Arizona Mid-Air : Everyone ok

Glad all are OK...:yesnod::yesnod:..

Now.... That Cherokee is gonna have a 14,500 $$$ annual bill too.:eek:;)

Wow. Some lucky folks. The one must have been doing steep turns to get its wing tip embedded into the wing of the other at that angle.

I met her while she was working. Glad everyone is ok. Scary pictures.

Wow amazing it stayed together. I wonder how a glass plane like diamond,cirrus,lancair would have held up? Don't start bashing them!

Apparently the two planes involved were a Cherokee and a PA28. I wonder if someone should tell Fox that they are the same plane....

Honestly, I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often in the PHX area. Both the North and South practice areas are complete clusters. Glad everyone made out ok.

Apparently the two planes involved were a Cherokee and a PA28. I wonder if someone should tell Fox that they are the same plane....
I thought the same thing. Perhaps they were just trying to be fair and balanced.
Speaking of balance, it's amazing and obviously fortunate that the airplane flew with a third of one wing missing. I can only hope that my 150's wings are that strong.

A PA28 may or may not be a Cherokee. Piper must have set some kind of a record for packing the most model variations into a single designation. Aren't Warriors, Archers, Arrows, and Dakotas also PA28s?

I was on takeoff roll with my CFII and another CFI who was just observing when we heard the emergency unfold on the radio. The airplane in the "PA28" with half the wing gone is an airplane that belonged to my school with the head guy doing the stage check. Saw the CFII yesterday and he seemed "off" but when I was headed out to the practice area he was also, solo. I was really happy to see him flying again so soon, in the same area especially. Gotta get back on the horse I suppose, especially when you have his job title. He's such a great CFI and pilot.

I was on takeoff roll with my CFII and another CFI who was just observing when we heard the emergency unfold on the radio. The airplane in the "PA28" with half the wing gone is an airplane that belonged to my school with the head guy doing the stage check. Saw the CFII yesterday and he seemed "off" but when I was headed out to the practice area he was also, solo. I was really happy to see him flying again so soon, in the same area especially. Gotta get back on the horse I suppose, especially when you have his job title. He's such a great CFI and pilot.

The gal who was getting the phase check says she'll be up flying tomorrow, too.

Yep, Gabby flew today. Said she went over the collision point and then over the reporting point where the Mayday occurred. Back on the horse. Good for her.

I joked with her that she's now the safest person to fly with... Not too many folks can say they've had TWO mid-airs. Statistics are against it. :)

I joked with her that she's now the safest person to fly with... Not too many folks can say they've had TWO mid-airs. Statistics are against it. :)

The first one was when?

The first one was when?
This was the first one. That's Nate's point, that it's unlikely to recur.

Kind of like the theory behind always carring a bomb with you on a flight, because what are the chances tha there will be two bombs on a plane?

Of course, Gabby is friends with Greg Brown (though maybe only Internet friends). This is at least the second time that one of his acquaintances flying out of the Phoenix area has had a midair. Luckily, in BOTH situations, everyone walked away safe!

This was the first one. That's Nate's point, that it's unlikely to recur.

Kind of like the theory behind always carring a bomb with you on a flight, because what are the chances tha there will be two bombs on a plane?

Of course, Gabby is friends with Greg Brown (though maybe only Internet friends). This is at least the second time that one of his acquaintances flying out of the Phoenix area has had a midair. Luckily, in BOTH situations, everyone walked away safe!

Thanks, I understand now.

This is at least the second time that one of his acquaintances flying out of the Phoenix area has had a midair. Luckily, in BOTH situations, everyone walked away safe!

There have been 13 midairs in 10 years in Phoenix. I was talking to a friend of mine that I know from up in the Midwest. He used to instruct down here and was telling me about how difficult instrument training can be down here because of all the traffic and the "stacking" at the VOR's. It's certainly a risk flying down here, but I also feel like it's better training (under a B) than I'd probably get if I were to go back to South Dakota. :dunno:

There have been 13 midairs in 10 years in Phoenix. I was talking to a friend of mine that I know from up in the Midwest. He used to instruct down here and was telling me about how difficult instrument training can be down here because of all the traffic and the "stacking" at the VOR's. It's certainly a risk flying down here, but I also feel like it's better training (under a B) than I'd probably get if I were to go back to South Dakota. :dunno:
I've flown out of DVT a couple of times. I realize now that I wasn't cognizant of the real danger there. It's not the hill on approach; it's the other pilots!

Last edited:
Scary, bad deal, pretty sure if that happened in the great midwest I'd be putting the thing down into the first field I saw. Screw the airport.

Scary, bad deal, pretty sure if that happened in the great midwest I'd be putting the thing down into the first field I saw. Screw the airport.

That was my thought as well! I'm not going any further than I have to with that much structural wing damage!

You gotta remember though - around Phoenix, there's not a lot of safe landing areas that aren't paved with numbers at the end. You're picking either a bluff, a mesa, a canyon or a forest of cactus.

Or a mountain.

That was my thought as well! I'm not going any further than I have to with that much structural wing damage!

The "airport" Gila River Memorial is actually a closed airport (unmaintained, no markings, indian reservation closed) about 4 miles away from KCHD. Not only was it closer to the accident than KCHD, you don't have to go over a populated area to get there.

This ^ - And I think it's safe to say, you're not saving anything by landing at an airport when the planes are likely totaled anyway. (With the exception of immediate attention, your location is a known value and rescue/fire are on field or in route. )

Even the immediate landing in a field would be a scary 1-5 mins just hoping that nothing breaks during the decent..

Thinking out loud, what would be the least stress on the airframe after that type of incident? MCA or Best glide? Low power or Cruise power for vibration? What combination of the two? Thoughts from those a whole lot more experienced than I!

MCA or Best glide?

How about whatever speed keeps that side of the airplane up to stay level. Slowing down would be the last thing on my mind since too much lift has been lost on that side and if the plane rolls into that wing, it likely won't be coming up again.

Screw the airport and being socially polite. I'm thinking minimal additional stress on the structure while maintaining best controllability to the first and nearest place it can be put down..then no flaring, just fly it onto the ground.

I've town out of DVT a couple of times. I realize now that I wasn't cognizant of the real danger there. It's not the hill on approach; it's the other pilots!

It's nutty down there for sure. I went into KGEU. Safer to tuck in next to the somewhat more predictable military students than the other ones. ;)

Back