Argh! Chicago Approach ruins lakeshore route

Who is "they"? Approach? Center? If you are going to DPA, ARR, LOT, etc. the preferred route is EON JOT. Aircraft landing airports north of ORD that file "NO OVER WATER" in the remarks generally get the same routing.

Probably where I was it was center. I was still in Indiana. I got a "27K you can go direct KELSI if you like." I acknowledged it and started to head that way when I said "Wait a minute, I'm going to GYY".

A moment later they cleared some Belanca to go direct to KELSI. It might not have been DPA that he was heading to, but something over on the west side of Chicago.

I've certainly not ever made it from Indiana to points north of Chicago without going to KELSI. I asked once if there was any altitude I could request that would avoid that (they thought about it for a minute and said no). I usually file for GYY or whatever and cancel and go under or over the class B on a direct route. Amusingly, they're happy to provide flight following on that route though even then it doesn't stop ORD departures from getting RA's when they climb out into my flight path.

I vote to mix it up even a little more and get Meigs Field back up and running:yes:

Whos with me ??:goofy:

Probably where I was it was center. I was still in Indiana. I got a "27K you can go direct KELSI if you like." I acknowledged it and started to head that way when I said "Wait a minute, I'm going to GYY".

A moment later they cleared some Belanca to go direct to KELSI. It might not have been DPA that he was heading to, but something over on the west side of Chicago.

I've certainly not ever made it from Indiana to points north of Chicago without going to KELSI. I asked once if there was any altitude I could request that would avoid that (they thought about it for a minute and said no). I usually file for GYY or whatever and cancel and go under or over the class B on a direct route. Amusingly, they're happy to provide flight following on that route though even then it doesn't stop ORD departures from getting RA's when they climb out into my flight path.

If GYY was your FP destination from over Indiana, the preferred route is CGT direct.

You can also file LUCIT BEARZ direct if you don't mind going over the water if your destination is a north satellite field (i.e. PWK, UGN, C81, or 10C).

Back