Arelplane.com Visualising where you have been...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
If you have your flights in a digital logbook like MyFlightBook or ForeFlight, then you might be interested in this visualisation solution... https://www.arelplane.com/

upload_2017-9-29_10-37-39.png upload_2017-9-29_10-39-10.png

I think it has a lot of potential. It certainly is pretty. And runways become visible as you zoom in. Feels quicker than the other online map viewers, too.

If any arelplane developers read this, I like the transparent icons, but I'd clip the route lines at the border of the circle... having the lines show through looks kinda sloppy.

Nice, though they seem to only import Foreflight at the moment. MyFlightbook has similar functionality (exports to Google Earth), but this is much prettier than what I have.

Nice, though they seem to only import Foreflight at the moment. MyFlightbook has similar functionality (exports to Google Earth), but this is much prettier than what I have.
And it imported the MFB information easy enough from the Dropbox location.

I was able to import my MFB information but it has a ton of erroneous data. It's missing about 600 hours and many, many airports. It also has many of my flights flying over to Europe.

For example, FLD, Fond-du-lac, WI, is plotted as a flight to the FLD VOR in Friedland, Germany. ADS, Addison, TX, is Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia. And lots of others.

I'm reasonably sure this is due to the use of three-letter airport identifiers in my logbook not having the preceding "K". However, most people I know don't put the "K" in front of the airport ID in the U.S. - so it's going to be a lot of people who use the site.

For example, FLD, Fond-du-lac, WI, is plotted as a flight to the FLD VOR in Friedland, Germany. ADS, Addison, TX, is Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia. And lots of others.

I'm reasonably sure this is due to the use of three-letter airport identifiers in my logbook not having the preceding "K". However, most people I know don't put the "K" in front of the airport ID in the U.S. - so it's going to be a lot of people who use the site.

I put a flight into Avare for the weekend, and left off the "K" from my destination. Turns out that while KECP is an airport in Florida, ECP is a VOR in West Virginia that is not between Lower Alabama and the beach . . .

You gott be careful, computers don't care. Garbage In, Garbage Out isn't the fault of the computer . . . .

I put a flight into Avare for the weekend, and left off the "K" from my destination. Turns out that while KECP is an airport in Florida, ECP is a VOR in West Virginia that is not between Lower Alabama and the beach . . .

You gott be careful, computers don't care. Garbage In, Garbage Out isn't the fault of the computer . . . .

I can't find an ECP VOR in West Virginia (or anywhere). Are you sure? I checked Foreflight, Skyvector, Airnav, and Google. Typo maybe?

Regarding the logbook issue, any logbook that ignores the history of U.S. airports having three-letter IDs is ignoring a great percentage of users. It has been traditional for decades to log "HSD - PWA" and not "KHSD - KPWA". That's not garbage-in, that how it was done, and still is for many/most pilots. That "K" stuff didn't really start happening until GPS came along, but really took off in the last few years with everybody using tablets for flight planning - typing the preceding "K" became more normal and then made it into the logbooks.

I'm not about to go back and update every entry over the past 24 years to add a K so that I can see a map. Some filtering or user preference setting would solve the issue.

I was able to import my MFB information but it has a ton of erroneous data. It's missing about 600 hours and many, many airports. It also has many of my flights flying over to Europe.

For precisely that information, MyFlightbook matches XYZ to KXYZ (if XYZ isn't a direct database hit), and KXYZ to XYZ (if KXYZ isn't a direct database hit). It gets very confusing for people. E.g., Boston Logan is simple: it's KBOS (ICAO) or BOS (FAA/IATA). But Maui, for example, is "OGG" in FAA and IATA speak but PHOG in ICAO speak; nevertheless, "KOGG" works in MyFlightbook. Similarly, 0S9 (Jefferson County, WA) has *no* (last I looked) ICAO code, so technically K0S9 doesn't even exist (but I support it).

I also, for the reasons above, treat "BOS" as Boston Logan (bias towards airports), but you can use @BOS if you really really want to specify the VOR...

Back