Argh!

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Argh! (The Saga Continues)

Just a little vent here:

I good friend of mine flies right seat for a feller that owns a Citation. A while back I had mentioned to my friend that I might put a Garmin 696 or 796 in my recently bought 182. He informed me that the dude he flies for has just bought a 796 to replace his 696 and would be willing to part with the latter. So I called the guy up and made an offer on the unit, and we quickly agreed on a price. He informed me that he needed to get the XM subscription switched over to the 796 before we can barter, and he's really busy, so it be a week before he gets around to it. No problem. He told me to give him a jingle in a week or so and he should have it ready. I called him a week later. He said he's been swamped and just hasn't had a chance to get out to the airport. Again he said to call him in a few days, which would be the following weekend. No problem. I called him at the specified time, and he tells me he just forgot, but give him a shout on Wednesday night and he'll have it ready. I called Wednesday night, and he said he's been working a job on the other side of the state, and couldn't get it done. I called him this past Saturday to inform him that I will actually be in his hometown for the weekend, and would be glad to meet him at the airport, his home, or anywhere that is convenient for him to make the exchange. Again, he was working out of town. Anyway, it's been 5 weeks since we agreed on a price and all he has to do is swap over the XM. What does that take? 10 minutes? According to my friend, this dude pretty much thinks the world revolves around him. He can't keep to any schedule, can't stick to a plan, but expects my friend to be ready to fly at a moments notice. I can't stand that kind of person, and I'm beginning to have reservations about bartering with him on principle. BUT, I won't find a 696 for this price anywhere, and I'm really not in a big hurry for it. I don't mind waiting at all if the fella is busy, but I just hacks me off when someone just tells me what I want to hear and doesn't keep his word. It's simply lying in my opinion.

Anywho, just needed to vent a little. Thanks, and have a wonderful day :)

Last edited:
"So much time has passed since the original price, I don't feel comfortable paying the previously agreed price because the value has dropped."

lol

I believe he can suspend the XM subscription on the 696 then reactivity it later on the 796. There is a time limit though to do it without incurring another activation fee.

We'll see how it pans out, but I'll bet you a Jackson that he'll wait until the next Citation flight and ask my friend to swap the subscription for him.

I believe he can suspend the XM subscription on the 696 then reactivity it later on the 796. There is a time limit though to do it without incurring another activation fee.
I meant to say he can suspend the subscription on the 696 by telephone. He doesn't need to be at the device.

When's he ready to do the deal, take the unit and give him the runaround for equal amount of time.

Or, just walk away from it. No deal is worth me chasing someone around to give them my money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walk. No one is that important. What bothers me is yoiu think so little of your time and effort.

Just a little vent here:

I good friend of mine flies right seat for a feller that owns a Citation. A while back I had mentioned to my friend that I might put a Garmin 696 or 796 in my recently bought 182. He informed me that the dude he flies for has just bought a 796 to replace his 696 and would be willing to part with the latter. So I called the guy up and made an offer on the unit, and we quickly agreed on a price. He informed me that he needed to get the XM subscription switched over to the 796 before we can barter, and he's really busy, so it be a week before he gets around to it. No problem. He told me to give him a jingle in a week or so and he should have it ready. I called him a week later. He said he's been swamped and just hasn't had a chance to get out to the airport. Again he said to call him in a few days, which would be the following weekend. No problem. I called him at the specified time, and he tells me he just forgot, but give him a shout on Wednesday night and he'll have it ready. I called Wednesday night, and he said he's been working a job on the other side of the state, and couldn't get it done. I called him this past Saturday to inform him that I will actually be in his hometown for the weekend, and would be glad to meet him at the airport, his home, or anywhere that is convenient for him to make the exchange. Again, he was working out of town. Anyway, it's been 5 weeks since we agreed on a price and all he has to do is swap over the XM. What does that take? 10 minutes? According to my friend, this dude pretty much thinks the world revolves around him. He can't keep to any schedule, can't stick to a plan, but expects my friend to be ready to fly at a moments notice. I can't stand that kind of person, and I'm beginning to have reservations about bartering with him on principle. BUT, I won't find a 696 for this price anywhere, and I'm really not in a big hurry for it. I don't mind waiting at all if the fella is busy, but I just hacks me off when someone just tells me what I want to hear and doesn't keep his word. It's simply lying in my opinion.

