ARINC (communications)

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
I was just talking to a pilot friend and he asked about a listing for ARINC in the AFD (the air-to-ground frequency. Not the standards for avionics interfaces).

I have seen ARINC listed on many AFD pages, and I have noticed that it usually shares the frequency that one would use to hail an FBO to arrange a taxi or quick fuel turn.

Other than this, I cannot say I have ever used ARINC or understand what it is... Anyone care to enlighten me ?

Thanks.

Here's the Jepp chart with frequencies. Go here for a link to the picture view. I haven't used it in years - at this point, I just type them a message on the FMS if I need to. :yesnod:

Attachments

• ARINC-2.pdf
    250.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The Stace Shuttle has arrived!

We use it (on very rare occasion) to call the company in flight (they do VHF to phone line patches) or to contact MedLink (to talk directly to a doctor in flight). But that's about it. With the advent of FMS/ACARS, we don't use them much anymore. But there are still parts of the country with poor ACARS coverage, and some things that warrant a phone call instead of a text message. From what I hear, it can be pretty expensive to use ARINC.

I was just talking to a pilot friend and he asked about a listing for ARINC in the AFD (the air-to-ground frequency. Not the standards for avionics interfaces).

I have seen ARINC listed on many AFD pages, and I have noticed that it usually shares the frequency that one would use to hail an FBO to arrange a taxi or quick fuel turn.

Other than this, I cannot say I have ever used ARINC or understand what it is... Anyone care to enlighten me ?

Thanks.

Since nobody has really given an answer... my guess... is that its a private, third party communications service that provides various communications services to aircraft... presumably for a subscription or for-service fee.

Oceanic Clearances.. company/business traffic... stuff that I am guessing the typical spam can renter will rarely use.

Since nobody has really given an answer... my guess... is that its a private, third party communications service that provides various communications services to aircraft... presumably for a subscription or for-service fee.
I think this is the ARINC service which you are referring to, the ARINC frequency which FBOs have.

http://www.arinc.com/products/voice_data_comm/agrs.html

The ARINC Air Ground Radio Service is a very high frequency (VHF) air-ground-air radio system that enables communications between airport terminal and ramp area personnel, and the flight crew in the cockpit. The service consists of an AM two-way radio line-of-sight system with a base station and cockpit-installed radios operating in the 128.875 MHz to 132.0 MHz aeronautical frequency band.

From Wikipedia
ARINC was incorporated in 1929 as Aeronautical Radio, Incorporated. It was chartered by the Federal Radio Commission (which later became the Federal Communications Commission) in order to serve as the airline industry’s single licensee and coordinator of radio communication outside of the government. The corporation's stock was held by four major airlines of the day. Through most of its history, ARINC was owned by airlines and other aviation-related companies such as Boeing until the sale to Carlyle.
Not much later ARINC took on the responsibility for all ground-based, aeronautical radio stations and for ensuring station compliance with FRC rules and regulations.

In short, FBOs were assigned a freq by ARINC, as a proxy for the FCC. Each individual station did not have to go to the FCC for a license. ARINC did the freq management and deconfliction.

In short, FBOs were assigned a freq by ARINC, as a proxy for the FCC. Each individual station did not have to go to the FCC for a license. ARINC did the freq management and deconfliction.

Ahh, that 'splains what I heard the other day: tower telling someone to contact the FBO "on the ARINC frequency."

Back