Arrested for DWI 15 years ago

U

Unregistered

About 15 years ago when I was in college in Texas, I was arrested for and charged with a DWI. Through a plea agreement my lawyer arranged, I was never found guilty of it. I can't remember the exact term, but no finding was ever entered. (I seem to recall something about 1245 or 1285 not sure if those are correct terms or not)

Basically I had to do a year of probation, perform community service, and attend some alcohol awareness classes. Since this arrest 15 years ago, I have had no other run ins with the law, alcohol related or otherwise.

I have not yet started pilot training, and I am just curious what extra hoops I might have to jump through when I eventually apply for my medical. What, if any, paperwork should I have ready? I just want to make sure this isn't a deal breaker, and be as prepared as possible.

If it was just once, 15 years ago, with no prior alcohol-related issues and none arising since, it will have to be reported on the medical application, but it's not going to stop the show, just add some paperwork to your medical application. Bruce Chien will be along to tell you what documentation will be needed so you can go to the AME properly prepared.

Just for clarification, were you actually found not guilty of it, or did you plead down for a lesser alcohol related offense?

Just for clarification, were you actually found not guilty of it, or did you plead down for a lesser alcohol related offense?
Doesn't matter. The arrest must be reported on the next (or in this case, first) medical application regardless of disposition, and it's been that way since 2009.

Doesn't matter. The arrest must be reported on the next (or in this case, first) medical application regardless of disposition, and it's been that way since 2009.

Yes, but the level of paperwork required will differ between the two, correct?

This is the OP.

It was not plead to a lesser charge. I will have to find the paperwork to give you the official disposition. But basically, as long as I satisified the conditions (which I did), no finding of guilt was ever entered.

Kind of like differed adjudication (sp?), but I don't think that differed adjudication (sp?) is allowed on DWI cases.

If you have access to all the paperwork, that's a good thing. Start gathering all of it up that you can.

Better to have more than required than have to go back to the courts and try to dig all of it up.

I had a DUI and reported it. It was more recent than 15 years and the FAA request that I write a letter about the event, I did. They issued the medical with in a week. Was a non-event. Maybe every case is different but I wouldn't work myself up too much over it. Might not hurt to just have a letter written and ready to go detailing the event and explaining how you've seen the error of your college day ways :)

This is the OP.

It was not plead to a lesser charge. I will have to find the paperwork to give you the official disposition. But basically, as long as I satisified the conditions (which I did), no finding of guilt was ever entered.

Kind of like differed adjudication (sp?), but I don't think that differed adjudication (sp?) is allowed on DWI cases.

Probably ACD (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal) or something quite similar.

-Rich

Well, it was at least an arrest which resulted in attendance at an educational course. So you have to report it.

Bring a state Driver's license search, that is continuous back to Texas (If you need three states, get them all) and bring them with to prove it is your one and only. >10 years out, the AME will be able to issue with that proof that it IS your one and only.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back