Are You Stealing?

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I was at Freeway Airport as usual today. I decided that before I head home I'd get some pics for my aviation management class project. I'm focusing on Cessna's role in aviation. I', taking the pics and then an older gentleman walks up and asks "can I help you?" (This is a small airport, I am in the grass tie down area.) I introduce myself and tell him what I'm doing and why. He asks, "Do you own an aircraft? You aren't allowed here." I told him no but I am not touching the aircraft nor am I near the taxiway or runway. He immediately says "why are you even at an airport you have no business here." I was offended but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope he didn't intend to seem racist but whatever.

He then asks why I'm taking pictures of "all of the planes." I explain that I'm working on a paper about Cessna yada yada. He asks about the Piper's. I explain that I need to have pictures of comparable aircraft. He isn't "buying" my story and claims that it's fishy. He asks if I have permission. Here's the fun part!

I say, "Yes sir on multiple occassions the desk staff as well as the owner of the airport has given me permission. I also have a valid TSA endorsement, valid driver's license, valid student ID, valid amtrak ID, and valid 1st class medical and SPC." He asks," What date did you get this so called permission?" I reply with, "many times and from Stan, during the pig roast this past June." He then says, "Okay whatever pal let's go inside and find Stan (the owner). You don't belong here period." Again I take that as in this area, not in aviation or the airport. Stuff can get confused and I'm not one to how do they say, bust a cap in yo arse or the like. I tell him that I have a pocket knife so fyi (don't need trouble) as we walk into the FBO. Inside he tells the gentleman at the desk to "keep on eye on him" and then looks for Stan. Stan has left already but he finds four mechanics and looks for the maintenance manager. The CFI there (a friend) tells him I'm cool, the mechanics say the same, and the desk guy says, once again, I am well known and have permission! Then comes the best part. One mechanic says "he's actually an apprentice here."

I find out that he told them he has a shady black teen casing aircraft. I know that we have a radio theft problem but why did he single me out? I'm not implying that it was over skin color but if you see a white gentleman taking pictures with a nice $3,000 Nikon DSLR (actually asked me who's camera it was :rofl:) you don't think anything of it. Oh he's a pro photographer or something. However I don't mind if that was his reasoning. If I owned one I'd be glad he's looking out for all of us. I understand that airplanes and avionics are not cheap but he did not have to be so rude and nasty. He did call the police however.

I was done there for the day and was on my way out anyway. I went inside and we all had a laugh over what just happened and how ****ed the guy was that I got off. I believe it was the same guy that called the police last winter when I was there moving planes at 7am (dark) with another "black" gentleman (Same exact car). As I left the airport three PGPD squads passed me on the opposite side of the street. They sure did turn into the airport.

This is the one rude,nasty, unwelcoming pilot that I have met. For that matter one of the few potentially racially motivated watchdogs as well. I think he was racist because he assumed that I was the one that has been stealing the comm's and gps's. This is a diverse airport. You can see all the colors of the rainbow here. I hear this has happened before but regardless, racists are racists. His color doesn't mean a thing. Neither does mine.

I'm starting my apprenticeship on Wednesday and I am excited. Might service his airplane since I've seen it in the shop there before. I'm not going to be any less professional because of this though.

I honestly find it amusing. Especially how ****ed he got when they asked what's wrong and said "oh yeah that's Greg. He's here, he takes pictures, he flies here, going to work here." Never seen a guy so red :D

Have a great long weekend! Get in some safe and fun flying!

(On a side note the pictures won't be commercially used, only kept for the project and personal archives, and I generally ask owners (when the bird is at its tie down) if they want me to blur out the N#. In the air it's free game! 99.9% that I've met LOVE to have additional pics of their baby.
)

I'm really sorry that you have to put up with that kind of crap. :(

that sucks.

But the minute I felt like this was an uncooperative individual, I would have asked him if he had a reason to be there as well. Also to either show some identification that allows him to question you, and if he didn't have it, ask him to go find someone who does if he feels what you are doing is inappropriate.

As for him, you just need to wait for his generation to die. Not ever going to change people like that.

