"Arizona Strip" Airstrip Trailheads need pilot's help NOW.

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
RE: "Arizona Strip" Airstrip Trailheads need pilot's help NOW.

Thanks a lot to all you pilots that have some vision and take a minute to help GA with this before Mar. 17th!

Even a one-liner comment against closures can help these
AIRSTRIP TRAILHEADS and others in our own states as well, addressed to:

Arizona_Strip@blm.gov

An issues background letter and list of points in pilot's favor follows below and makes good reading for ALL airport users.
The outcomes of these battles ultimately affects all of us GA pilots. We really need a unified, nationwide response to this common threat as the individual state organizations are simply not strong enough.

Almost all of us has dreamed of flying into a picturesque backcountry airstrip ourselves or of having some other pilot fly us in or show us the procedures. So let's see if we can keep our unique national treasures so that they'll be there for us pilots when we're ready to see them.

Thanks Again,

Dave Krall CFII, pres. MountainFlyingVideos.com

UBCP Officers <mailer@utahbackcountrypilots.org> wrote:
To: Dave Krall <pilotdjk@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:18:49 GMT
Subject: Arizona Strip airstrips need our help.

UBCP Members,

As you may know, the back country landing strips in what is commonly called the "Arizona Strip" are in jeopardy of being closed. This area is now part of the Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument. This new National Monument was created in January, 2000 by Presidential Proclamation and is to be managed jointly by the National Park Service and the BLM.

The Draft Environmental Impact Statement that will become the management plan for the Parashant Monument has been released. Concerning aviation, the EIS is recommending that no back country landing strips be allowed. The EIS also recommends that existing back country strips within the monument be destroyed. This will include Imlay, Pakoon, and Grand Gulch.

UBCP member Hal Hilburn in St. George has spent many hours researching the draft EIS. Hal has provided an extensive list of arguments as to why aviation is not harmful and is a legitimate activity in the monument. We have included Hal's list below.

The comment period for the EIS ends on 17 Mar. 2006. The BLM and NPS will review all public comments before implementing a final management plan. We encourage all pilots who are interested in preserving these historic landing strips to comment either via letter or e-mail.

Comments should be addressed to:

Planning Team, Arizona Strip District
345 East Riverside Drive
St. George, UT 84790
E-Mail comments to: Arizona_Strip@blm.gov FAX comments to: (435)688-3388

We owe Hal a big thanks for all of the time he has spent researching the new monument. Hal truly loves these landing strips more than anyone we know. Below is Hal's report and points that you may consider when commenting on the EIS:

1. Pilots are legitimate users of public lands just like hikers, jeepers, and horseman.

2. Airplanes have the least impact of any vehicle for visiting public lands. They have no driven wheels and they never leave the “trail”.

3. Airstrips should be considered as internal “Trailheads” where the pilot users access hiking, camping, exploring, viewing nature, studying geology, archeology, history and culture among other things. (Consider the airstrips as the trail heads for back country aviation destinations

4. Preserve and protect the airstrips just like any other established trail head.

5. Back country aviators are the prime example of Camping “ Leave No Trace”

6. Airstrips do not erode like roads. They are essentially grassy spots that are level and have similar vegetative cover to the surrounding land. They are invisible from near view and are no more apparent than a road. There are 1582 miles of roads included in the preferred alternative and open roads are adjacent to all of the airstrips.

7. Aircraft are not in the same class and category as OHV, they are only mechanized on the ground, not motorized.

8. Most of the airstrips with recreational value have been in existence longer than most of the roads and certainly longer that features used by most other current forms of recreation. Some of the airstrip sites in the Arizona Strip are so old and historic, that it is amazing that they weren’t mentioned in the DEIS as sensitive Sites. The Grand Gulch Mine is a perfect example. Historical documents show that mine rails were flown to the Copper Mountain Mine strip from the old Grand Gulch Mine Strip in the 1940’s.

9. Hundreds of airstrips exist on lands containing “wilderness character” in both designated and undesignated wilderness areas, National Parks and Monuments. 19 airstrips were included in the Central Idaho Wilderness Act of 1984 after they had been in use as long 25 years, and now, 22 years later, they show that they have had no adverse affect on the lands and ecosystems that they occupy.

10. Monument managers might be preparing for a 10% population growth per year in the St. George by 2025 with the commensurate rise in use of the monument, but General Aviation is only projected to grow by 3.4% per year in the St. George area and most of this growth is due to aircraft that would never visit the Monument (Business aircraft). Therefore back country airstrip users are not BLM’s problem user group.

11. Pilots who visit these “Trailheads” by small plane are afforded a sense of accomplishment and well-being in their lives that reflects positively on the households and communities.

