ARRRRGGGG!!! Apple again

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
This morning our iMac won't start. Again.

I've attached a photo of what the screen shows. I would be most appreciative if any of your kool aid drinkers could decript this most descriptive message from Apple.

dsc_0003.jpg

Last edited:
It needs defibrillating, Chip. Get an old electric cord, cut off the female end and strip those two wires......

Power drill.

3/8" bit, centered right on that little face thing.

It doesn't look like a "broken folder" to me, if you have the current or last release of osx on it watch it for a few minutes and see if it flashes the circle/slash symbol (like do not enter, no smoking, etc).

If it does, the mac can't find it's system folder. reinstall, I think.

It flashes between that and a folder with a "?".... as in, why didn't you buy a Dell?

The only hope for Apple after OS 7.0 was the die hard graphics people with no personal life. Well, that and the iPod.

It's called the Russian method...beat it until it works.

Or until it re-enters the atmosphere, then get something better. For which, I think an Etch-a-scetch would qualify.

Love Apple's error messages, Chip. There's that one, and then the Sad Mac, and oh - who can forget the bomb with "Error 8" on the old Macs.

:rolleyes:

Do what I do with all my rotten apples...throw 'em out in the woods for the wildlife to eat and enjoy :D
Sorry I'm no help Chip.

This morning our iMac won't start. Again.

I've attached a photo of what the screen shows. I would be most appreciative if any of your kool aid drinkers could decript this most descriptive message from Apple.

dsc_0003.jpg

Chip,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner - Spike told me about it on the phone last night, so here I am. (Feel free to call me (on my iPhone ;)) directly if you have any Mac problems!)

The alternating flashing folder/question mark means that the machine can't find a valid system folder. There could be several reasons for this:

1) Mouse button is stuck. Holding the mouse button down at startup on the Mac has, since the dawn of time or January 24th 1984 whichever is later, been a signal to the Mac to spit out all removable disks and pretty much reject anything that's connected, thus waiting for you to connect another drive. Used for troubleshooting purposes, but if someone spilled their Pepsi on the mouse and the button sticks, well... So, try unplugging the mouse and try to boot again.

2) The Mac has "forgotten" its startup disk for some reason. This is stored in PRAM/NVRAM. If it's corrupted, you can "zap" it by holding down command-option-P-R immediately after pressing the power button. Hold it until you hear the startup chime again, and keep holding it until you hear the startup chime another time or two for good measure. Alternatively, your PRAM battery may be toast if you're using an older machine, especially one that's unplugged for long periods of time. I think most of the newer machines use a big capacitor instead, tho.

If the PRAM zap doesn't do the trick, try putting one of your original system CD's in the drive and boot off that. If the machine doesn't see the CD for some reason, power off and back on and hold the "C" key which will force the computer to boot off the CD. Once you boot up, check the system clock. If it shows the year as being 1970 or something else absurd, that would indicate that the PRAM is not being properly stored and you need a new battery.

Otherwise, you should be able to go into System Preferences under the Apple menu and click on "Startup Disk". Select the hard drive and you should be good to go. If it doesn't appear in the list, then maybe...

3) Something has caused you to not have a valid system folder. Giving grandma the administrator password or your kid playing around with deleting random files can cause this. If this is the case, a reinstall is in order (choose the "Archive and install" option).

Call me if this doesn't solve it or you need any other iHelp. :yes:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have unplugged, replugged, pressed all conceivable key sequences during startup, inserted the original OS disk, and used words that caused my wife to cover my teenagers' ears... all to no avail (although the swearing did make me feel a bit better). Yesterday I took it to the local Mac store for them to do their voodoo. No word back yet. The OS disk was still in the CD drive - I never could get it back out.

I'll let you know what they come up with.

My Son: "Dad, what's wrong with this stupid computer."
Me: "It sucks."
My Son: "Yea, seems to me like all Apple stuff sucks."

I'm so proud.

