal numbers)… heading directly to the station, placing us to the north east, our course heading is now 250 (pointing to the course index).”

I flew this course for another 3-5 minutes, still amazed that the course deviation needle did not budge once, and he told me to knock it off and prepare for unusual attitudes. After a few nose down, nose up, nose down,..he said OK…You owe me a forward slip to a landing..Head back home and give me one.

Just as I was dialing in the ATIS for FRG…My engine quit….FUN..Northport stacks to my left with about 3 miles of unoccupied beach..PERFECT. I configure for Vg, simulate checking my systems out loud…and turn to keep my emergency landing zone in sight..I simulate my mayday calls …give instruction on what I will do when landing was assured (turn crap off to minimize spark risk, open door, etc.) After a minute or two he calls knock it off..head home.

The ride back was uneventful, my forward slip to a landing was ok…but I floated a little long…. took it in on taxi and was way to zealous to make the tower controller’s life easy (that’s right get to the verrry end and choke..NICE WORK!!!!). Minor brainfart…..He reminded me that the runway and taxi way are mine, and to keep my runway diagram OUT and refer to it carefully before moving without clear understanding of where I was going…POINT Made and Received!!!!
Taxi Back and parked……..
AND That’s How I Done IT!!!
–Alfalfa, from The Little Rascals

I loved it.

Post those video's you speak of on you tube please. I am going after my SP so it will be a little different but I loved your right up.

Thanks for posting this.

Tony

I loved it.

Post those video's you speak of on you tube please. I am going after my SP so it will be a little different but I loved your right up.

Yeah but what about what he wrote?

Thanks for the post. Great write-up.

Well done from a fellow Long Island pilot! Great to see another local get their wings! Enjoy the newfound privellages.

That's awesome, congrats. Makes me think of my own check ride; it ended up being an exhausting but fun learning experience.

Do the examiners still give you a distraction to see if you stop flying the plane? A dropped pencil or pointing another plane out nearby?

That's awesome, congrats. Makes me think of my own check ride; it ended up being an exhausting but fun learning experience.

Do the examiners still give you a distraction to see if you stop flying the plane? A dropped pencil or pointing another plane out nearby?

If he tried to distract me..I sure as Hell didn't notice between the req'd tower radio work, traffic, and monitoring NY Approach...;)

Mine said he wouldn't, but then proceeded to comment about how pretty the Bay was, right after rotation.

The Flight Portion:
I preflight the aircraft, go inside get my examiner and get back into the aircraft. I brief him on he aircraft safety systems: seatbelts, what to do if we need to rapidly exit the aircraft…bla bla bla. He asks if I have foggles..UM..Crap…They’re back inside…..

OK Take Two:
Re-Review passenger safety briefing…I make the point that since this aircraft is equipped with one, as a passenger, he will be required to use the seatbelt AND shoulder harness durin the taxi, takeoff, climb descent and landing phases of our flight…He seems to enjoy this level of attention.. he plugs his in, and asks.”Hey, you have a headset right?” CRAP- inside- right next to the spot where I found the FOGGLES…

I had to laugh when I read that. I did the exact same thing on my ride. My examiner was a portly fellow and crawling in and out of that Cherokee 140 looked like quite an effort. I felt so stupid, but the examiner was a good guy about it.

Congrats on passing the checkride! I've had a blast flying since I got my cert and am currently building x-c hours for the instrument. Now get out there and have some fun (as soon as the wx breaks)!!

I'm sure that sort of thing happens all the time.

It's hard to imagine the kind of games your head plays with you in this context, until you experience it.

Mine said he wouldn't, but then proceeded to comment about how pretty the Bay was, right after rotation.

Mine certainly did. He tuned our ADF into a sports radio station and cranked it up for about 10 minutes when I started my diversion. I was giggling the whole time.

I did my checkride in two days, first the oral, next morning the flight. My DPE reminded me atleast 20 times about bringing the foggles.

Guess what happened... Yep, I forgot :)

Mine certainly did. He tuned our ADF into a sports radio station and cranked it up for about 10 minutes when I started my diversion. I was giggling the whole time.

During my check ride the DPE had this amazing distraction which, honestly still to this day, I'm not sure if it was a distraction or if it was real! While arriving at the airport he said, something like, wow I live right there and I don't see my car in the driveway. Can I have the controls or a minute to see what's up. We did the positive exchange of controls and he quickly said something about ohh yeah that's right I know what's going on and gave me back the controls. I was not really distracted at all but it was either a pretty genious way to distract he was actually worried!

On mine, the examiner said "Hey look at that. Another airplane just flew right below us." My response was only, "he got a good look at my belly then." To this day I don't know if that was truly my distraction, but I can certainly see how it could turn into one.

Fun times...

That sounds about like mine! Just got the card in the mail today! I forgot to start the timer on takeoff and realized about a few minutes in. Luckily the waypoints were very visible and the g1000 was set also :).
Had a plane actually declare a emergency when I was on final and I had to divert and go around. His engine was making a wierd noise on downwind.

Overall the dpe was nice and said on my final landing, "you pass if you don't screw this up". Wonderful pressure on the last one.

Now I am 1/4 into ifr training. Got that written next week.

Back