Arrow III Removable rear seat weight?

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
The rear seats on my Arrow III are very easy to remove to make more space. I cannot find the weight of the seat in the POH and wondered if anyone had knew what to subtract from the W&B for the removal of a rear seat.

I can weigh is to find out but have not done so yet.

I know I can do that but it is so much more fun watching people argue over something that has nothing to do with the original post!!!!

I am sure I will get some spiffy advice on the subject as well.

Details on weight and location are in the TCDS. If you have the bench seat in the back, you may not want to remove it. Too easy to damage the side panels.

Get your A&P to create a second W&B for you with the back seats removed based on the TCDS.

Well, either weigh them or reweigh the airplane without them. Just remember to put a note in the log when they go in and out.

Do you need to log even the removable seats? The Arrow III has the removable bucket seats. All you do is push a tab and they slide right out. Takes about 60 seconds to do.

Do you need to log even the removable seats? The Arrow III has the removable bucket seats. All you do is push a tab and they slide right out. Takes about 60 seconds to do.

Don't know for sure, are they a required item on the TCDS?

The rear seats on my Arrow III are very easy to remove to make more space. I cannot find the weight of the seat in the POH and wondered if anyone had knew what to subtract from the W&B for the removal of a rear seat.

I can weigh is to find out but have not done so yet.

Is there an equipment list in the back of your POH?

Not sure, The TCDS only lists 4 seats 2 at +80.5, 2 at +118.1 There are no notes regarding the removal of a rear seat. So I guess it needs to be noted, but seems silly to put a note in the logs that are not with the airplane. :dunno:

Are they Required items on the TCDS, IOW is the plane airworthy without them?

Details on weight and location are in the TCDS. If you have the bench seat in the back, you may not want to remove it. Too easy to damage the side panels.

Get your A&P to create a second W&B for you with the back seats removed based on the TCDS.

Not horrible advice however, I've seen weights on an equipment list differ from the actual part by more than 10 pounds.

Weighing it is the only way to know for sure. Years of use, reupholstrey jobs and repairs etc can significantly change weight of anything.

Not that familiar with the TCDS, but since it shows 4 seats it could be read that with two seats it is not airworthy. With that in mind I am not sure why Piper would have went to the expense of the clips that make it so easy to remove if they didn't intend for them to be removable. I attached a copy of the TCDS for my airplane.

I know you can fit a hellatious amount of camping gear in the back of the Arrow with the seats removed. Not that I would know but a friend of a friend told me it is so.

Attachments

• PA28R-201 TCDS.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I know I can do that but it is so much more fun watching people argue over something that has nothing to do with the original post!!!!

the rear seats are part of the type certificate. it's illegal to fly without them.

:lol:

Not that familiar with the TCDS, but since it shows 4 seats it could be read that with two seats it is not airworthy. With that in mind I am not sure why Piper would have went to the expense of the clips that make it so easy to remove if they didn't intend for them to be removable. I attached a copy of the TCDS for my airplane.

I know you can fit a hellatious amount of camping gear in the back of the Arrow with the seats removed. Not that I would know but a friend of a friend told me it is so.

Doesn't have the equipment list there, that should be in your POH.

Arrow II POH states
"The rear seats are easily removed to provide room for bulky items."

The equipment list shows them as 13.5lbs each at 124.1 inches aft of the datum

Most interesting thread in a long time

I am an instigator, but I always learn something when I ask a question.

Ok the POH says. "The rear seats are easily removed to make room for bulky items"

What chapter did you find the weight in, Duncan?

Tim is this what you have in mind for the Arrow?
http://milehightc.com/airplane.html

MHC-Inter.jpg

I didn't know about that one. Well at least they include: One (1) VERY DISCREET PILOT

Back