Well, it sounds like it could very well be a dead hard drive, and that sure ain't Apple's fault. :no:

My Son: "Dad, what's wrong with this stupid computer."
Me: "It sucks."
My Son: "Yea, seems to me like all Apple stuff sucks."

I'm so proud.
But, but, but...

My son bought me an iPhone (isn't guilt a wonderful thing?????) and he feels inferior now calling me with his Blackberry. :D And my little iPod has lasted over 3 years and it keeps on singing to me, even though I've dropped it on it's little head more than once. :D Some iStuff is OK.

Buy a PC. the crashes are better known and more readily solved.

I had 512k "fat Mac" back in the day. Much easier to deal with than the 'clones' but we've come a long way....

My son bought me an iPhone (isn't guilt a wonderful thing?????)

Holy cow! :hairraise:

My mom's a guilt-trippin' expert, but I've never had the desire to buy her anything worth $400. :eek:

You must be an expert guilt-tripper. :yes:

And my offer extends to you as well - If you ever have any problems with your iStuff and you want some assistance, give me a call. PM me if you don't have my number. :)

If so, that would be our second hard drive failure.

Still doesn't make it Apple's fault... Just like it's not Cirrus' fault that some folks are on their 4th or 5th Avidyne PFD.

Just curious, tho... What brand of HD is in your iMac? Did you replace it with the same brand or something else? Did you take it in to an Apple store, or somewhere else? Did they get it fixed yet? Was your data intact?

Holy cow! :hairraise:
My mom's a guilt-trippin' expert, but I've never had the desire to buy her anything worth $400. :eek:
Maybe it's time!!! :D

And my offer extends to you as well - If you ever have any problems with your iStuff and you want some assistance, give me a call. PM me if you don't have my number. :)
Thanks Kent! :) I've barely scratched the surface on figuring out what this thing can do.

PM me if you need data recovery. I have a great data recovery guy.

Rich

Rich

Thanks Rich. They said they are trying to do recovery. If they can't I'll let you know. We need photos and music off of that disk.

You're welcome. Spike also has his number if I'm not around. Things got real busy here all of the sudden... these machines all get sick at the same time, it seems.

Rich

Rich

Trust him, he speaks the truth!

(Which is to say, I got my bag-o-disks, all recovery accomplished).

Thanks, Rich!

You're welcome, Spike. Stefan told me about the successful recovery when I called him about another job we're working on. He's always so genuinely pleased when he gets someone's data back. He takes it quite seriously, as well he should.

I'm especially glad you got your data back. I now hope you'll consider my suggestion regarding FilesAnywhere.com or some other similar service.

Rich

Still doesn't make it Apple's fault... Just like it's not Cirrus' fault that some folks are on their 4th or 5th Avidyne PFD.

Just curious, tho... What brand of HD is in your iMac? Did you replace it with the same brand or something else? Did you take it in to an Apple store, or somewhere else? Did they get it fixed yet? Was your data intact?

It IS Apple's fault if a disk drive they install goes bad. The system manufacturer has a responsibility to test and certify the components THE MAKER chooses to be put in the system. If they get a pass on disk drives because they don't make them, do they get a pass on RAM chips,, then the support chipsets? :no:

But my Macs have Seagate drives. I did check when I got mine and felt at ease about that. I'm very happy with Seagate drives. I've never had one go bad in recent decades. In fact, the server makers that I order from on my day job also always use Seagate drives.

It IS Apple's fault if a disk drive they install goes bad. The system manufacturer has a responsibility to test and certify the components THE MAKER chooses to be put in the system. If they get a pass on disk drives because they don't make them, do they get a pass on RAM chips,, then the support chipsets? :no:

If you mean that in a DOA sense, or in overall statistical reliability of the entire brand, I agree. If you mean that Apple should be able to predict that Chip Gibbons' hard drive is going to fail two years, four months, and seventeen days from now, I'd like to have some of what you're smokin'.