12. Pilots, as a user group of public lands, are the most responsible, and the most regulated of any user group. They personally undergo physicals and their aircraft have yearly maintenance inspections. They are also subject to regular flight tests and reviews. Few flyers would ever consider including alcohol along with their outings to the back country, while other user groups include alcohol as a matter of course.

13. Airplanes of all categories will be present over the monument at all times from trans-continental flights to small private airplanes traveling between Salt Lake and Phoenix or Las Vegas to Albuquerque.
Backcountry pilots are just asking for a place to stop and camp.

14. Unlike all other types of motorized visitor, the backcountry airstrip visitor is not there to fly. We shut off our engines during our stay, unlike other visitors who are allowed to access the exact same piece of ground by road, and whose recreation centers around the use of their vehicles. Over flights of the Monument by aircraft are not addressed in the DEIS, but recreational opportunities for pilots while at the airstrip when the engine is off, are not currently allowed in the preferred alternative.

15. I quote from the BLM, “Recreation opportunities abound that produce a variety of personal, familial, community, economic, and environmental benefits from visitors enjoying outdoor experiences while engaged in activities such as hiking, biking, backpacking, camping, sight-seeing, driving for pleasure, hunting, wildlife viewing, geo-caching, and OHV driving on designated routes.” Flying as a means of conveyance to do these activities is just as legitimate as any other.

16. Backcountry airstrips take almost no money to maintain in the rustic condition desired by most city-stressed pilots seeking an opportunity to experience adventure, a sense of discovery, and a retreat from the pressures of modern life. With the millions of dollars spent on infrastructure for other means of conveyance within the Monument, it seems like an unfair situation for the BLM to ignore one of the Monuments first and most historic means of travelsmall airplanes.

17. No accumulative effects occur from aircraft landing and camping on surrounding vegetation, animal life on public resources.

18. Include airstrip in the Recreational Management Zones already established to near by roads.

19. The airstrips offer remote secure access to primitive activities.

20. Airstrips ensure safety zones to commuting aircraft traveling along the north boundary of the Grand Canyon.

21. Airstrips are often used a search and rescue hubs for health and safety issues.

22. Arriving and departing aircraft all have VHF Radios to communicate emergency needs, such as fire, search, and rescue operation.

23. Arriving aircraft serve non-commercial uses

24. Aircraft have the option of over flight prior to use and landing, thus establishing a safe choice of landing strip location and conditions.

25. The grooming and tools used in maintaining airstrips coincided with current BLM Land management practices.

26. Propose a list of airstrips to be placed on the register of historic places to insure they will be kept and managed in the their current available conditions.

27. Aviation access offer a overhead security system to proved fast and accurate information to and from some very remote area in the need of an emergency

28. The BLM recreational system recognizes the draw to some risk in adventure, such as rock climbing, repelling, exploring, gathering of ecological, scientific information, and historical data.

29. The issue of public liability in not supported... the BLM does not require ANY Assurances that vehicle operation on public lands are safe, license, or insured. All aircraft in operation are registered, licensed, and insured. There have been NO cases of the public being sued because of a pilot having a mishap on the public property....

30. The government also uses aircraft in and around the vicinity of the current airstrip scattered around the Arizona Strip Region.

31. Aircraft engines are shut down after landing and do not return to service until a departure is attempted. No noise or power source is emitted from an aircraft parked on the ground.

32. The BLM does not currently have a campaign ongoing to remove parking areas, pull outs, and camping location within the Arizona Strip Desert System. Why would they now launch a effort to do so against aviation needs?

33. Aviation is an irrefutable means of transportation.

34. No budget funds are required to maintain these desert strips in a safe condition. Prior adopt a highway programs are similar to the of the Back Country Aviation Group maintaining the airstrips.

ubcp_logo140.gif
[FONT=arial, helvetica]You have received this e-mail because
you are a member of the
Utah Back County Pilots Association.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Here's a copy of one of the short letters being sent in to Arizona_Strip@blm.gov Feel free to paraphrase.

To the BLM Planning Team:

We are in continued opposition to your proposed closure of these airstrip trailheads (airports) such as Grand Gulch, Pakoon Springs, and Copper Mt. Mine. We need these access points for our outdoor activities just like any other user group such as automobiles, motorcycles, boats or snow mobiles and have almost zero impact compared to other user groups.

Please quit discriminating against aircraft operators as a user group.

