Arinc / Unicom

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
What's the difference? I've seen some FBOs list a UNICOM, some an ARINC, some both.

I'm not really sure what ARINC is anyway - I've looked it up in the AIM, but I'd like a 'real world' explanation.

Thanks,
Matt

Aeronautical Radio, INC, I believe is what ARINC stands for. It is a network by which airplanes, namely airlines, can talk to their company, maintanence, dispatch, etcetera. They call on an arinc frequency and get a phone patch to whoever they need to talk to. For a fee, of course. Not sure, but I think civilians can use the system too.

Unicom is a way for pilots to communicate with an FBO at an airport.

I would suspect that the airports that have an ARINC frequency have airline or some other scheduled service.

Greg Bockelman said:
Aeronautical Radio, INC, I believe is what ARINC stands for. It is a network by which airplanes, namely airlines, can talk to their company, maintanence, dispatch, etcetera. They call on an arinc frequency and get a phone patch to whoever they need to talk to. For a fee, of course. Not sure, but I think civilians can use the system too.

I would suspect that the airports that have an ARINC frequency have airline or some other scheduled service.

West Mesa Aviation at Double Eagle has it, and I think they use it for people to contact them regarding fuel and whatnot. No airline service out of Double Eagle. I'll have to try it sometime and see if they freak on me.

SkyHog said:
West Mesa Aviation at Double Eagle has it, and I think they use it for people to contact them regarding fuel and whatnot. No airline service out of Double Eagle. I'll have to try it sometime and see if they freak on me.

Amazing site, AirNav. I got an 800 number for Double Eagle there and called them. According to the guy that answered the phone, they use it for flight school use. It isn't for the general public to order fuel and what not.

Greg Bockelman said:

I'm sure anyone can use it, it's the aviation version of the marine operator (which since the advent of the Cell Phone and satellite coms has been reduced to about 4 stations all on single side band freqs, used to be everywhere on VHF). The costs will be exhorbidant. MO was $5 minimum to just connect, and the best thing is everyone can listen to your call. The local MO channel was always great entertainment and was an oilfield "party line".

Busy FBOs usually have an ARINC frequency. It's used for about the same purpose as UNICOM such as warning them you're on the way, ordering fuel or services in advance, etc. It's easier when the FBO has an ARINC frequency because you're not competing with everyone on 122.95.

Henning said:
I'm sure anyone can use it, it's the aviation version of the marine operator (which since the advent of the Cell Phone and satellite coms has been reduced to about 4 stations all on single side band freqs, used to be everywhere on VHF). The costs will be exhorbidant. MO was $5 minimum to just connect, and the best thing is everyone can listen to your call. The local MO channel was always great entertainment and was an oilfield "party line".

Henning, when Celia and I used to live in SoCal (Fullerton, a fine city), I used to listen in on San Pedro MO at times, and one would be amazed at what we could hear.

This one time, guy contacts the MO, places call to wife, tells her howdy, that his ship has new load and he's on his way south to Guayaquil, and he'll be back home in a few days, miss you, love you, blah blah blah. Then, places another call, to girlfriend in San Diego, says he'll be docking in a matter of hours, they plan big nght out and he says he can stay around for a few days this time.

Often wondered how long he thought he could keep that up, when all details (including phone numbers of both wimmen) are broadcast...

SCCutler said:
Henning, when Celia and I used to live in SoCal (Fullerton, a fine city), I used to listen in on San Pedro MO at times, and one would be amazed at what we could hear.

This one time, guy contacts the MO, places call to wife, tells her howdy, that his ship has new load and he's on his way south to Guayaquil, and he'll be back home in a few days, miss you, love you, blah blah blah. Then, places another call, to girlfriend in San Diego, says he'll be docking in a matter of hours, they plan big nght out and he says he can stay around for a few days this time.

Often wondered how long he thought he could keep that up, when all details (including phone numbers of both wimmen) are broadcast...

Years... nobody would rat him out, it would be like cancelling a soapopera. This used to be big entertainment offshore on the late night wheel watches.

I always thought Arinc was some sort of data link. How would I go about using it for voice coms? Would I have to pay?

I have always thought an OnStar type setup for aviation would be great. So many times in the air I have need a pit stop suggestion for good food, an open FBO, or a good gas price. Maybe someone to patch a phone call or forward a message. I would be willing to pay for it! Would you?

Last edited:
ErikU said:
I always thought Arinc was some sort of data link. How would I go about using it for voice coms? Would I have to pay?
My understanding is that ARINC is a company that provides all kinds of communications solutions among other things.

http://www.arinc.com/

What I think the original poster was referring to was the ARINC frequency that's sometimes listed for an FBO in addition to the UNICOM frequency in pubications like the AOPA directory an Ac-u-kwik. Using this frequency is free to pilots although I assume the FBO has to pay ARINC to have it set up.

Yea, that's pretty much what I was trying to ask. I've seen FBOs list both ARINC and UNICOM freqs in the directories and was trying to find out if there is a functional difference between the two from a pilot's POV.

Matthew said:
Yea, that's pretty much what I was trying to ask. I've seen FBOs list both ARINC and UNICOM freqs in the directories and was trying to find out if there is a functional difference between the two from a pilot's POV.

Nope. ARINC frequency will not be used as a CTAF.

Back