Arthur Godfrey - Teterboro Tower

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Nothing to do with the current news....

It says that Arthur Godfrey had his certificate suspended for buzzing the tower.

He was an ornery cuss.

Another version

How izzit I never heard this before?

Dunno, I heard that as a kid growing up in NJ. In fact that was about the only thing I knew about Teterboro back then.

Thanks for that, Mike, it's hilarious!

Dunno, I heard that as a kid growing up in NJ. In fact that was about the only thing I knew about Teterboro back then.

I like looking at things about flying that made no sense to me back when I was little and now evaluating the jargon for accuracy. :)

Another version

"[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Arthur Godfrey and the Teterboro Tower[/FONT]

In the mid 1950’s, Arthur Godfrey was preparing to take off from Teterboro Airport in his private DC-3. He requested a take off on a runway, which was into the wind. The tower refused his request and instructed him to use a runway, which had a sizeable crosswind. He complied, but he buzzed the tower, almost running into it. The tower personnel dove for cover and reported him. After a long hassle, Godfrey had his license suspended for six months. The following song was then written to

commemorate the incident, and get back at the FAA. Teterboro Tower (Oscar Brand & Jac Holzman)"

After the video finished, I started watching Flying with Arthur Godfrey video's (1 through 8 ). They are GREAT!

Thanks for sharing the link!

Arthur Godfrey

Teterboro Tower, this is Piper 202
I'm turning on my downwind leg
my fabrics come un-glue'd
The stick is burbling in my hand,
I think I feel a stall
and a bug's caught in my pitot,
my gauges don't read at all.

Now listen Piper 202 this is Teterboro Tower,
I can not raise the crash-crew,
because it is their coffe-hour.
And you're not cleared in the pattern,
don't try a landing yet,
just circle for departures
while I moved your cigarette.

Help Teterboro Tower, this is Piper 202
I'm sweating out this landing
I don't know what to do.
My Super-Homer's on the blink,
and your voice is fading fast,
please clear me on my final
or this flight may be my last.

Now listen Piper 202 this is Teterboro Tower,
I'd like to help you, buddy,
but I just don't have the power.
The FAA is your only hope,
so if you've time to spare,
just file a form in triplicate
and sign the questionaire.

Teterboro Tower, this is Piper 202
I'm in Secausus Hospital,
I owe it all to you.
I'm sorry that I cracked it up,
and messed your pretty field,
We'll try it once around again,
if ever I get healed.

:rofl:

The depiction of a KTEB tower controller is pretty accurate, except for the accent... :D

Good ol' Oscar Brand...and this is a revision of his original "Itazuke Tower" of Korean War vintage.

Brand wrote dozens of aviation ditties like that.

It looks like the second video is Oscar Brand and obviously, by the noise, from a record.

Whoever tried transcribing the lyrics above didn't know it's "mooch a cigarette." Kids these days.

Good ol' Oscar Brand...and this is a revision of his original "Itazuke Tower" of Korean War vintage.

Yes, and the Air Force museum has a display of the original lyrics, attributed to Lt. William McCrystal in 1947. Brand released the "Itazuke Tower" version on his "Wild Blue Yonder" album in 1959. The "Teterboro Tower" version is on his "Up in the Air" album of General Aviation Songs. I can't find a copyright date on mine, but I'm guessing it was released in the early to mid '60s. Neither LP includes any attributation for the lyrics; "Wild Blue Yonder" claims that all the songs came from a mimeographed sheet of Air Force songs.

Gill Getz' book "The Wild Blue Yonder: Songs of the Air Force" includes it under its alternate title, "Air Force 810." Getz often gives attributation, but not in this case. Dick Jonas' version references the Getz book and shows it as "lyricist unknown."

According to rb-29.net, Godfrey performed "Itazuke Tower" at one of the celebrations when the Air Force became independent in 1947. Unless Godfrey owned a "Piper 202" at some point, I'm guessing "Teterboro Tower" came from Brand.

Ron Wanttaja

Back