Arnav R-30 loran

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
any one know how to operate one?

WE have one installed in a 182 and no one knows how to operate it, it turns on OK, but after that we are lost.

HELP.

I've put some feelers out, Tom... will let you know what I find.

Thanks, when they were being used I couldn't afford one, and never learned the proceedure. now that I can afford one they are junk.

I have a student pilot that is going for his PPL practical on the 16th of may, this unit is installed in his aircraft and no one knows how to use it so they can teach him, so he can demonstrate to the DPE he can use the equipment aboard. He also has an Motorola T-12 ADF, which recieves great, but the needle won't point to the station. That is tagged out, as inop.

I really don't want to mess with the avionics because after he gets his PPL he will up grade the pannel.

The ADF and the ArNav R-30- Loran are going away, and he is keeping his 2 KX170-Bs and adding the audio pannel that he has wired to the 170s which are working well and adding a glide slope to one, and maybe a Bendix/King KMD-250 GPS & MFD

But right now I feel we should not mess with the radios until the PPL hurdle is over. and he gets a few more hours in the aircraft and gets a feel for what he wants.

Last edited:
Well, you could tag the LORAN inop and not worry about it. :D

But it is not inop. If the DPE turns it on and it works, ? The DPE is not a new to this, he has been doing the DPE thing long enought to know how to use it.

But he is not allowed to teach during the exam.

Silly question, but if it's in the plane but the operator's manual is not on-board, is it not officially inop anyway? Of course, you could just disconnect the antenna...

Silly question, but if it's in the plane but the operator's manual is not on-board, is it not officially inop anyway? Of course, you could just disconnect the antenna...

Which wire is the antenna wire, it has no coax runing to it?

Pull it out and make a CD holder out of the mounting tray.

Tom, Does it even have a Loran antenna. If not, I'd be happy to sell him one. I have one for $.25 and a cup of coffee!

I need some one who knows what is the next step is after turning it on, it may not work also. then my problems are over.

I just checked some pics of the interior of our Warrior and it looks like we have an Arnav 20. Schedule is pretty busy this week, so if I get a chance to get to the airport I will check to see if we have a manual for it in the plane. What timeframe do you have?

Tom, I have located a pilot with an ARNAV-21 manual. I have sent you his email address by private message. I hope that the -21 is close enough to the -30 to help out.

-Skip

Thanks I E-Mailed him, we'll see what happens.

I will also talk to the DPE, we may have panicked for nothing. I would just hate to see the student sent home with a pink slip for some thig stupid.

Never mind on the picture, I found one. I think this LORAN is basically a R50 without a database or at least a very limited database. There was also a R40 at one point which I think was similar and I found a listing for a R40 manual:

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=arnav

FWIW, I think the R30 is tray compatible with the R50.

any one know how to operate one?

WE have one installed in a 182 and no one knows how to operate it, it turns on OK, but after that we are lost.

HELP.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arna...wItem?hash=item190219161671&#ebayphotohosting

Can you take a picture? I've owned a R21 and a R50, seems like the R30 can't be too much different than one of those. The R21 had a keypad, the R50 had knobs for entry.

Last edited:
I played with this today, when you turn it on it takes about 5 minutes to acquire a signal but then askes for fuel usage
. I entered 11 and hit enter, it liked that, and asked for destination Lat - Long

I entered the lat/long for BLI and about 5 minutes it gave me a heading and then turned its self off.

I think, Tom, we can placard that "Inop" with a clear conscience, don't you?

Tom,

Attached is a PDF and reply sent to me by my contact at Tomlinson Avionics.

Here are some notes that might help you get started. I can get a Operation Manual. The price would be $ 79.98 plus shipping. If you would still like please feel free to contact me and I will get coming.

Thank you,
Brandy Morrow
Tomlinson Avionics of Texas
partsdept@tomlinsonavionics.com

Attachments

• RNAV MANUAL.pdf
    288.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the users manual, along with what is on the way from "Pilawt" we have it covered.

Thanks again folks, we are greatfull.

No c/b you can collar?
But it is not inop. If the DPE turns it on and it works, ? The DPE is not a new to this, he has been doing the DPE thing long enought to know how to use it.

But he is not allowed to teach during the exam.

Back