Around the new Chicago Bravo

RMCN172RG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Ray
It may be too soon to know but any insight would be appreciated.

I'm planning a flight from KPHN to KUNU on Sunday with a route around the South end of Lake Michigan.

Plan A is VFR with following then up the lakeshore under the Bravo at 2500' close to the shoreline. From reading the many posts it sounds like I can expect to be dropped as I head North past MDW. Then have try to reconnect again once I am clear of Chicago Approachs control.

If I stay out under the 3600' floor shelf I will be out of glide range from shore won't I?

Is that pretty much it for VFR East of Chicago?

Plan B is IFR. I've seen a lot of notes about routing you ot to KELSI. From the East will they shove me out into the middle of the Lake to remain well clear of Bravo or is it possible to get a routing right over ORD at a higher altitude?

You could climb up to 10.5k, turn off your radio and fly right over the top of KORD ala EdFred! ;)

I have not been up into the new airspace to see what all they are doing for routing now. But I do know that if you file IFR and put in the remarks "NO OVR WATER" you will not get a clearance out that way.

You could climb up to 10.5k, turn off your radio and fly right over the top of KORD ala EdFred! ;)

I have not been up into the new airspace to see what all they are doing for routing now. But I do know that if you file IFR and put in the remarks "NO OVR WATER" you will not get a clearance out that way.

I thought about going over but the winds will probably be against me. Now on the way back that or even a quick high flight direct over the Lake could work.

I'm planning a flight from KPHN to KUNU on Sunday with a route around the South end of Lake Michigan.

Plan A is VFR with following then up the lakeshore under the Bravo at 2500' close to the shoreline. From reading the many posts it sounds like I can expect to be dropped as I head North past MDW. Then have try to reconnect again once I am clear of Chicago Approachs control.

If I stay out under the 3600' floor shelf I will be out of glide range from shore won't I?

Is that pretty much it for VFR East of Chicago?

Plan B is IFR. I've seen a lot of notes about routing you ot to KELSI. From the East will they shove me out into the middle of the Lake to remain well clear of Bravo or is it possible to get a routing right over ORD at a higher altitude?

2000-2500 down the shoreline is good - If you're getting flight following coming from PHN, you'll be talking to South Bend Approach. Do not expect a handoff from SBN to Chicago Approach. When you get dropped, you can try Chicago Approach on 118.4. This frequency is not printed on the sectional or TAC charts. Do NOT expect a Bravo clearance - You will not get it. But if you're lucky, they will give you flight following down the lakeshore.

If you don't get FF on 118.4, you can try again on 120.55 when you get north of the Bahai Temple. That frequency is printed on the chart.

IFR, you'll never even get to talk to Chicago Approach and IME whoever does re-route you will offer you the over-water or the not-over-water option. The feet-dry option will go through KELSI and take you way the heck out of the way, but you will not get a route anywhere near Chicago unless you're at 15,500 feet or higher.

VFR down the lakeshore is pretty much always the best bet if you have to go anywhere near Chicago - But keep in mind that there WILL be other traffic because of that. This is why I'd really like to own a twin...

BTW Obama is supposed to come to town this weekend. The lakefront may not be an option at all. I have not seen the TFR NOTAM yet. But if it is like the others you should plan for a route around to the west.

BTW Obama is supposed to come to town this weekend. The lakefront may not be an option at all. I have not seen the TFR NOTAM yet. But if it is like the others you should plan for a route around to the west.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back