Artic Air A/C

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
I am wondering if anyone has purchased an Artic Air portable air conditioner? Thoughts? I have a Commander 114 and just curious which size would be best (if size affects cabin cooling or just length of available cooling)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Here is one thread from 2007...

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13822

It's actually called an Arctic Air. You may have better luck searching through threads if you include the "c" in the name.

Overall, it sounds like it works if you can spare the useful load. Good luck with your research! Don't forget to report back to let us know how it works for you.

I bought a similar product and have found that it works quite well for its intended purpose.

After using it last summer, I have learned that:
  • Using the unit to pre-cool the cabin is an important part of the comfort, so I encourage starting the unit prior to the preflight to get a head-start.
  • Anyone contemplating an ice-chest cooler should also consider a full set of window shades. Lowe's sells the rolls of aluminum-backed sandwich material, so you can easily fabricate enough shades for three airplanes for less than $50.
  • Position the cold air outlet(s) so they blow directly on the back of your neck. The process may require some experimentation that should be done prior to using the unit for a trip, and may also require some modification or extension of the plastic hose, such as a Y-connector if a passenger is aboard. You may also need some seat-belt extensions or bungee cords to secure the unit in the seat.
  • With a little planning, you can simplify the process and save some time and money. Use shoebox-size plastic tubs to freeze your own ice blocks. They fit perfectly and last much longer than crushed ice. Fill some quart-sized freezer bags with cubes, to provide the initial coolant until the block starts to melt. Fill a few 1 liter plastic drink bottles with water and keep them in the garage refrigerator. When you leave home for the airport, toss one block of ice, one bag of cubes and one bottle of cold water into a spare cooler. I have a small fridge in the hangar, so I keep a couple of sets on-site.

Wayne,

Great advice, tips, and tricks! I am just about sold, now just looking into the actual size I want.

Jeff

FWIW, I bought the Comfort Chill unit that's now advertised on Ebay. At the time, the cost was quite a bit less than others. I've had it less than a year, but it has worked well (so far) and all the parts appear to be easily replaceable if they break. The pump and fan controls are on the cord near the plug, so opearation in flight is quite user-friendly
Wayne,

Great advice, tips, and tricks! I am just about sold, now just looking into the actual size I want.

Jeff

I need one too, it's freeking hot here. I've got a couple of questions, that hope someone can answer.

Do you end up with moisture inside you aircraft ?
User, Wabower, recommends airflow directly to the back of the neck, is it not strong enough to keep the entire cabin cool (4 seater) ?

Thanks for your input.

FWIW I know of several folks who have built similar devices for significantly less money. A pump, fan, heater core and a cooler are the major components.

The moisture is largely contained within the A/C unit (ice chest) and any increase in cabin humidity levels is inconsequential. The unit will cool the cabin to some extent. I'm really more concerned about my personal comfort rather than ambient cabin temperature, so I direct the flow accordingly.

FWIW, I use the same strategy in the car, execpt that the outlets are on the dash and the air hits the front of my head rather than the back.
I need one too, it's freeking hot here. I've got a couple of questions, that hope someone can answer.

User, Wabower, recommends airflow directly to the back of the neck, is it not strong enough to keep the entire cabin cool (4 seater) ?

Thanks for your input.

Component costs can vary significantly, depending on a variety of factors. The list I used was closer to $150 plus tax, and the features of the ready-made unit were superior to those of the home-brew plans that I saw at the time. I've also learned over the years that parts aren't the only cost involved in any project, and the unit was delivered in three days. YMMV.

Not sure what prompted your question, but to be clear, these devices are NOT "swamp coolers", which work well in dry environments using the effect of water vaporization to reduce air temperature. A byproduct of such coolers (in a closed environment) is increased humidity (and thus reduced effectiveness over time as the air becomes saturated).

The ice chest coolers do not work that way. They have a working fluid (water) in a closed loop that carries heat from the air (when the fan blows warm air over the heat exchanger filled with cool water) and dumps it into the ice (which melts and produces the cool water for the loop).

As wabower said, for practical purposes it's essentially a sealed system and all the water involved stays inside the ice chest and the heat exchanger loop. (What little vapor leaks out will not make a noticeable difference in cabin humidity levels.)

Last edited:
For sake of clarity and full disclosure, I'm aware that the design of some of the early units led to some residual moisture on the radiator being sucked through the fan, and resulting in some misting in the cabin. Those problems were resolved by design changes (more plenum space between the components) and no longer seem to be a problem.

I think one of the most important features for these units is the placement of the controls. Mine has the switchbox incorporated into the cord, less than "12 from the power plug, so they are quite convenient to reach while flying the plane. Some units have the switches built into the main cooler box assembly, which would be unacceptable in my application.

Not sure what prompted your question, but to be clear, these devices are NOT "swamp coolers", which work well in dry environments using the effect of water vaporization to reduce air temperature. A byproduct of such coolers (in a closed environment) is increased humidity (and thus reduced effectiveness over time as the air becomes saturated).

The ice chest coolers do not work that way. They have a working fluid (water) in a closed loop that carries heat from the air (when the fan blows warm air over the heat exchanger filled with cool water) and dumps it into the ice (which melts and produces the cool water for the loop).

As wabower said, for practical purposes it's essentially a sealed system and all the water involved stays inside the ice chest and the heat exchanger loop. (What little vapor leaks out will not make a noticeable difference in cabin humidity levels.)

Back