There's your problem, right there. Had you been rocking a Canon, you'd be good! :rofl:

Except he can buy the best Nikon on the market or what he was doing for $3000... for the inferior Canon, he's $500 short ;)

P.S. I am a Canon guy, but only because of the 10K in lenses. I would love to have a D800.

Except he can buy the best Nikon on the market or what he was doing for $3000... for the inferior Canon, he's $500 short ;)

P.S. I am a Canon guy, but only because of the 10K in lenses. I would love to have a D800.

Just get a Holga

Well, as another Stan is fond of saying, that's Pee Gee County for ya'!

In a couple of years, when I am eligible for the COW* Club (Maryland Chapter), I'll find this guy and poke him with my cane.

:rofl:

*Cranky Old Whities

Last edited:
He was way out of line. Sorry you had to experience that. If he truly thought you were a threat to the airport, he should have checked in with the airport management and let them handle it (not with you in tow). He should not have dragged you in there and embarassed you. It sounds like he is not only a racist, but probably a bully, as well.

He should not have dragged you in there and embarassed you. It sounds like he is not only a racist, but probably a bully, as well.

The upside of him doing it that way, is Greg probably got a lot of sympathy from everyone else there (because they felt horrible that it happened), and this old racist jerk is now the water cooler talk for a few days at the airport.

So score one for Greg.

Greg,

You DON'T have to allow people with a big ego and little sense, to question you without proper and clear ID that GIVES them authority.
Tell the guy to blow it out his ear and continue to enjoy the beautiful day.
These guys hang around airports and feel like honest to goodness, TSA (The STUPID Agency) rent a goons, until someone pulls their chain hard enough to get their attention.

Greg,

You DON'T have to allow people with a big ego and little sense, to question you without proper and clear ID that GIVES them authority.
These guys hang around airports and feel like honest to goodness, TSA (The STUPID Agency) rent a goons, until someone pulls their chain hard enough to get their attention.

I know that I do not have to show him ID but this is one of those things that gets out of hand quickly. I have nothing to hide and I have never met him before (obviously he doesn't fly much!) so I figured might as well let him have his little fit. In the end the rest of us had a good laugh and I learned who to say "Hi!" to. When I see him around I shall act like we're buddy buddy. That drives a lot of people crazy :D

One thing that I think was INCREDIBLY stupid was the fact that he confronted me. If I was stealing I could have just kicked the guy, even in the shin, and made a decent getaway. Maybe steal his wallet while he's on the ground. I think that was a dumb thing for his personal safety. Not to sound racist but you do not walk up to a young black male that you suspect is stealing and ask him if you can help him! That's asking for an a** whopping. Unless you're a cop (still a bad idea) 100% stupidest thing you can do. I'd just casually stroll into the fbo and notify them.

I asked my friend if I could borrow her Canon but she's Canon like Cessna is high winged. No problem letting her Nikon go! My usual camera looks like a DSLR but is a PNS and $100 black friday deal. Nobody knows though, mini DSLR they assume. Today I had the GOOD stuff.

This is really tough for me to hear. Sorry for what happened to you, especially because I never get bothered when I wander around airports and take photos.

I think jerks like that p**s everyone off. Self righteous bigots. Start a movement to get him and his airplane moved to another airport. Tell him folks don't want his kind around.

Anyway, that won't happen, but it felt good posting it.

-John

I know that I do not have to show him ID but this is one of those things that gets out of hand quickly. I have nothing to hide and I have never met him before (obviously he doesn't fly much!) so I figured might as well let him have his little fit. In the end the rest of us had a good laugh and I learned who to say "Hi!" to. When I see him around I shall act like we're buddy buddy. That drives a lot of people crazy :D

So neat to see you plan the "kill him with kindness" tactic. I used to play nice but lately I feel like a grumpy old lady.

Freeway. That's in Maryland, right? The "free" state. :rolleyes:

Hang in there Greg. The old geezer was just doing what he thought was right, but clearly he took it too far. You are suppose to report suspicious activity, not confront it.

The next time the old fart see you he will be your BF. :rofl:

We all know who the REAL suspicious criminal masterminds are... toddlers.

30m1e2h.jpg

Black punk, long hair smart ass punk, we're all the same...:rolleyes::lol: what can ya do about it though. In the end what should have come of it did, and that's what counts.

Kinda sad really, he just basically really embarrassed himself, not you.