Sincerely,

Dave Krall CFII, Orion Air Ground Videos LLC

Here's another letter, moredetailed than most, that just came in from a pilot in Alaska:

345 East Riverside Drive
St. George, UT 84790
March 12, 2006

SUBJECT: Arizona Strip Airplane Landing Strips

I am commenting on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement that will become the management plan for the Parashant Monument in the Arizona Strip. I am appalled that the draft EIS is recommending that back country airstrips be closed and physically removed from the Monument. Accessing the Monument by landing at remote airstrips fits in well with the varied opportunities allowed for visitors enjoying outdoor experiences. These activities include hiking, biking, backpacking, camping, sight-seeing, driving for pleasure, hunting, wildlife viewing and off-road vehicle driving on designated routes. Why would airplanes not be allowed to access the airstrips that are already present? Pilots do not have the mind set of off-road vehicle users that normally cause a wide range of problems from plant destruction and rutting of the soil to wildlife disturbance and harassment. The small number of pilots and passengers accessing the Monument would have very minor or negligible impacts on the environment. Having the opportunity to fly into and land on airstrips in the Monument is a very unique and rewarding experience that is cherished by operators of small fixed-wing aircraft.

A major reason for not closing and destroying the airstrips that are already present in the Monument is that they serve as emergency airstrips for pilots flying cross country flights through the area. As a pilot, you never know when a weather or mechanical problem requires a landing. Having known airstrips along the way makes cross country flights many times safer than not having them. Theoretically, closing airstrips and removing them from use could result in a lawsuit that the U.S. Government would be liable for removing the safety net of the airstrips. This would especially be the case if a pilot had to make a force landing into a rough area near one of the removed airstrips and was seriously injured.

Pilots in many areas in Alaska can choose to land not only on back country landing strips but also anywhere that it is safe to land. Landing in areas where no airplane has ever landed before is challenging and rewarding and is the main reason why so many recreational pilots have short field performance aircraft such as Piper Super Cubs. There is no sound reason why the Monument can not accommodate the small number of pilots that would enjoy the rare opportunity to access these lands for recreational purposes. The pilots are not asking for landing privileges anywhere in the Monument but only at a few designated airstrips that are already present. These landing strips have been used for many years in the past and should continue to be used into the future.

Thanks for the info Dave. I had not heard about that before. I will post them at the Havasu FBOs.

Michael said:
Thanks for the info Dave. I had not heard about that before. I will post them at the Havasu FBOs.

Thanks Michael,

Hopfully others will join in as well before the March 17 deadline.

Here's another great, more detailed letter (I often prefer just a few lines myself) from a WA state pilot that just came in:

March 9, 2006

345 East Riverside Drive
St. George, UT 84790

As a pilot and a frequent traveler to the Las Vegas area, I often rent an aircraft for flights in the Grand Canyon area. The availability of back-country airstrips in this region is not only important for safety, but allows access to recreation without the creation of roads or trails. Aircraft access is extremely low impact. Small airplanes carry few passengers, minimal equipment, and when not in use to travel to and from the location, do not make any noise that impacts other visitors' experience. Aircraft also allow persons with limited mobility the opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty of our country that would not normally be available to them.

Here in Eastern Washington and North Idaho the availability of remote airstrips is an incredible asset and provide access to our public lands with minimal disruption to the environment. Trails for hikers and horseman are often trampled for miles and littered with human and animal waste. Aircraft provide access to pristine recreation areas without the need for interim camping areas and impact to delicate flora and fauna.

While there are those who wish to restrict access to public lands to only those who can walk or ride, the mission of the National Park Serivce and BLM should be access to all.

Please do not restrict access to this area via aircraft.

Thank you for this opportunity to comment on this issue.

Sincerely,

Its funny the way they (Arizona) looks at things out here. they setup plenty of off road trails, for public use, but step off the trail on BLM land and you got a problem. there are signs everywhere posted : each step erases millions of years of growth" however, they build a freakin walkway and pound the signs into that same ground... who knows what they are thinking.
I believe in preseving the land as well to a point. 100 years ago there was noone policing the land. so i dont see why a footprint now is going to make a difference.

thanks for posting Dave - I'll shoot something off tomorrow, which is the deadline! hope everyone here is reading this too...

Michael said:
Its funny the way they (Arizona) looks at things out here. they setup plenty of off road trails, for public use, but step off the trail on BLM land and you got a problem. there are signs everywhere posted : each step erases millions of years of growth" however, they build a freakin walkway and pound the signs into that same ground... who knows what they are thinking.
I believe in preseving the land as well to a point. 100 years ago there was noone policing the land. so i dont see why a footprint now is going to make a difference.

I think they just use the footprint dialog as a front since the pilot's footprint is really the least environmentally and the least legal liability of all user groups. In the past in these battles with both the BLM and the Forest Service the real motive was more about them wanting control. Our successes in the past (such as the Big Creek Four airstrip trailheads remaining available to ALL pilots) focused on simple solutions allowing pilots the minimally impacting uses we want while preserving the controlling agency's authority and control.

Last edited:
woodstock said:
thanks for posting Dave - I'll shoot something off tomorrow, which is the deadline! hope everyone here is reading this too...

Thank you very much Elizabeth.