Anywho, just needed to vent a little. Thanks, and have a wonderful day :)

So your buddy right seats for the seller?

Just give your friend the money, have him buy it and do whatever on the XM and ship it to you :dunno:

Walk. No one is that important. What bothers me is yoiu think so little of your time and effort.

I haven't put much effort into it really. Just a few phone calls. I just prefer people do what they say they're gonna do. It's a matter of principle.

So your buddy right seats for the seller?

Just give your friend the money, have him buy it and do whatever on the XM and ship it to you :dunno:

That was originally what I had in mind, but they haven't flown in several weeks. I was attempting to get it a little sooner. At this point, I want to meet the dude face to face so I can tell him he's chump. :yes:

I haven't put much effort into it really. Just a few phone calls. I just prefer people do what they say they're gonna do. It's a matter of principle.

That was originally what I had in mind, but they haven't flown in several weeks. I was attempting to get it a little sooner. At this point, I want to meet the dude face to face so I can tell him he's chump. :yes:

Be careful telling him he's a chump if he knows it's your friend in the right seat.:nono: He can't take it out on you, but it's not hard to find a right seater for an old Citation.;)

The guy is doing you a favor selling it to you at a price better than you can find anywhere else, and you want to call him a chump?

The guy is doing you a favor selling it to you at a price better than you can find anywhere else, and you want to call him a chump?

It's got nothing to do with the price. He set the price, and I agreed to pay it. Simple as that.

It has to do with him not doing what he says he's going to do, every time we've spoken. That's 100%.

I believe the OP is arguing the seller's flawed character, not the deal itself.
Some of us have honesty in them, some of us even have good manners. Not all people are like us. :(

I once made a great deal too and was willing to wait some in exchange for the opportunity. The seller was nice, yet busy. Afterall, a good transaction.

If the deal is very sweet and you are willing to put up with this kind of a seller, you need to kiss up and shut up. It might be worth it in the end. Just keep pressure on him or have your right-seat friend help out too. Good luck!

I believe the OP is arguing the seller's flawed character, not the deal itself.
Some of us have honesty in them, some of us even have good manners. Not all people are like us. :(

I once made a great deal too and was willing to wait some in exchange for the opportunity. The seller was nice, yet busy. Afterall, a good transaction.

If the deal is very sweet and you are willing to put up with this kind of a seller, you need to kiss up and shut up. It might be worth it in the end. Just keep pressure on him or have your right-seat friend help out too. Good luck!

You got it.

It's not a good enough deal for me to kiss up, but for now, I will just remain patient. If I were in a hurry, I would have bought one somewhere else weeks ago.

Obviously the guy is not a man of his word.....walk.

A year from now your buddy will discover it laying in a box somewhere. The cat prolly just doesn't want to be bothered with the small stuff in life.

Re: Argh! (The Saga Continues)

The next chapter in the Great Garmin Epic:

