Argh... Stuck in Palm Springs...

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
So we spent new years down in Palm springs. Got ready to check the weather to see how bad it really was for getting home. PIREPS for yesterday were for severe turbulence and severe icing. Those were coming from a Challenger, Citation and a Pilatus.

I decided not to fly the Bonanza home... :)

AirBaker said:
So we spent new years down in Palm springs. Got ready to check the weather to see how bad it really was for getting home. PIREPS for yesterday were for severe turbulence and severe icing. Those were coming from a Challenger, Citation and a Pilatus.

Last time I was in Palm Springs the meeting room next to the one I was in had Barry Manilow working up his material for an upcoming concert.

3 days of Mandy oh mandy...:mad:

There are worse places to get stuck.

GaryO said:
There are worse places to get stuck.

Well we drove home last night. So I've just got to go pick it up sometime soon. But yeah, there are worse places.

I must say that PSP area is pretty unique to weather. Warm and just high overcast with the tall mountains surrounding it. Even though Ontario and Riverside appeared to get pounded by this storm.

The Banning pass, 2000 ft with 10k ft mountains on either side is darn windy. Makes for a sporting ride on the way in/out. :)

Palm Springs? My heart bleeds. ;)

Its better than being stuck in Marcus Hook. :( Not that I was stuck there.

as in Marcus Hook, PA :eek: ??????

where was that island Tom Hanks was stranded on in the movie? I would take that over the hook........still LMAO

Oh man, not Palm Springs! Next time that happens, let us at POA know. Since pilots are always willing to help each other out, I'm sure we could get a group to volunteer to drive down and rescue you, especially with your kind offer of reimbursement for gas, lodging, golf, etc. :D

Yeah, sorry we missed ya John! It's too bad we can't log our 'social' flights ahead of time for such a purpose. We rented a cool little 3 bedroom house with pool, hot tub, and big screen tv.

Interesting crowd out there in PSP. :) Spent 2/3 nights out at the village pub.

p8cleared2land said:
Oh man, not Palm Springs! Next time that happens, let us at POA know. Since pilots are always willing to help each other out, I'm sure we could get a group to volunteer to drive down and rescue you, especially with your kind offer of reimbursement for gas, lodging, golf, etc. :D

Funny. :) I recognized one of the Challengers parked out on the ramp at Signature. When we were renting the car, I was calling back up to my buddies at the FBO here to see who's it was and if they had space for 4 people and small bags. :) Flexjet... no go.

If the weather is good, I'm back down there on Sat.

GMascelli said:
as in Marcus Hook, PA :eek: ??????

where was that island Tom Hanks was stranded on in the movie? I would take that over the hook........still LMAO

Where else? I grew up in Springfield, Delco so, unfortunately I know where it is. Don't know which is worse, the Hook or Essington. :)

Or Maybe......Chester (not Chester County, Chester City in Delaware County). :no:

AirBaker said:

One of my favorite diversions when I am "stuck" in Palm Springs is to drive down the valley and go out in the desert east of Mecca. There is a place down there where you can stand right on top of the San Adreas fault. The fault grinds the dirt in it to a fine powder and extrudes it up to the surface, where it stands up in piles that would erode away in a flash except they get so little rain. The first time I was there was with a guide, and he claims that they filmed several scenes there for the original Star Trek series, as the terrain looks so other worldly. I can believe it but have never seen an episode that looked remotely like the area so... :dunno:

Next time you are stuck in PS try going down to Mecca and beaming yourself outta there! :D

-Skip

Back