Are you watching the moon go away?

Wish we could see it here, but been solid overcast for three days.

The ghost of the dark moon is showing in the arms of the light moon. Cool.

Neighbor just took a photo of it with his cell phone. Using flash. Will post.
It is yellowish and quite interesting. Frogs and crickets only noise. Dogs are strangely quiet.

I watched it until about 10 minutes ago when the clouds came in and swallowed it. :(

Different neighbor is out shooting his gun.

It's reddish here.

e7ab9a3ab099a3262295d45e6bc1d6f6.jpg

Hmm... I didn't mean for it to turn out so big.

I got some pics on my camera through my telescope. I'll upload a few sometime tomorrow, I don't think they came out very well, though. I just held it up to the eyepiece.

Fixed for Mari :yes:

Thanks! I posted that from Tapatalk since my camera downloads wirelessly to my iPad, then I opened this thread on my computer. It seems that whenever I post a photo from Tapatalk it turns out BIG.

We sat in folding chairs on the driveway and enjoyed it. Great view, great weather.

Quite a few airliners cruised by at altitude as we watched, each with a set of red green and strobe lights. It looked as if they zipped right by the vanishing moon.

Is it a redneck thing, to shoot guns when there's a lunar eclipse?

... to shoot a gun ... when the sun is up ... when it is too hot ... when you feel like it ... whenever.

Doesn't happen here.

Thankfully I was able to enjoy the eclipse with nothing worse than a few dog barks.

The eclipse was already total at moonrise, so although it was clear here in Portland, the view at first was dim and unimpressive.

IMG_4665.JPG

While waiting for twilight to fade, there was the unexpected sound of a pair of big radial engines from the nearby Willamette River. It was a Grumman Albatross taking off under the Fremont Bridge.

IMG_4666.JPG

It finally got dark enough for a good view as totality was ending.

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

I'm about 50 miles north of Mari/Everskyward. Pretty cloudy here.
Kinda looked like the wide view most of the night, and wasn't as red as I hoped for. Still, pretty darn cool stuff!
RyanShort1 - great pic! Must be a nicely fast lens.

Attachments

• IMG_5286.JPG
    IMG_5286.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0652.jpg
    DSC_0652.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 9
@ groundPOINTfive: Good catch!! :thumbsup:

Thx. I had already taken all the shots i wanted and my brother asked why i didn't want one with that plane that's about to fly in front of it.

Solid overcast here last night; no joy. Watched the inside of my eyelids instead.

Thx. I had already taken all the shots i wanted and my brother asked why i didn't want one with that plane that's about to fly in front of it.

That was nice!

I especially like the strobe-light flashes, strung like little pearls on the strings from the nav lights.

Here's another aviation-related photo of the eclipse, from bbc.com. I like the blurring of the moon's limb, due to the jet exhaust.

_85784091_ceec2e44-0100-4b5b-af8b-cc3e418d26eb.jpg

I brought my scope (6" Dobs) out on the front porch and held my camera up to the eyepiece. The exposure times were about 1 second, so many were blurry. Here are the best I could do. I don't know which order they will upload, but the ones with the bright limbs were taken at the end of the eclipse, about 10 minutes apart so you can see the shadow leaving.

In a couple of the totality pictures, you can see some stars right up next to the moon, normally invisible because of the brightness of the moon.

I didn't get any good pix at the beginning because I was messing around too much with the proper camera settings, and the neighbor kids were having too much fun with the telescope.

Attachments

• DSCN2568.JPG
    DSCN2568.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2570.JPG
    DSCN2570.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2571.JPG
    DSCN2571.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2572.JPG
    DSCN2572.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2574.JPG
    DSCN2574.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2575.JPG
    DSCN2575.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2576.JPG
    DSCN2576.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2577.JPG
    DSCN2577.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2578.JPG
    DSCN2578.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Matthew, that's exactly what we saw with our scope too. Not as bright red/orange but when the moon stepped out of Earth's shadow, it nearly burned our retinas. :)

We got lucky with the cloud cover. It was present during the onset but dissipated throughout the eclipse. Yay.

Something we don't see every day for sure!
Great pictures, guys. Thanks.

Back