Last weekend, roughly 7 weeks since the verbal agreement, I contact the seller of the GPS unit. He informed me that he finally went out to the hangar and retrieved the unit, has swapped over the XM subscription to the his new unit, and is ready for me to pick it up. This is the news I've been waiting for! Hooray! I asked him when would be a good time for me to pick it up. He said he was free Wednesday (today), and I happened to be free today as well. He needed to be in Oklahoma City at 5:30 pm, which is roughly halfway between our homes, so we decided on 5:15 pm at Bass Pro Shops in downtown OKC. Fantastic!
So I went to OKC and parked in the Bass Pro parking lot at the specified time. After about 15 minutes, I shot the fella a text, "are you here yet?" Another 10 minutes later, he called me up. "Dude, you ain't gonna believe this," he exclaimed. Uh, oh, I knew where this was going. I replied, "You forgot it didn't you." He says "Well, I put the GPS in the back seat of my Escalade, but we drove my wife's Escalade, so it's still in my garage. I didn't realize it until we were sitting at Bass Pro, then I couldn't find you number. I called 4 different people hoping it was your number." I was thinking, you gotta be kiddin' me! We just spoke on the phone last night, and we've spoken at least 8-10 times by now.
So, he tells me he'd be glad to buy me some gas if I go on to his house (another 50 miles away) and pick it up. Reluctantly, I agreed. I was already 60 miles down the road, might as well go another 50 and have this fiasco over with. So off I went.
Upon arrival at his gated castle, his son met me at the garage and handed me the Garmin 696 with two different mounts and associated cables. I laid it all out on my hood to take stock. To my amazement, there was a Garmin 696 with one half of a ball and socket type RAM mount screwed to the back, and two mounts and associated cables for his 796! Holy schnikies! After all that running around, the dude didn't even bring the right crap home from the hangar. I called him up and told him what the deal was and he said that Anthony (which is my buddy that flies for him) is the only one that really messes with that stuff and he didn't really know what goes with what.
So, I now have the 696, half of a mount, and no charger. He said he'd mail the rest of it to me tomorrow. We'll see if that is the conclusion to this saga.

Where is the favor? Saying he'd sell it to him and doing it are two different things.

Interesting story. I have had a few adventures of my own with folks who weren't dependable. One of my adventures cost me multiple thousands with one of those folks and it isn't an aviation story.

sometimes waiting out an unmotivated seller works out well, and if you haven't put down any money it's no skin off your back

several years ago my wife spotted a vw convertible on ebay that was about to end, it was a terrible description, no pictures, etc. It had no bids and a starting price very cheap if it ran at all. I told her to bid, if the car wasn't worth buying then I'd tell them to stuff it when we went to see it. She was the high (and only) bid. i emailed the seller and no response. A couple days later emailed again with my phone number, still no answer. i wrote it off as a scammer and never gave it a another thought. Maybe 6 weeks later i get a call, seller says he got called out of the country for work, was back now and if we still wanted the car, he still had it. I went to see it and it wasn't a showpiece, but it sure wasn't bad. My wife drove that car for several summers and then we sold it for double our money, using ebay but with photos and answering emails.

It's got nothing to do with the price. He set the price, and I agreed to pay it. Simple as that.

It has to do with him not doing what he says he's going to do, every time we've spoken. That's 100%.

So he makes a promise, has too many balls in the air and doesn't keep it. Then you choose to get upset about it.

Everyone gets to decide how to react. Either be patient with him and do the deal or bail on it. Or, as you've chosen, keep being upset with him, but I don't understand what you're getting out of it.

It's funny how some of you guys have taken this. It's quite difficult to convey my tone and/or emotion with the written word, and I'm not much of a writer. At this point, this whole ordeal is mostly just comical. I'd say it has been somewhat irritating at times when he fails to keep to his own word, and when I had to tack on about 2.5 hours of driving because he drove the wrong Escalade to the meeting, but I'm not going to pieces over it. Frankly, I just kind of wanted to poke a little fun at the fella here on POA because he seems to be a scatterbrained son of a gun.
As I mentioned before, if I was in a great big hurry for it, I would have bought a different one weeks ago. I'm just along for this guy's ride. I have done everything at his request, and on his schedule, and he consistently fails to deliver on his promises.
He even told me last night that he can't believe how well I've taken all his bull crap. To quote him, "Man, If I were you I would be ready to whoop my a**." I just told him I'm not that kind of feller, and we'll get 'er done eventually. The truth is, I was pretty hacked off, but I believe in keeping ones composure and taking the high road in situations that test ones patience. That doesn't mean I'm not going to bust his b*lls a little on POA. :wink2:

Thanks for reading :D

Last edited:
Back