Arriving on Sunday the 22?

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
I'm tossing around the idea of flying up (from KALO, Waterloo,Ia) on the Sunday prior to Air Venture. The main benefit is getting settled in without using up a day of vacation and more of a weather buffer if needed. Is the Fisk arrival procedure in progress the Sunday prior? This will be my first time flying up and camping...I'm thinking on the North 40. Is there any issue with having my wife park her car next to my airplane? I'm taking the club's Citabria 7ECA and looking forward to it.

The AirVenture NOTAM will be out Any Day Now. Get a copy and read it. Seriously!

Last year it was active starting the Friday preceding the show, so yes, you can count on its being active the Sunday preceding it! As to how busy it will be, I'll let someone who hasn't only come in IFR answer that.

No, you won't be able to park (or even drive) the car next to the plane in the North 40 (or pretty much anywhere else.)

Fly in anyway!

I have a good understanding on the NOTAM...I should have waited a day and my question would have been answered. Thanks for the info on how it is usually done...that is what I was initially looking for before the release of the NOTAM. I will have to do a little research and soul searching on how bad I want to fly up if we (the family) can't stay together. Maybe save my Airventure flying money and do a POA fly-in instead.....

Just looked up Gaston's and I will be out of town...you gotta love the Guard! :mad:

Last edited:
Is the Fisk arrival procedure in progress the Sunday prior?

Yup - But it's really not a big deal if you read and follow the NOTAM.

This will be my first time flying up and camping...I'm thinking on the North 40. Is there any issue with having my wife park her car next to my airplane?

You can't park a car next to an airplane at OSH - You can't get a car on the field at all. Plenty of parking outside the grounds though.

I'm taking the club's Citabria 7ECA and looking forward to it.

Cool! Does that happen to be N8313V?

I will have to do a little research and soul searching on how bad I want to fly up if we (the family) can't stay together. Maybe save my Airventure flying money and do a POA fly-in instead.....

What I would suggest, if your wife is going to drive, is that you make a GAP sign instead of a GAC sign. In fact, if you're taking 13V or another plane that qualifies for Vintage ('72 or earlier this year, I think?), make a VAP sign. Park the airplane in a "Parking" area instead of a "Camping" area, and have your wife grab a campsite in Camp Scholler. VAP and Scholler are pretty close to each other, you're right in the midst of things, you'll be able to take more stuff than you would in the Citabria, etc. etc... I've done both Scholler and GA Camping in the North 40 and while the North 40 is neat, I think that Scholler tends to be more lively in some ways, and there are fewer restrictions and more amenities (like the Camp Stores and such) in Scholler.

Someday, I think my ideal OSH experience will include a travel trailer on-site (Scholler) and flying in (GAP/VAP). My own shower/bathroom/bed and air conditioning plus having an airplane there... Perfect! :goofy:

13V is the plane I been flying at GCAC and it will be the plane I take up....if I fly up. Driving up and camping at Scholler is looking more like the plan. I'll keep tossing ideas around....the solution will present it's self in due time.

13V is the plane I been flying at GCAC and it will be the plane I take up....if I fly up. Driving up and camping at Scholler is looking more like the plan. I'll keep tossing ideas around....the solution will present it's self in due time.

Cool - At least three PoAers have flown that plane now! (You, me, and Tony). John N, do you fly 13V?

What I would suggest, if your wife is going to drive, is that you make a GAP sign instead of a GAC sign. In fact, if you're taking 13V or another plane that qualifies for Vintage ('72 or earlier this year, I think?), make a VAP sign.
Unless they've failed to update the online judging information, Vintage cut-off is still December 31, 1970. But N8313V should still make it (66).
We do check the registrations in Vintage. In fact, I'm working on the updated version of the database right now.

Frankly, if you're going to park in Vintage, you might as well camp in vintage. There are some convenient non-EAA lots right off the field in the Vintage area if you want to leave the car. We have a friend who drives up from Chicago every year to visit us who does that.

On the other hand, the facilities in Scholler were updated last year I think and Vintage is still on the 1960's version... :)

Back