Arlington Fly-in 2014

flytime

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Time
Anybody going to the Arlington fly-in this year? That's Arlington, WA...not TX or VA or IL or wherever else there is an Arlington. In case you've never been, it's a nice little fly-in and airshow with a little bit of everything - ultra-lights to warbirds. It sort of reminds me of a mini-Oshkosh, before it became so commercialized. Yes, you have to go WAY back for that! And yes I was there for Oshkosh #1 in 1970, though I was just 5 years old :D

Back to Arlington...I've been a few times before, but this will be my first year flying in as PIC. I'll be there in a 172 with my teenage son :)

Anybody going to the Arlington fly-in this year? That's Arlington, WA...not TX or VA or IL or wherever else there is an Arlington. In case you've never been, it's a nice little fly-in and airshow with a little bit of everything - ultra-lights to warbirds. It sort of reminds me of a mini-Oshkosh, before it became so commercialized. Yes, you have to go WAY back for that! And yes I was there for Oshkosh #1 in 1970, though I was just 5 years old :D

Back to Arlington...I've been a few times before, but this will be my first year flying in as PIC. I'll be there in a 172 with my teenage son :)
Weather permitting, I'll be flying in Saturday....

Ron Wanttaja

I used to go, didn't stay long because staying at Rosario on Orcas Island typically trumps standing in the sun without shade.

A few years ago the official Arlington Fly-in Web page did not identify the state. When I first heard of it, I tried to confirm the state by the web page and had to work myself down to the "Hotels" to see that it was in WA.

It reminds me of a restaurant that had on the door: "We've moved to our new location -- see ya there!" But didn't give a clue as to the new location, and they didn't see me there.

That's because those of us that care - know....:dunno:

A few years ago the official Arlington Fly-in Web page did not identify the state.

Yeah, that is part of the charm. Organized by a bunch if guys who like to fly. About 10 years ago I arrived to find that Bob Hoover was flying in the airshow. This had to have been his last year performing, and it was a hugely pleasant surprise, because they didn't promote it at all!

One of our canard hosts there, works at Boeing, mentioned to the guys flying the test 787 that they could practice the flyby they had to do in Paris at the big show. We got the first 787 flyby ever.

We also go out to Friday Harbor for dinner one night. Our favorite restaurant burned down so we wait 'til next year for them to rebuild.

Lots of great fly-out opportunities from Arlington. I will probably hit Roche Harbor after the show on Saturday for the $100 fish and chips.

The fly-in starts tomorrow. Whether forecast is for sunny skies and 0% chance of rain, temps in the upper 80's and a gentle breeze out of the north through the weekend. A 172 may not be the sexiest plane to bring to a fly-in, but at least I'll have shade under the wing :D

When is it? I spend a lot of time flying up there with my family, and will definitely fly in to Arlington with my pilot folks if I happen to be in town.

The fly-in starts tomorrow. Whether forecast is for sunny skies and 0% chance of rain, temps in the upper 80's and a gentle breeze out of the north through the weekend. A 172 may not be the sexiest plane to bring to a fly-in, but at least I'll have shade under the wing :D

Never mind my previous comment, I just saw that it starts tomorrow. Wish I could go, but I will have to tell my parents they will probably check it out. And a 172 is still a sexy airplane!

Never mind my previous comment, I just saw that it starts tomorrow. Wish I could go, but I will have to tell my parents they will probably check it out. And a 172 is still a sexy airplane!
Well all airplanes are sexy, yeah? But on the sexy scale I think there will be quite a few at Arlington that have my 40 year old 172 beat :rolleyes:

If you or the parents go, and you absolutely should if you can, be sure to check out the arrival NOTAM. It's posted on the fly-in website.

I might be flying in for the day on Friday. Looks like the TFR begins at 1p local and lasts until 4p local.
Besides printing out a parking sign is there anything else I need to know?
Is the temp tower on the CTAF 122.7?
When are the busy times for arrivals and departures usually?

I might be flying in for the day on Friday. Looks like the TFR begins at 1p local and lasts until 4p local.
Besides printing out a parking sign is there anything else I need to know?
Is the temp tower on the CTAF 122.7?
When are the busy times for arrivals and departures usually?

Actually the TFR is 2 to 5 PM PDT. And the temporary tower frequency is not the same as CTAF. 127.2 is the tower frequency. There is more info that you will need in the NOTAM. Here's a link: http://www.arlingtonflyin.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NOTAM-2014.pdf

Not sure what the traffic is like during the day on Friday as I have only ever flown in there on Friday evening. If you leave after the show expect heavy arrival traffic 5 to 6 PM and be especially careful to not to bump into ME :D

Thanks for posting that link. I had only found the official NOTAM and the link that you provided had all the other info I was looking for.