Apple did use Western Digital drives on one of the old G3 or G4 towers - For a VERY short time. Western Digital sucks, customers let 'em have it, and they never tried WD again. They do use a lot of Seagate.

But my Macs have Seagate drives. I did check when I got mine and felt at ease about that. I'm very happy with Seagate drives. I've never had one go bad in recent decades. In fact, the server makers that I order from on my day job also always use Seagate drives.

I'd tend to agree, but I haven't really played with desktop drives in a little over 5 years since I sold my consulting business. I've been 100% laptop ever since. For laptop drives, IBM was my favorite, but they sold their HD division. I think it's Hitachi now. Still good drives. :yes:

I use Seagate, Samsung, and Hitachi with good success. I haven't used Western Dig for years (although people tell me they're better now), and I don't even want to think about how many Maxtor drives I've had fail on me.

Now that Seagate owns Maxtor, maybe the quality will return. They used to be good drives once upon a time. But it'll take some convincing before I use them again.

Rich

Hmmm... I remember when we'd try to install CMI 40 meg hard drives (only formatted out to 32 meg because of addressing in DOS), you'd have to set 'em up sideways, turn them on, let them warm up for about 20 mnutes before you actually tried to format 'em. Let's see, wan't there an "Init," followed by FDisk, then "Format C: /s"?

Then you'd pray.

About 1 on 3 worked out of the box, and they were something like 2 grand in inventory. We put them into the hottest PCs going at the time, the Eagle PC.

Hmmm... I remember when we'd try to install CMI 40 meg hard drives (only formatted out to 32 meg because of addressing in DOS), you'd have to set 'em up sideways, turn them on, let them warm up for about 20 mnutes before you actually tried to format 'em. Let's see, wan't there an "Init," followed by FDisk, then "Format C: /s"?

Then you'd pray.

About 1 on 3 worked out of the box, and they were something like 2 grand in inventory. We put them into the hottest PCs going at the time, the Eagle PC.
Let's really go back in time.

DEBUG
G=C800:5

And do you want a 5MB or a 10MB Winchester drive in your $3000 computer? There's only a $500 difference!

:)

Grant, you hit a nerve there!

What bugs me the most, is that while I diddled with the PCs some, while we hammered away at doing third-party mx on PCs (never any money in 'em), I really should remember how to initialize and load up a hard drive on a DEC PDP 11, but... I cannot. I was quite the hot-shot in those days on the PDP-11, RT11, etc.

All gone.

Is this the first sign of senility?

Wow... the PDP-11... There's a blast from the past.

Rich

Wow... the PDP-11... There's a blast from the past.

Rich

Rich, when I left in '89, they were still running some systems with PDP-8s, with mag core memory. Really.

Of course, in the suport facility, I was SysOp on our system, 22 users on a PDP-11/23+ (kind-of, actually was an SMS-1000, a DEC clone with a genuine DEC Processor and a QBUS architecture), 2Mb RAM (that was a LOT), An Aspen Peripherals 3480 tape unit, an STC 2920 open-reel tape drive, and we even had two DEC RK07 disk pack units (it was a real mish-mash, with a QBUS-to-UNIBUS cable and an expansion chassis with a UNIBUS backplane for UNIBUS-only controllers).

It all worked really well, running the TSX+ multi-user opsys on top of RT11, never crashed, and that included having a couple of rowdy oftware developers on it.

No graphics, but work got done.

Grant, you hit a nerve there!

What bugs me the most, is that while I diddled with the PCs some, while we hammered away at doing third-party mx on PCs (never any money in 'em), I really should remember how to initialize and load up a hard drive on a DEC PDP 11, but... I cannot. I was quite the hot-shot in those days on the PDP-11, RT11, etc.

All gone.

Is this the first sign of senility?
It's funny, but I was talking with a fellow pilot/computer geek last night and we started calling out the debug sequence for doing a low format of a HD from memory in unison! It was scary!

Oh, I used to know what the first sign of senility was, but I've forgotten! LOL!

Back