Arrangements?

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
Do those of us who have put ourselves on the attendee list need to make any arrangements, or just show up?

Man you're gonna have a blast, Jay....

From a person that made one of the longest treks during the grand reopening ceremony :D

I'm planning on just bringing my sleeping bag and a tent, and camping next to the wing of the Archer. I suspect you (and Paul? Is he coming with?) can do the same.

Just show up. Bring your camping gear. We have some indoor shelter, but you'll still want sleeping bags and an air mattres or a foam pad if you plan to stay the night. We've got a shower (with hot water) for all to use at the west end of the airstrip as well.

Just show up. Bring your camping gear. We have some indoor shelter, but you'll still want sleeping bags and an air mattres or a foam pad if you plan to stay the night. We've got a shower (with hot water) for all to use at the west end of the airstrip as well.
We'll bring an air mattress and such, but need to be inside, with power somewhere nearby. (Trust me on this one. If my CPAP isn't running, nobody sleeps.)

We'll have power for you. Come on up.

We'll bring an air mattress and such, but need to be inside, with power somewhere nearby. (Trust me on this one. If my CPAP isn't running, nobody sleeps.)

Maybe we'll pull his power after he falls asleep so he'll keep the bears away. :D :D :D

Looking forward to the weekend!!

(and Paul? Is he coming with?)
Yes, he is... Did you grow up in Wisconsin? This little bit of language seems to be a hallmark of Wisconsin and Minnesota natives. (And Paul razzes me because I think it's weird.)

We'll be there, assuming nothing drastic goes wrong. Dunno if it'll be Friday or Saturday, though; that will depend on how my work schedule pans out.

Maybe we'll pull his power after he falls asleep so he'll keep the bears away. :D :D :D
It'd be quieter just to shoot them, or so I'm told.

Yes, he is... Did you grow up in Wisconsin? This little bit of language seems to be a hallmark of Wisconsin and Minnesota natives. (And Paul razzes me because I think it's weird.)

I grew up 150 feet in the air (16th floor) in a Manhattan apartment building for the first 18 years of my life, having not set foot in Wisconsin at all until about 3 years ago. But, I have this weird habit of picking up dialects from everywhere I go and from everyone I talk to. This way, nobody's sure where I'm from (and as you know, I definitely don't talk like a New Yorker). Most pepole aren't even sure how old I am.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend, Jay! :)

Originally Posted by Ted DuPuis
(and Paul? Is he coming with?)

"coming with" is pretty common among long-time Chicago residents, too.

Ted, the real test to see if you are a New Yawker is the following scenario: You decide to go to a movie and when you get to the theater, you "queue up" as the Brits would say. Are you standing in line, or are you standing on line?

-Skip

Skip, neither of those are real tests of being a New Yorker.

The REAL tests are as follows:

1) When on the subway, who do you make eye contact with?
a) The hot girl sitting across from you
b) The large, imposing black guy sitting across from you
c) The blind guy who plays the accordian on the 4 train at rush hour

2) When someone comes on the subway performing various acts with a farm animal that are probably illegal trying to get money you:
a) Give the person money, he must be desperate
b) Lecture the person on moral fiber
c) Change subway cars

Answers:

1) None of the above. You NEVER make eye contact with ANYONE on the subway. You either read your paper/book, keep your eyes closed, or look at the ads up near the ceiling. You do this regardless of what else is going on on the subway.

2) None of the above. See 1).

Can you tell I rode the subway to Brooklyn a lot?

Last edited:
Skip, neither of those are real tests of being a New Yorker.

The REAL tests are as follows:

LOL! In the spirit of the thread, I was referring to how you tell a New Yawker from just about everyone else by listening to their speech. Sadly, the good old (and very oft imitated) Brooklyn Accent is fast becoming extinct. But I have never heard anyone stand "on line" who wasn't a New Yorker.

When I lived in Brooklyn in the mid-1970s, what you say was definitely true. We used to rate the subway cars by a ZQ everytime we got on one. If the Zoo Quotient was too high, we got off and tried a different car/different train. The City was an ugly place back then. Aside from the crowds (!) the subways have mellowed a lot since then. In the four years since I moved back to the City, I have never had a ZQ high enough to require action.

Oh, and the kids are now break dancing in the 4 and 5 trains for money these days. Not at rush hour, too crowded. But generally you can find them at work between 4 and 5pm.

-Skip

When I was in high school (went to Brooklyn Tech) I rode the 4/5 to Nevins St. every day. Of course, this wasn't all that long ago ('98-'02). It's really not all too terrible, but I still try to avoid riding the subway in general. Mostly, it doesn't go where I need it to go, or it takes so long to get there that I may as well drive. Taking the 6 at 96th down to Grand Central and then the 7 out to Junction Blvd ends up being slower than just driving. Next time I'm in I'll look for the break dancing kids (without making eye contact, of course).

In explaining what a true New Yorker is to a friend of mine, I said "It's kinda like being Jason Bourne. You enter a room and you immediately know how many people are there, where the exits are, and who's most likey to try to kill you."

I rode the 4/5 to Nevins St. every day.

Almost home territory! I rented the garden floor in a brownstone on Pacific Street west of Nevins. I used the Nevins IRT Station (hah! That'll date me!) every day.

The very worst part of that neighborhood was the music store at Fulton/Nevins that played the barking dog version of Jingle Bells through an outside speaker continuously from Thanksgiving to New Years. :vomit::no:

-Skip

Last edited:
Back