Williams5
Cant seem to find the R in ARROW...

A-91.203
R-91.203
R-???
O-91.9
W-91.9/91.103

Any help is appreciated!

Radio operators license. No longer required in the US, thus the difficulty of finding it.

The beauty of acronyms.. the need not be spelled corectlyishlike.

And as an aside, please don't let anyone say or write anacronyms. They just never existed.

Last edited:
Note that 87.18 is in 47 CFR (FCC regs) rather than 14 CFR FAA regs. As pointed out, for most domestic operations it isn't required anymore.

ARROW was always an inane mnemonic. There is NO direct regulatory requirement for Weight and Balance directly. In the few places it occurs, it's just part of the O.

91.109 has SQUAT to do with "required documents." That's all about PREFLIGHT planning not what you're required to carry in the aircraft. 91.9 doesn't even rightfully tell you what the paperwork is on aircraft without AFMs. For that you'll have read the type certificate.

Take the Navion. There' s no "required" POH. The type certificate just requires the Operating Limitations book and an Equipment List. One may intuit an empty weight and arm being part of that information, but literally, it isn't. The Operating Limitations book does have the envelope/gross weight information. There are also a half a dozen required placards listed there. For my particular aircraft, because of the STCs for the autopilot, IFR GPS, aux tanks, etc... there are a half a dozen SUPPLEMENTS to the non-existant flight manual. I have them in a binder in the back of the plane along with my self designed (though no required) W&B worksheet (handy for my checkride). In addition, the above supplements require the manuals for various devices to be present as well.

Cant seem to find the R in ARROW...

A-91.203
R-91.203
R-???
O-91.9
W-91.9/91.103

Any help is appreciated!

As was said before, radio ops liscense, it IS needed if you got international, and it's also super easy to get if you're a PPL or better, if you're going to have a ICAO ticket, might as well get the radio liscense and stick it in your wallet too.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

Then your plane needs a license as a station, that one costs a little more, you can get it at the same link I posted. I will say for Canada, at least, no one cares and even if they did they have, as far as I know, zero enforcement for a FAA cert or plane, so worse you'd get is a talking too. The airplane one DOES expire, the one for the pilot does NOT expire.

Here the restricted operators (pilot) one.
image.jpg

The FCC has now unified all the operators licenses to have both the "wall certificate" and the "wallet copy." Used to be my non-restricted licenses were real "certificates" (suitable for framing). Now I can carry my AMATEUR RADIO LICENSE, GENERAL RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR LICENSE, and RADIOTELEGRAPH OPERATOR LICENSE all in my wallet.

The operator license hasn't been required domestically in many decades. The station license hasn't been required in two decades for domestic use. ARROW only refers to aircraft documents (i.e., the station license).

Damn the makers. I was wrong and Ron is correct. Mnemonic, not acronym. Perhaps my last mistake for 2016? Stay tuned!
Well it is an acronym as well. Acronyms are words made up out of initial letters of other words. Mnemonic just means memory device.

You weren't wrong (at least not on this point).

Google says I was wrong... must be true, right?

An acronym is a pronounceable word made out of the first letters of the name of an organization, institution, or whatever. A mnemonic device is a word, phrase, or sentence that is used to remember a number of separate objects, elements, ideas, etc. that make up a group.

But thanks!

The POH isn't required in anything before 1978, including 172s. The O is "operating limitations," which might come from the POH, or the complete set of required placards. It's kinda nice to have expanded emergency checklists, just in case, but they are not always required by regulation. Some "emergencies" come with a lot of time available, such as gear extension faults or loss of electrical power.

The POH isn't required in anything before 1978, including 172s. The O is "operating limitations," which might come from the POH, or the complete set of required placards. It's kinda nice to have expanded emergency checklists, just in case, but they are not always required by regulation. Some "emergencies" come with a lot of time available, such as gear extension faults or loss of electrical power.

Unless you're arguing semantics of the name "POH" that is not true. Some older planes require a flight manual to be present in the airplane. Consult the TCDS to know if the plane you're flying or own requires it.

The Navion has nothing resembling a flight manual required. The required document is a limitations book (has the allowable fuel (laughably out of date), oil (less laughably but still out of date), and various capacities and V speeds and the W&B envelope). There's an "Owner's Manual" which has a nice description of systems and techniques to fly (again laughably how to use your 1950's era radio to get into a 1950's era Los Angeles International) but it's not a required document. The rest of the limitations take the form of several mandatory placards which advise you of things like allowable manouvers, some other speeds, and to not leave the aircraft with the engine running.

If you're in a later aircraft, even the approved flight manual may not be the end-all of what is requried. For example, some planes require a NO SMOKING sign which is, for all intents and purposes, as mandatory as the other documents.

Back