Area 51 VORTAC

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
All of the Google Earth stuff I saw on the forums today made me do my normal look at Area 51, which still interests me quite a bit.

Today, while looking, I saw something that looked a bit like a VOR....I zoomed in, and sure enough, there's a VOR/TAC on field there.

Would be curious to hear the ID on that one, see if there's a message about unauthorized use or something....

Here's the kmz.

Attachments

• Area51VOR.kmz
    669 bytes · Views: 60
Nick, you should fly in to L92 and see if you can tune it in... :)

Nick, you should fly in to L92 and see if you can tune it in... :)

lol - "RWY 15/33 ROUGH WITH SMALL WASHES ENTIRE LENGTH; RY 33 END IS NOT MAINTAINED." Sounds fun!

BUT - I don't even know the frequency for the VOR!

Used to be TACAN Channel 85, as anyone flying by with a TACAN could discover. Dunno what the ID is.

The people who work there get flown in every day. They need a way to find the place.

Used to be TACAN Channel 85, as anyone flying by with a TACAN could discover. Dunno what the ID is.

I never responded to this...so what did one see/hear when tuning in TACAN channel 85?

I'd lol myself if Area 51 aircraft need a VOR to find the place.

I work about 3 miles west of McCarran, and I watch them come and go all day long

I never responded to this...so what did one see/hear when tuning in TACAN channel 85?

artikelbild_abc_015.jpg

All of the Google Earth stuff I saw on the forums today made me do my normal look at Area 51, which still interests me quite a bit.

Today, while looking, I saw something that looked a bit like a VOR....I zoomed in, and sure enough, there's a VOR/TAC on field there.

Would be curious to hear the ID on that one, see if there's a message about unauthorized use or something....

Here's the kmz.

If you find a runway, wouldn't you expect to find a tacan?

The needle swung to point straight towards the big dry lake in the middle of the "box" and the distance locked up on your distance from the dry lake. I forget what the ID was when you turned that up.

Back