One reason behind the past successes in preventing permanent airstrip closures was to get pilot input and letters on a national level. A lot of pilots don't see or care about how this BLM ruling will affect airfields all over the USA. They erroneously figure, if it isn't near me or some airstrip I see myself using in the very near future, then it's continued availability doesn't concern me as a pilot/user.

These types of Airstrip Trailheads are so unique that they are NATIONAL TREASURES for everyone and must be fought for by us pilots with that concept in mind and so communicated to the BLM as such.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Thank you very much Elizabeth.

One reason behind the past successes in preventing permanent airstrip closures was to get pilot input and letters on a national level. A lot of pilots don't see or care about how this BLM ruling will affect airfields all over the USA. They erroneously figure, if it isn't near me or some airstrip I see myself using in the very near future, then it's continued availability doesn't concern me as a pilot/user.

These types of Airstrip Trailheads are so unique that they are NATIONAL TREASURES for everyone and must be fought for by us pilots with that concept in mind and so communicated to the BLM as such.

I sent em an e-mail, and basically, they told me "Someone got the story wrong" There is no plan or intent of closing down any strips.

We aren't closing the back country airstrips on the Arizona Strip.
False
information has been sent out by numerous pilots associations. If
you
look at the Draft EIS out for review, you will see this is not true.
Find it at http://www.blm.gov/az/LUP/strip/reports.htm

An "authorized" airstrip means that it is authorized by the BLM under a
legal instrument such as a right-of-way, permit, or lease. They are
managed under the BLM's Lands and Realy program. Because we were
silent
in the Arizona Strip Draft Plan/DEIS on the back country airstrips,
some
pilots assumed that we were closing them. Closing the back country
airstrips was never our intent. We know that we will need to
re-examine
this issue for the Final EIS and we will do so. There will probably
be a
decision in the Final EIS that says they will not be closed.

Thanks for your interest.

Diana Hawks, Planning Coordinator
Arizona Strip BLM
345 East Riverside Drive
St. George, UT 84790
(435) 688-3266 FAX (435) 688-3388

Henning said:
I sent em an e-mail, and basically, they told me "Someone got the story wrong" There is no plan or intent of closing down any strips.

Thanks for checking it out.

Would this be like the ACTUAL closures of the Ming Bar Airstrip Trailhead in Montana (still closed, and permanently, the BLM says) and the BLM's closure of the Rodgersburg Airstrip Trailhead (after years of time and laboriously, we got it reopened for limited use) in Washington State?

Although this may be true, and I certainly hope it is, past and present experience is highly indicative a possible Trojan Horse. The concept she uses, "authorized by the BLM" leaves much room for problems for pilots.

Last edited:
=Henning] I sent em an e-mail, and basically, they told me "Someone got the story wrong" There is no plan or intent of closing down any strips.

It is not quite as simple as the BLM's Ms. Hawks would have you believe.
"Recreational" and "authorized" are key descriptive words here.

See below: "Special Status Species Habitat Areas": "Unauthorized landing strips and dump sites will be given the highest priority for removal clean up actions" (italics are mine).

Subject:UBCP Arizona Strip Clarification

Utah Back Country Pilots Members,

Earlier in the week, we sent an e-mail asking UBCP members to respond to the Draft Environmental Impact Statement concerning recreational backcountry landing strips in the Parashaunt National Monument / Arizona Strip. In that note, we indicated that Imlay and Pakoon were slated for closure. We have since learned that this is not the case. Both of these landing strips are "authorized" in the Draft EIS.

Imlay and Pakoon Well are not considered recreational landing strips. Both have been used as a BLM fire base and for other government duties. Pakoon Well has BLM housing and other government buildings on the site.

The prime recreational landing strips are:
Grand Gulch, Pakoon Springs, and CopperMt. Mine.

The DEIS is silent on the continued use of these recreational landing strips. The DEIS indicates the following in lands within the Monument called "Special Status Species Habitat Areas": "Unauthorized landing strips and dump sites will be given the highest priority for removal clean up actions" (italics are mine). We are not sure if any of the above listed recreational landing strips fall into these special areas, but regardless, the continued authorized use of what we consider to be valuable backcountry landing strips are not addressed in the EIS. This indicates to us that these strips will be closed under this alternative.

We apologize for the mis-information concerning Imlay and Pakoon Well. For those who may have sent letters specifically mentioning these landing strips, we are contacting the Monument managers and explaining that the error is ours. We still encourage you to write or e-mail the BLM and urge them to include aviation and the recreational backcountry landing strips, listed above, as an approved activity in the management plan.

Steve Durtschi,
Pres. UBCP

ubcp_logo140.gif
[FONT=arial, helvetica]You have received this e-mail because
you are a member of the
Utah Back County Pilots Association.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back