Around the world

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
The recent posts about bomber planes and crews and cross country flying reminded of the fellow that taught my Dad to fly (and thereby influencing me to participate in this nefarious activity). I looked him up on the internet and found these articles from the local paper in the next town down the road from where I grew up.

http://winona-montgomery.com/people.htm#Charles_Hull

Mr. Hull would often come by the house to try to beat my Dad at Scrabble after a flight lesson. This was before I was in elementary school.

Odd what one remembers....

Thanks for sharing that story! I certainly enjoyed reading it! :)

Cool. His 25% fuel reserve made me think of that movie with Scott Bakula where he's ferrying an Air Truck(?) across the Pacific solo.

The plane comes from the factory with a capacity of 89 gallons. The extra tank will permit an additional 120 gallons, and that along with other space utilized for gas will give the plane a total capacity of 238 gallons, enough for 3100 miles with no reserve. The longest leg of the journey will be on the way home, from Hawaii to San Diego, a distance of 2450 miles. With a tailwind, this will give the plane three hours reserve.

Back