Arrow BGE adjustment

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Went up yesterday for my third flight with the mechanic trying to adjust the backup gear extender (BGE). We can't seem to get the spread right.

1st flight, he forgot the wrench to adjust the spread - no comment :nonod:
2nd flight, no joy, he wanted to take it apart and clean the shaft where you adjust the spread.
3rd flight, not great, can't get the spread right, either way too much or not enough.

Right now, we are just going to leave it. It goes down at about 98 and up at maybe 88, should be 105/85. If I don't like it I will just keep it in override.

Any ideas for correcting this? I would as soon it were working correctly and have no plan to remove or permanently disable it.

Leaks, chased them for many a day on our arrow, gave up and disabled the system.

Leaks, chased them for many a day on our arrow, gave up and disabled the system.

I don't know about leaks, but this thing has been disabled in the club's Arrow for at least 10 years (as long as I've been flying it).

I don't know about leaks, but this thing has been disabled in the club's Arrow for at least 10 years (as long as I've been flying it).

We could rig ours to drop the gear at the proper speed or allow you to retract them at the proper speed, not both, friction and pneumatic leaks are your enemy in the system. We disabled it, hardly even got a question about it from the FAA and no question about it from the insurance company when it gear upped last year.

Back