Arizona airpark homes

Correct me if wrong. I think a cotton farmer, rich, had a dream years back and developed stellar from very little to a high end wealthy airstrip-nice home complex. Homes start high. A mill or more is not unusual.

Here's the house at Stellar we'd planned to look at:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4456-W-Rickenbacker-Way-Chandler-AZ-85226/54582723_zpid/

And then there's this, which is just jaw-dropping. I'd never get him out of this hangar!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4304-W-Mercury-Way-Chandler-AZ-85226/8166409_zpid/

Correct me if wrong. I think a cotton farmer, rich, had a dream years back and developed stellar from very little to a high end wealthy airstrip-nice home complex. Homes start high. A mill or more is not unusual.
Million bucks may very well be the price nowadays. But, back when I was a kid they weren't anything that special. Just a few houses on the west side and some industrial stuff on the east. Pretty much all of that area was coton and alfalfa fields back in the early 70s and earlier. I believe it was first developed around 1970.

It always amuses me that the planes that are at the covered tiedowns are nicer than most hangared planes elsewhere.

Sr22
Sr22
Columbia 400
Columbia 400
Mooney
Bonanza
Sr 20
Sr22
Bonanza

And the occasional piper.

Desert wind and sand will rip your plane up if on a tie-down.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for this pointer. I had no idea there was an airpark 12 miles outside of Carson City.

You're right about the temps, very moderate. Private hangar, check. Near a population center, check. Stick-built housing, check. Enough stuff to keep the non-pilot spouse happy, check. And Minden's only a half-hour away -- I hear there's great soaring there.

I fly out of KCXP (Carson), and have landed at Dayton many times. The glider port is in KMEV, Minden which is 5 minutes over the hill from Dayton by air, about 20mi by car.

Dayton also has a PGA Q-school course, very nice. And yes, Dayton is 10 minutes from Carson which has Costco, Harbor Freight, Walmart and a ton of good places to eat...

Did I mention Lake Tahoe is 10 minutes by air from Dayton? And Reno 20 mins by air from Dayton?

It's a kind of flyers/golfers paradise IMHO.

Last edited:
I wish there was a airpark north of the rim. Such a nice area up there, I can't wait to move back, once I get a career job I can live up there with.

I wish there was a airpark north of the rim. Such a nice area up there, I can't wait to move back, once I get a career job I can live up there with.

The rim? The Grand Canyon? Take a look at St George....Hurricane, UT

UT47 Grassy Meadows

Somehow stellar airpark and fluffy the wonder cat seem not to jibe but one never knows. The person I know keeps his airplanes there but lives in chandler. Said the home prices there were absurd.

Yes, I have a hanger there. Large t is 540 small is about 440 iirc.

Hello all,

My pilot/spouse and I will be in Arizona next month looking at homes at these airparks:

Skyranch at Carefree
Stellar (Chandler)
Pegasus (Queen Creek)

I would love any insider info, history, news, rumors, even scurrilous gossip...

This isn't our first rodeo. We looked at other airparks last year and found it was difficult to get anything like the inside scoop. It seemed likely tensions were brewing but no one would talk or answer email.

We are early-60s. I'm looking to get us out of our high-taxation state. The only way the spouse will consent to leave is if I find a suitable airpark home, so any help will be much appreciated!

I would keep flying right over AZ with it's State income tax, registration fees, and cost of living. Not to mention the heat.

You better have enough scratch to own a place in Payson or Flag for the summer if you're in the valley. And vice versa. Or fly somewhere else.

Low taxes and Arizona don't belong in the same sentence with each other. :nonod:

I would keep flying right over AZ with it's State income tax, registration fees, and cost of living. Not to mention the heat.

You better have enough scratch to own a place in Payson or Flag for the summer if you're in the valley. And vice versa. Or fly somewhere else.

Low taxes and Arizona don't belong in the same sentence with each other. :nonod:

Perhaps not, but they're still a heck of a lot lower than CA, IL, or NY.

Perhaps not, but they're still a heck of a lot lower than CA, IL, or NY.

If you have the dough to fly in those States, AZ should be a breeze comparably I would agree.

I like my podunk state here.

I see the prices you guys are paying up North, and it gives me the chills. :redface:

It always amuses me that the planes that are at the covered tiedowns are nicer than most hangared planes elsewhere.

Sr22
Sr22
Columbia 400
Columbia 400
Mooney
Bonanza
Sr 20
Sr22
Bonanza

And the occasional piper.

Right? the "city shades" come to mind.

My little Lane is always hangared.. and she's just a 30+ year old Skylane.

If you have the dough to fly in those States, AZ should be a breeze comparably I would agree.

I like my podunk state here.

I see the prices you guys are paying up North, and it gives me the chills. :redface:

Cost of living is indeed cheaper in Texas and the people are a bit friendlier, but AZ is a MUCH prettier state than Texas.

UT47 Grassy Meadows

We have some really close friends who retired and built a house in that area. We went out to visit them once and it is indeed absolutely beautiful.

They lasted a year, then sold their house, and moved back to the MidWest. They weren't the right religion to live in St. George and were shunned from day one. Utes love it when you visit and spend your money there...but move there?...they don't like that so much. Don't plan on having many if any friends.

I hear Boise is a similar situation but don't know that for a fact. I do know that Boise is the skinhead capital of the nation...worse than the MO/AR Ozarks even. And it's hard to top the MO/AR Ozarks!

Right? the "city shades" come to mind.

My little Lane is always hangared.. and she's just a 30+ year old Skylane.

The hangars contain the Citation Mustangs, PC12s, TBMs and Meridians.

...and I'm not kidding either.

Welcome to PoA.

If you are interested in going further east, you could be my neighbor at Airman Acres, Collinsville, Oklahoma.

UT47 Grassy Meadows

Mogollon, North of Sedona, where it doesn't get stupid hot in the summer and you have a real winter. Flagstaff area.

Cost of living is indeed cheaper in Texas and the people are a bit friendlier, but AZ is a MUCH prettier state than Texas.

Can't argue the beauty point.

We lived in Mesa for a few years. I would see these really dirty weird looking folks at stores in their ragged out trucks and cars stocking up on things I guess. The locals called them 'desert rats' because they lived out in the desert somewhere like we would call it camping all the time.

AZ is a schizophrenic type State in a way. You've got the deep Western roots with it's cowboy's and Indians, and then you've got the granola people and cosmo high fashion folks in Scottsdale. Plus a massive flock of snowbirds in the Winter. We used to joke that everybody is from somewhere else in AZ. :redface:

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

Our plane is at KPAO. Just about everything looks inexpensive to the east of here. :)

Back