Greg,

If you want to have fun, the minute he comes near you take his pic and call 911 and say some crazy old man is trying to kill you for your camera....send help quick...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back when, Brian Taylor (who now owns Heartland Aviation) flew one of those bug-looking ducted-prop observation airplanes from OJC to ADS for evaluation by the DEA. The agency occupied a ramp/hangar complex that was unmarked and supposedly unrestricted, so I pulled up in the Suburban waiting for him to have lunch before dropping him off to catch a commercial flight back to KC.

As I sat waiting, I noticed a somewhat swarthy but athletic-looking guy approaching the truck. He was wearing jeans, T-shirt and black leather jacket and a stubble of at least a few days growth. He walked up to my side window and asked "Can I help you?" to which I replied "No thanks, just waiting to take a guy to lunch." To which he responded very slowly, distinctly and with a pause between each word "I asked may I help you, Sir?" at which time I noticed the shoulder-holstered automatic protruding slightly inside his partially-zipped jacket. I pointed at the airplane, said the pilot would be out shortly and where did he want me to park. He said I was OK, to stay in the car and move on without delay when my pax emerged.

So I got out, took his gun away from him and kicked hisass. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You don't need to be black to get the local paranoid upset. One evening Hubby was waiting for a friend to arrive at the airport where they would both fly off together. This was at an FBO where he was unknown, but it was at the airport where our plane is tied down, so he was on the ramp side of the chain-link fence. Now, Hubby is an older gentleman, but not too old, and sometimes a little eccentric. His hair is usually kept from flying about with an old fedora and he sports a torn and patched threadbare coat and scuffed ancient shoes when he is working on the plane. The word 'derelict' comes to mind sometimes. So, the local sheriff drives up to where he is peering inside the window of an aircraft going "ooh ahh" over the then new glass panel. Patted him down, made him walk a line, and touch his nose before trying to find out why he was there. Despite seeing a license, absolutely did not believe he was a 'pilot' until the friend arrived in a jet, all spiffy, and basically said, "Come on, lets get going!"

Greg.... Chin up buddy and don't let this change your outlook on other pilots....
Now.. If it were me I would have pulled out the 1st class current medical cert and shoved it in his face and said ... Top that MF..:yesnod::D:rofl:

Back when, Brian Taylor (who now owns Heartland Aviation) flew one of those bug-looking ducted-prop observation airplanes from OJC to ADS for evaluation by the DEA. The agency occupied a ramp/hangar complex that was unmarked and supposedly unrestricted, so I pulled up in the Suburban waiting for him to have lunch before dropping him off to catch a commercial flight back to KC.

As I sat waiting, I noticed a somewhat swarthy but athletic-looking guy approaching the truck. He was wearing jeans, T-shirt and black leather jacket and a stubble of at least a few days growth. He walked up to my side window and asked "Can I help you?" to which I replied "No thanks, just waiting to take a guy to lunch." To which he responded very slowly, distinctly and with a pause between each word "I asked may I help you, Sir?" at which time I noticed the shoulder-holstered automatic protruding slightly inside his partially-zipped jacket. I pointed at the airplane, said the pilot would be out shortly and where did he want me to park. He said I was OK, to stay in the car and move on without delay when my pax emerged.

So I got out, took his gun away from him and kicked hisass. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What is "flew one of those bug-looking ducted-prop observation airplanes "

Greg,
Don't let it get you down, there are a-holes everywhere.. As you get older you will be more comfortable messing with them. ;) :yikes:

I'm too tired to get on my soapbox again (two days of server migrations), so I'll just say that I'm always saddened -- and baffled -- by that sort of attitude. And on behalf of the middle-aged white fart community, I'm very sorry that you had to go through that experience.

Not all of us are bigots; but the older I get, the more I realize that too many of us are.

It's something that I find very sad.

-Rich

Which word is causing you the most problem?

What is "flew one of those bug-looking ducted-prop observation airplanes "

Greg,
Don't let it get you down, there are a-holes everywhere.. As you get older you will be more comfortable messing with them. ;) :yikes:

Thanks, no wonder I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I have never seen one of those...

Not surprising, not many exist. I have only seen one at Farnsbourough and in pictures.

Back