Artery blockage

U

Unregistered

If.... you are told you are showing blockage, and.... it is suggested that you have a stent inserted, how does that impact a 3rd class medical?
Can you PIC until the procedure takes place?
How soon afterward can you resume PIC flights?
Is it better to use medication for the blockage, or just do the stent and get it over with? ( Does it give you renewed energy etc??)
Thanks !!!!

Unregistered said:
If.... you are told you are showing blockage, and.... it is suggested that you have a stent inserted, how does that impact a 3rd class medical?
Is it better to use medication for the blockage, or just do the stent and get it over with? ( Does it give you renewed energy etc??)
Thanks !!!!

I hope you get some good answers, I'd be interested in knowing your outcome. As to how either treatment effects your 3rd class, I can't tell you, but my supposition is you would be expected to self ground. I could just as easily be wrong about that. Best thing would be to call an AME on the other side of the country from a pay phone across town:rolleyes: , maybe Dr. Chen will drop by for this. As to the proceedure on a non aviation, I worked for a couple years with an old man who for a year and a half was doing the meds for the same thing, constant headaches were a side effect for him. They finally did a stent, and he seemed much better very shortly after. YMMV, I'm not quite that age, but I've got a lot less years in front of me than behind me till I get there. Modified my diet a couple weeks ago, gotta go in and get a new check on the cholesterol, was kinda high:eek: last month.

sad to say this, but I suggest you go over to the red board, medical matters and post there. Dr Bruce no longer checks in here... :-(

You can, if you're an AOPA member, call the AOPA medical help desk for a quick answer. But my gut feel is that if you have been told you have a coronary artery blocked, you know you have a "medical condition that would make [you] unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation" (to quote 14 CFR 61.53(a)(1)), since that sounds to this non-physician like "Coronary heart disease that has required treatment or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant," to quote the cardiovascular standard for a 3rd class medical (14 CFR 67.311(c)). I'd recommend not flying as a required pilot crewmember until you find out more from a qualified aviation medical source.

Unregistered said:
Thanks !!!!

I'm assuming your talking about a blockage in a heart artery. That means, like Ron said, you have a "heart condition" and need to self-ground according to the regs. If you haven't had an actual heart attack (MI) that is good. Get the stent if it is recommended. Then you need to wait 6 months, get an EKG and Stress Test (go till you get to 100% of your target heart rate, don't stop early even if they ask if you would like to stop), get all the records from the stent placement and a letter from your cardiologist telling all about your heart disease, risks factors, medicines you are taking and how well you are doing. Then, depending on when you are due for you next medical----- If it had already expired, take it in to the AME, you will probably get defered (unless you have a motived and connected AME) but if everything looks good you will get a special issuance. If your last medical has not expired by then, you can send it direct to Oklahoma and get a special issuance and usually a letter that lets your AME issue at your next medical. If had an airman with that scenario recently, I worked with him to make sure all his ducks were in a row, he sent the stuff to OK City and got a very rewarding letter back.

Good luck to you. It is better to get your heart fixed before it actually breaks.

Barb

Be SURE your doc fully explains the real risks and complications that may arise after stent installation. The risks are real and can be dangerous like, up to and including DEATH - many reported! Blood clots can form around the stent and lead to a heart attack, among other complications - as per FDA! Blood thinning meds must be taken in hope of preventing clots. They say, for three months. And after that??? The stent, Cypher, from Cordis Corp, is under scrutiny, per American Heart Association. Cypher accounts for 60% of all stents. Me? They'd play hell trying to con me into a stent.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back