What color is your Chickenhawk so I know not to bump into you?:D

Here's a picture of my flying club's very uniquely painted 172M ;)

If you see me on the ground be sure to shout out a hello.

Attachments

• 515118396_25e5e1bc86_b.jpg
    515118396_25e5e1bc86_b.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 9
Well all airplanes are sexy, yeah? But on the sexy scale I think there will be quite a few at Arlington that have my 40 year old 172 beat :rolleyes:

That's for sure. I haven't been to Arlington for a long time, but I remember the flyby pattern being busy at all times except for the airshow, and there was everything flying by from Cessna 150s and 172 to some really slick homebuilts and P-51s and so on. The Cessnas looked so stodgy and slow after a few RVs or whatever zipped past and climbed at very respectable rates. Airplanes like the Harmon Rocket makes everything else look stodgy, too, with the thing taking off, establishing a 45° degree climb angle, and maintaining that angle just to prove it's not a speed-for-altitude zoom. Guy in one did that here the other day. I wish I had 400 hp in my Jodel...

I first went to Arlington in 1975, when it was really young and very personable. You slept under your airplane or in your truck on the field or whatever. Very open and permissive. The morning wakeup call was at about 6 AM and done with an old biplane with a slow-turning radial. Wonderful. And then the fly-in got big and commercialized and full of rules and restrictions and expensive, and my wife and I had a baby boy and she quit her job and the mortgage took precedence and I quit flying for awhile and we never did really get back into Arlington again. I work on airplanes all day now, and some of the magic has gone out of them, sad to say, though I still admire excellent craftsmanship in a plans-built machine and start drooling everywhere.

Dan

That's for sure. I haven't been to Arlington for a long time, but I remember the flyby pattern being busy at all times except for the airshow, and there was everything flying by from Cessna 150s and 172 to some really slick homebuilts and P-51s and so on. The Cessnas looked so stodgy and slow after a few RVs or whatever zipped past and climbed at very respectable rates. Airplanes like the Harmon Rocket makes everything else look stodgy, too, with the thing taking off, establishing a 45° degree climb angle, and maintaining that angle just to prove it's not a speed-for-altitude zoom. Guy in one did that here the other day. I wish I had 400 hp in my Jodel...

I first went to Arlington in 1975, when it was really young and very personable. You slept under your airplane or in your truck on the field or whatever. Very open and permissive. The morning wakeup call was at about 6 AM and done with an old biplane with a slow-turning radial. Wonderful. And then the fly-in got big and commercialized and full of rules and restrictions and expensive, and my wife and I had a baby boy and she quit her job and the mortgage took precedence and I quit flying for awhile and we never did really get back into Arlington again. I work on airplanes all day now, and some of the magic has gone out of them, sad to say, though I still admire excellent craftsmanship in a plans-built machine and start drooling everywhere.

Dan
I think the fly-by pattern is a thing of the past. They have ultra-lights buzzing away in a big circle, and coordinated arrivals for formation groups and some of the more interesting aircraft, but that is all. Going to Oshkosh many times back in the 70's I remember the fly-by pattern there being quite popular.

I think the fly-by pattern is a thing of the past. They have ultra-lights buzzing away in a big circle, and coordinated arrivals for formation groups and some of the more interesting aircraft, but that is all. Going to Oshkosh many times back in the 70's I remember the fly-by pattern there being quite popular.
I think what you have now are mostly "Manufacturer's Showcases", where vendors can demonstrate their airplanes and have someone on the PA announce their virtues. But I think type groups can still get the OK.

Mine and a couple other Fly Babies flew a special Fly-By at Arlington about ten years back; we had releases to sign and a fairly high minimum altitude, which went higher if we were intending any formation flight. I think this latter is relaxed in certain cases; the Blackjack Squadron (RVs) do fly formation at Arlington, not real low, but not real high, either.

Ron Wanttaja

I had nearly forgotten about the free-for-all fly-by pattern. Never actually saw it at Arlington, but Oshkosh used to have one. I think they scheduled it in blocks according to airspeed, and/or by aircraft category. I dunno. No spam cans though. I was just a kid sitting in the grass watching the planes go around-and-around :)

I had nearly forgotten about the free-for-all fly-by pattern. Never actually saw it at Arlington, but Oshkosh used to have one. I think they scheduled it in blocks according to airspeed, and/or by aircraft category. I dunno. No spam cans though. I was just a kid sitting in the grass watching the planes go around-and-around :)

In my day the fast ones passed the slow ones right in front of everybody. The slow ones were 172s and 182s and Cherokees. The fast ones were mostly homebuilts or warbirds.

Dan

Back