Armstrong's close call

You should have been tuned into aviation TV shows for years...

I've seen that video a few times.

:sosp:
That's been common knowledge since at least 1969. Almost every thing I've seen about the first landing has that video or sequential pictures of that crash in it. You almost have to go out of your way to not have seen that.

I'm not sure about the cause in the story though. A lot of stuff I've run across said the backup control system didn't fix the attitude control failure and it was later isolated to where the separate control systems converged at the hand controller...isolated systems supposedly failed at the common component.

Armstrong was superhumanly unflappable, which is part of why he was chosen to lead the first moon mission.

Armstrong was superhumanly unflappable, which is part of why he was chosen to lead the first moon mission.

The schedule wasn't for him to be on the first landing originally. A few changes for assorted unrelated reasons ended up with him at the controls. Any of the other crews could have ended up on the landing flight.

Read his book and others discussing him. Quiet, reserved, did his homework and somewhat introverted. He was meticulous and understood what he was doing and what was going on at all times.

That's been common knowledge since at least 1969. Almost every thing I've seen about the first landing has that video or sequential pictures of that crash in it. You almost have to go out of your way to not have seen that.

I'm not sure about the cause in the story though. A lot of stuff I've run across said the backup control system didn't fix the attitude control failure and it was later isolated to where the separate control systems converged at the hand controller...isolated systems supposedly failed at the common component.
I never saw/knew about it before, either. And, I've been around since before 1969.

Thanks for posting it.

Ah yes, the Flying Bedstead. That's some great video! I love the comments from Al Bean on that page.

I'm not sure about the cause in the story though.

I am "based" at EFD. You cant throw a rock without hitting three NASA guys in the T-Hangars.

The old hands I've talked to say that there was a RF teletry/datalink with directional antennae set up between EFD and JSC-MCC (Mission Control at Johnson Space Center) and the loss of control occurred precisely as the Lunar Lander Trainer crossed through this RF beam.

I have not been able to find this reference in public. I file it into the large file of things I've heard around there that are privately verified, yet publicly unverifiable.

There's a funny story that Tom Wolfe relates in The Right Stuff, about a flight with Chuck Yeager in the back seat of a T-33 and Armstrong in the front. It's been many years since I read the book, but it was something about Chuck's refusal to fly the T-33 out to check on the condition of a landing sight that Yeager knew from his years of experience was still soft and unsuitable for landing. So he agreed to ride backseat because he didn't want to be responsible for getting the airplane stuck in the mud, and Armstrong flew. Chuck kept telling Armstrong not to try to set it down, but he did anyway, and got the plane stuck in the mud.

Well, it was funny the way Wolfe wrote it anyhow.

There's a funny story that Tom Wolfe relates in The Right Stuff, about a flight with Chuck Yeager in the back seat of a T-33 and Armstrong in the front. It's been many years since I read the book, but it was something about Chuck's refusal to fly the T-33 out to check on the condition of a landing sight that Yeager knew from his years of experience was still soft and unsuitable for landing. So he agreed to ride backseat because he didn't want to be responsible for getting the airplane stuck in the mud, and Armstrong flew. Chuck kept telling Armstrong not to try to set it down, but he did anyway, and got the plane stuck in the mud.

I am pretty sure that the story was NOT in The Right Stuff. It was in one of Yeager's bios. It could be the first one he wrote or maybe the 2nd. But I seem to recall it in the first. I don't have access to the book to look it up.

I'm not sure about the cause in the story though..
He ran out of fuel basically.

[SIZE=-1]17 October 1968 Loss of attitude control caused Apollo LLRV Crash Program: Apollo. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Two NASA investigation boards had reported that loss of attitude control caused the May 6 accident that destroyed lunar landing research vehicle No. 1, NASA announced. Helium in propellant tanks had been depleted earlier than normal, dropping pressure needed to force hydrogen peroxide propellant to the attitude-control lift rockets and thrusters. Additional Details: Loss of attitude control caused Apollo LLRV Crash.
[/SIZE]

I am pretty sure that the story was NOT in The Right Stuff. It was in one of Yeager's bios. It could be the first one he wrote or maybe the 2nd. But I seem to recall it in the first. I don't have access to the book to look it up.

I remember it that way, too. Also, I think there's an interview floating around somewhere with Armstrong where he politely takes exception to Yeager's characterization of the incident.

Trapper John

Does Armstrong appear much in public anymore? He seems to be a bit of a recluse unlike Buzz.

he has always liked to keep to himself. he did get out and about with Buzz and Mike Collins for 40th anniversary celebrations and gave a few speeches which I enjoyed watching on NASA TV.

Yeah, but Neal Armstrong really did never say, "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky!" on the moon.

PLEASE! Don't quit your day job.

Does Armstrong appear much in public anymore? He seems to be a bit of a recluse unlike Buzz.
He is a very private man and always has been. He refuses all autographs because people started selling them. He had a big fight with his barber when the barber sold some of Armstrong's hair on the Internet.

He has never wanted the moon landing to be all about him. He wanted to be remembered more as 'America teaming together'.

He is a very private man and always has been. He refuses all autographs because people started selling them. He had a big fight with his barber when the barber sold some of Armstrong's hair on the Internet.

He has never wanted the moon landing to be all about him. He wanted to be remembered more as 'America teaming together'.

i wonder if he writes checks anymore. if i delivered his pizza i think i would buy.

You may be right. Having read both more than once, it's entirely possible I'm confusing the source. However, I'll try to find it and make sure. Thanks.

Back